Warm or hot weather condition is something seasonal. It makes sense to prepare ahead of time if you don’t want to be caught unaware. One best way to prepare for bad weather condition is to have a window fan. Window fans are affordable fans that can be fixed on your window for proper air circulation and cooling. Window fans are a better alternative to expensive air conditioners. They are strong, cost-effective, easy to install and maintain. If you are planning to purchase a window fan this summer, here is a review of the best 10 window fans you can choose from for your unparallel comfort.
Making a choice is a lot easier with the comparison table below. Carefully check the table in order to compare and make an informed opinion about your ideal window fan.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Window Fans – (Reviews & Buying Guide 2020)
- 1. Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan
- 2. Holmes Window Fan
- 3. Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
- 4. Holmes HAWF-2041 Twin Window Fan
- 5. Bionaire BWF0522M Compact Window Fan
- 6. Lasko Electric Reverse Window Fan W16900
- 7. Bionaire BWF0522E-BU Thin Window Fan
- 8. Air King 9166F Whole House Window Fan
- 9. Bionaire BWF0502M-WM Thin Window Fan
- 10. CCC Comfort Zone Twin Window Fan with Remote
- What to consider before buying and installing a window fan
- How to install a window fan?
- How to use a window fan?
- How to clean a window fan?
- How to oil air-conditioner fan motor?
- How to use a box fan on a window
- Final Verdict
10 Best Window Fans – (Reviews & Buying Guide 2020)
1. Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan
The Bionaire Twin Window Fan is a sophisticated double window fan with remote control for your maximum comfort. It comes with a thermostat that measures the temperature of the room and an LCD screen to display room temperature. The fan has three speeds that you can select from. It is well designed for double window rooms. The fan measures 13-inch high.
- Three-speed settings – No matter your desired setting – high, medium or low – you are sure to get a great cooling system with nice breezy air circulation.
- Programmable LED thermostat – Choose your preferred temperature for your room with the thermostat and enjoy super and fresh breeze cooling always
- Water-resistant motors – Rain won’t be a disturbance. Get unbeatable cooling superiority even when it is raining
- Remote control – Take control of your twin fan with sleek remote control. Change speed, do a manual or automatic operation, direct airflow and set temperature with ease. The remote control is powered by two AAA 1.5 volts
- Built-in screen expansion – The fan screen expands to fit larger side windows from the range of 24 inches to 37 inches.
- Reversible airflow control – Get fresh air by changing the direction of the blades electrically. Blow out the hot air and allow cool air circulate your room. Strong airflow is always guaranteed.
2. Holmes Window Fan
The Holmes Window Fan with dual fan and thermostat provides you comfort during the harsh weather condition. The reversible air blades deliver cool air that fills up your room in just no time. The fan is solidly built to fit almost all window sliders. It works quietly and efficiently making it perfect for your living room or bedroom. It comes with an extender panel that makes it a perfect fit for most windows. The two-speed settings allow you to enjoy superb airflow the way you really want it.
- Water-resistant motors – Entertain no fears when it rains. It works perfectly during the rainy season. The fan is safe to use even when it is raining.
- Fits almost all windows – The Holmes window fan is made to fit most slider windows perfectly. Even double-hung windows make a great fit
- Dual-blade – Enjoy powerful cooling with the 6 inches twin-blade. Dual blade ensures you get fresh air for your all-round comfort
- Uninterrupted reversible airflow – Reversible airflow gives you a comfortable fresh cool breeze. Choose air intake or exhaust to experience perfect cooling in your comfort zone.
- Energy efficiency – The fan is energy efficient. It consumes 60% less energy. Energy efficiency helps you to save energy and money.
- Two-speed settings – Easily set the fan to a suitable speed with two-digital speed settings and enjoy the finest air flow
- Adjustable screen – The fan comes with a flexible screen that expands to fit bigger windows.
3. Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
The Holmes Window fan delivers powerful cool breeze for your utmost comfort. It is a cost-effective fan that provides fresh air with two fans that can be set independently for top performance. The fan comes with a one-touch electronic control alongside two-speed adjustment for your cooling pleasure. It is built strong to fit almost all windows. The fan can be operated manually or automatically. It comes with a thermostat so that the fan can easily be turned on or off or set to the right temperature.
- Water-resistant motors – With water-resistant motors, the fan is safe to use when it is raining.
- Double 8.5-inch blades – The powerful double 8.5-inch blade diameter blows air effectively to fill up the room with a fresh and cool breeze
- One-touch thermostat – The one-touch thermostat sets and controls the speed of the fan to your desired temperature for comfortable air flow.
- Reversible airflow – Each blade fan can be independently reversed to either intake or exhaust the air. This ensures the inflow of fresh air and outflow of stale or hot air.
- Expendable screen – The fan fits almost all windows with its expandable screen feature that is perfect for both slider and double-hung windows
- Energy efficiency – You will save on energy with 60% less consumption.
4. Holmes HAWF-2041 Twin Window Fan
The Holmes HAWF-2041fan is powered electronically with a reversible motor. The fan is designed for comfort. Enjoy cooler and fresher breeze by setting and controlling the fan with its control thermostat. The thermostat helps you to choose your comfort level. It works quietly and efficiently. The fan fits in perfectly into a window space that is at least 25 inches wide and 12 inches height. It has a removal panel and extended screen that is adjustable with two fans that function independently. It is water-resistant.
- Easy control with thermostat – With three-speed settings, you can use the thermostat to control the speed of the fan to experience fresher air cooling solution to your satisfaction.
- Dual blade – The fan operates with two blades and reversible motors ensuring there is air intake or exchange
- Water-resistant – The fan is made with water-resistant motors, meaning your comfort won’t stop even if it is raining.
- Adjustable extender screen – The adjustable extender screen and panel supports the installation of the fan perfectly when being mounted on larger windows
- Fitting for different windows – The fan is designed to fit most slider and double-hung windows.
5. Bionaire BWF0522M Compact Window Fan
The Bionaire BWF0522M brings superb cooling to your home with powerful reversible airflow feature. It comes with a control thermostat in order to adjust or set the fan to your comfort level. The fan is quiet and energy-efficient. It shuts off automatically when the desired temperature is reached thereby conserving energy. The fan has manual controls. The Bionaire BWF0522M fan is a lot more powerful with more air velocity when compared with other window fans. It can be fixed horizontally or vertically. The fan is very ideal for larger rooms.
- Comfort thermostat – Choose your comfort zone with the Comfort Thermostat. With three speed settings, you can choose your comfort level with ease.
- More powerful – The fan delivers greater cooling with its three independent fans.
- Extender screens – The extender screen feature makes the
- Reversible airflow – You can manually reverse the fan in order to get more fresh and cool air and at the same time let out hot and stale air to get the perfect cooling temperature you desire.
6. Lasko Electric Reverse Window Fan W16900
The Lasko electric window fan is a 16-inch, three blades energy-efficient fan with quiet operation. The fan is designed to fit most windows. There is a slider panel on each side of the fan in order to perfectly fit any window size that falls within the range of 26.5 inches to 34.5 inches wide and 22 inches height. It comes with reversible technology which allows you to make a choice of either extracting air from your room to create a cooler airflow or extract cooler breeze from outside. The fan has no thermostat.
- Quiet operation – The fan is noiseless and operates efficiently
- Storm guard – The storm guard is a safety feature that enables you to shut the window behind the fan when the weather becomes stormy or rainy.
- Easy to operate – With three-speed settings, you can easily select the speed that suits you to enjoy fresh cool air always
- Easy to install – There are no complications at all when it comes to installation. The fan is lightweight and easy to mount with the support of side extender panels.
- Three blades – With three powerful blades, unparallel home cooling is what you get.
7. Bionaire BWF0522E-BU Thin Window Fan
Get relief from bad weather condition with the Bionaire Thin Window fan. Enjoy well-purified air and be at ease always. You hardly notice it is working because it is ultra-quiet and energy-efficient too. It comes with digital thermostat for you to select your comfort level choosing from the three-speed settings. The digital controls are on both sides making it convenient for you to adjust the settings. What’s more? The fan is designed to fit almost all window sizes. It is a basement fan as well. It is meant to fit windows of between 25.5 inches x 8 inches. It has three independently-controlled fans meant to deliver satisfactory air cooling solution. It comes with reversible technology which allows you to have cool and fresh air intake and exhaust hot and stale air. The dual locking extender screens help to support the fan very firmly when installed. This is personalized comfort at its best.
- Reversible airflow – You can manually reverse the fan to release fresh cool air, exhaust hot and stale air at the same time in order to saturate your room with the freshest and the coolest breeze for your comfort
- Perfect fit windows – The fan fits perfectly for most of the windows especially double-hung windows.
- Digital thermostat – With the control thermostat, you are able to select the setting that is most comfortable for you out of the three-speed settings
- Extender panels – The extender panels are meant to expand the width of the fan to 17 cm to 22 cm to fit wide windows
- Super quiet – The fan is one of the quietest window fans. There are no noisy disturbances and its functionality is great.
- Better cooling system – Enjoy cooler breeze with 40% greater air velocity to give you soothing comfort all the time
8. Air King 9166F Whole House Window Fan
Using a whole house fan like the Air King 9166F is one great way to reduce temperature and humidity in your home without using an expensive air-conditioner. This fan works perfectly by sending hot and humid air out of your apartment and releases cool and fresh air from outside to fill up your home. This is not your regular window fan. It is a large exhaust fan with a powerful cooling system for your complete comfort. With three speed settings, you can choose the lowest setting and still enjoy cool and breezy temperature. It may become a bit noisy if you choose the highest setting. The fan is built strong with an energy-efficient motor that consumes less electricity thereby helping you to save cost on electricity bills. The powerful motor helps the fan to deliver the perfect cooling temperature with quicker air circulation. It is affordable, durable and easy to install. The fan is well suited for both small and big rooms. It is made with impact-resistant plastic housing; powder coated steel front grill and blade.
- Three-speed settings – Choosing your cooling comfort level is easy with the three-speed settings. Whether you choose high, medium or low, you are sure to enjoy a great air cooling solution that soothes you always
- Storm guard system – The storm guard system ensures you can easily shut your window behind the fan in case of a bad weather
- Easy control – The fan comes with a front-end mounted control system for ease of speed selection
- Window fitness – The fan fits window openings that fall within the range of 27 inches to 38 inches wide and 25.26 inches height
- High-quality motor – The fan is equipped with a high-quality motor for top-notch functionality. The high-grade motor means high-velocity air circulation all the time
9. Bionaire BWF0502M-WM Thin Window Fan
Quality air and perfect cooling of your home cannot be compromised during the hot seasons. The Bionaire BWF0502M-WM is made to ease you when the temperature is hot. This fan provides you with a cool and purified breeze. With the reversible airflow feature, you are at liberty to invite cool fresh air into your home or drive out hot stale air in order to have cooler air circulation. It comes with an adjustable thermostat to choose your preferred settings out of the three speed settings. The thermostat stores your previous settings when the fan is turned off. But if it is unplugged, the setting is reset. With the built-in adjustable extender, the screen can expand to fit larger windows. It comes with slider safe extender panels which offer solid support for vertical-style installation. The fan is 25% more compact and 40% more powerful with greater air velocity that provides unrivalled cooling of your room.
- Reversible airflow – The fan can be manually reversed for the intake of fresh cool air or exhaust hot and stale air
- Control thermostat – Use the manual thermostat to control how cool you want your room to be. With 3-speed settings, you can choose high, medium or low. Whatever the settings, you are bound to enjoy great air comfort
- Easy to install – The fan is super easy to install. It can be installed horizontally or vertically.
- Extender screen – The extender screen works perfectly to make the fan fit most wide windows
10. CCC Comfort Zone Twin Window Fan with Remote
The CCC Comfort Zone Twin Window fan with remote control is a fan with a powerful motor to make you feel comfortable during bad weather by dissipating hot air and allowing the intake of cool breeze into your home. It comes with a three-speed settings feature and 9-inch turbo blades to make it a perfect cooling system for your comfort. It operates efficiently and quietly too. With three-speed settings, choosing your comfort zone is made easy. The remote control gives you the power to control the fan speed, function and direction. The three reversible fan functions allow you to choose air intake, exhaust or circulate for cooler and fresher air. The feet of the fan can be removed for table-top use making it a versatile fan. The fan is made to fit most windows.
- Three fan functions – Whether you choose cool, exhaust or circulate, you will still be in your comfort zone enjoying cool and nourished air
- Expandable feature – The fan has an expandable feature that makes it fit for windows that are within the range of 23.5 inches to 37.0 inches wide
- Reversible feature – The fan is electronically reversible with three-speed push button for easy control and comfort
- Convertible feature – The feet of the fan can be pulled out and converted to a table-top fan
- Easy to install – The fan is super easy to install. It is easy to use too.
- High velocity – With high velocity, it means you will enjoy faster cooling within a short period of turning on the fan.
What to consider before buying and installing a window fan
Fan size –
Before you purchase a window fan, the first thing you need to consider is the size of the fan. A big window fan doesn’t necessarily mean better cooling. Smaller window fans can circulate air pretty quickly than big ones. A small window fan with bigger blades will move air faster than a big fan with smaller blades. You need to measure the size of your window and look for the fan that fits your window size perfectly. Also, consider the inner measurement of the window in order to have the best fit. If you have a window that is out of shape, you may have to rebuild the window size to fit the fan you intend to purchase. Alternatively, you may need some more mounting items to install your window fan for a perfect fit. And if you have windows that are of different sizes, you shouldn’t have a problem finding window fans that are already custom-made for windows of different sizes and shapes.
Fan placement –
Proper placement of your window fan will make it work more efficiently. A wrong placement will make you feel like the fan is faulty from day one. Many usually choose the room with the largest window believing that more air can be pulled in through larger windows if all spaces are well closed up. This is a wrong consideration. What is important is the wind direction. The best way to maximize the use of a window fan is to place it where there is constant wind. This ensures better and quicker cooling. The wind is used to complement the existing airflow. But if you live in an area where wind flow is not consistent, you may need to invest in windows fan with a reversible feature which automatically draws in air and push out stale air depending on the direction of the air. Another option to adopt is to place more than one fan in your room. You can place an exhaust fan in warmer rooms.
Fan safety –
Safety is paramount when installing window fans. Consider the safety of children when installing window fans. Don’t place the fan too low to reach the hand of children. This may cause injury. The fan must not be installed at the expense of family safety. Don’t install an inward blowing window fan without its protective screen. This could be very dangerous. Always read the instructions on the fan before installation. Do not use the fan for the purpose it was never meant for. This can damage the fan too early. Always ensure that the fan is static.
How to install a window fan?
Installing a window fan can effectively cool your room especially when the air outside is cooler than the one inside. Aside from that, window fans consume less energy. A window fan has a built-in thermostat that automatically turns off the fan when the temperature reaches the set point and turns on itself when the temperature rises above the set point. There are no tools required for installing a window fan. Most of the window fans are able to fit perfectly on the double-hung windows frame. When installing the fan, you have to lift up the lower window frame and place the fan well into the window frame. Lower the fan carefully to ensure that the fan sits well and ensure it is supported by the window frame.
How to use a window fan?
Using a window fan is not rocket science. If you want the fan to last, you must learn how to use a window fan effectively. These are the Dos and Don’ts of a window fan.
- The more, the merrier – The number of fans that you install in your home would determine how cool your home would be. Try to set up an equal number of in-blowing and out-blowing fans in larger rooms. This helps to create a lot more cooling pressure inside the home. This also helps prevent bugs from entering your home.
- Proper positioning – Proper positioning matters when installing your window fans. Always position the inward-blowing fans on the shady part of the building and the out-blowing fans on the sunny part of the building. Strategic positioning of the fan is very germane.
- Size is important – As a matter of choice, it makes sense to go for the largest-sized fan in the market so as to fit your windows properly. Ensure that you block the open-air cavities on both sides of the fan. Normally, this aspect should be taken care of by the installer of the window fans.
- Avoid installation in waste areas – It is not proper to situate your window fans near the waste or parking areas. Doing this would help you from inhaling unpleasant odour or toxic vehicle exhaust fumes that are unhealthy for your body.
- Check your furniture – Using window fans can cause fluctuations in temperature. Extreme temperatures can affect your furniture or musical instruments like the piano. It makes sense to closely watch these items when you are using window fans.
How to clean a window fan?
Cleaning a window fan at least once in a year is a part of the maintenance of the fan. Periodic cleaning of a window fan is very important because window fans gather a lot of dust and grease over time. Cleaning the window fan helps to improve the functionality of the fan. Here is how to clean your window fan.
Unplug the fan and remove the grill
To avoid electric shock, do not clean a fan when it is still plugged in. Remove it from the plug before cleaning. Place the fan on a flat surface before you start the cleaning. Unscrew the grill of the fan with a screwdriver if the grill is screwed up. If the grill is held together by a release button, press the button to free up the grill and carefully pull it out.
Clean up the fan blades and fix the grill
Make a mild soap solution, deep a soft cloth in the soap solution and start to clean the blades in a circulation motion. Don’t allow water to drip into the mechanism of the fan. Make sure you dry the blades completely with another dry towel before using the fan. Clean the grill too. Then, return the grill and secure it properly and plug the fan to start using it.
How to oil air-conditioner fan motor?
Air-conditioners depend on fans to pull in air through its condenser coils so as to easily dissipate heat. The fans gather specks of dust over time. This is why fan air-conditioner motor requires periodic oiling to keep it functional for a longer timer. It makes sense to oil the fans at the start of any cooling system. It is also an opportunity to check the fan blades and its motor. Below is what you need to do before oiling your air-conditioner fan motor:
- Turn of the power – Air conditioners have high-voltage. As such, you would need to turn off the air conditioner before you go into the compressor cabinet. If the air-conditioner has a breaker, it makes sense to turn it off from the breaker. Ensure that you turn it off from the two sources. Be very careful because air-conditioners have high-voltage capacitors that hold electricity even when it is turned off. Do not go into the unit unless you are sure of where the capacitor is situated.
How to oil?
Air-conditioning units are never the same. This is why you have to strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions for oiling the unit. Make use of high-quality oil made for speed motor shafts and bearings. Avoid using oil laced with detergents like the oil made for cars.
- Turn off the A/C as mentioned earlier from the two sources
- Remove the cover of the compressor or condenser. The fan motor is situated at the underside of the compressor cover. Use a screwdriver to unscrew the nuts.
- Turn the cover upside down to see the ports on the fan motor. Check the fan blades too.
- There is a plug covering the oil port. Remove the plug
- Drop some oil into each port of the oil. Wipeout overflowing oil properly
- Return the plugs into the ports
How to use a box fan on a window
Box fans are usually square-sized compact fan that can be used on the window. Box fans have fast-spinning blades for air circulation that provides a quick cooling effect. It is portable making it easy to be placed in an open window or on the floor. You can place the fan outwardly or inwardly depending on the level of the heat outside and the temperature inside.
When you use one fan
If you intend to use just one fan, turning the fan in or out will be dependent on the temperature outside. If you have a cooler temperature outside than the temperature inside the room, then, you would have to let the fan face inside so as to blow in cool air. This can be done in the night or morning when the air outside is cooler. As the temperature gets warmer later in the day, you have to turn the fan to face out the window in order to drive out warm air in the room.
When using two fans
If you have two box fans, you can use them for cross-ventilation. Open one window and place the fan there facing out. Then, open the opposite window and place the fan facing out. This helps to enhance air circulation.
You can never go wrong with window fans. Window fans are highly economical and they consume less energy when compared with energy-hungry air-conditioners. Set yourself free from hot and humid temperatures and move into comfort with breezy window fans for your utmost satisfaction. The Bionaire Window Fans would be a great choice because of its water-resistant feature. This makes the brand a top-notch product made for durability. The use of thermostats for these Bionaire Fans will make life a lot easier. As such, we highly recommend Bionaire Window Fans because of its superior cooling and high-quality performance. It is high time you went for window fans to save more and enjoy the ultra-cooling solution.