Extendable dining tables are great for large families. It can be pulled out to accommodate more people. They are very stylish and modern. They come in different sizes and shapes. Read on as we make a review of the 15 best extendable dining tables.
We have spent more than 72 hours researching the best extendable dining table. We have found out the right extendable dining tables well suited for your compact and narrow spaces. We do not doubt that this article will help you to make an informed that will be memorable.
Take a look at the table below to see the products that are up for review.
Table of Contents
- 15 Best Extendable Dining Table in 2020
- 1. East West Furniture DLT-WHI-TP Dublin Table
- 2. International Concepts Small Drop-Leaf Table –
- 3. Target Marketing Systems 40-Inch Round Drop Leaf Table –
- 4. Norfolk Rectangular Table –
- 5. Stakmore Traditional Expanding Dining Table –
- 6. Homy Casa Extendable Rectangular Dining Table –
- 7. Driness Drop-Leaf Console Dining Table –
- 8. NOFK5-OAK-C 5 Piece Dinette –
- 9. NOFK5-MAH-C 5 PC Kitchen Nook Dining Set –
- 10. KET-WHI-TP Pedestal Oval Dining Table –
- 11. WINSOME Lynden Dining, Antique Walnut –
- 12. Winsome Taylor Dining Table –
- 13. Crosley Furniture Shelby Extendable Dining Table –
- 14. Ashley TamagoTamigo Dining Room Table –
- 15. Inspirer Studio ILIS Extending Dining Table –
- Buyer’s Guide for Best Extendable Dining Table in 2020
- Butterfly Leaf Dining Table 9 – Designing and Installing the Butterfly Leaf
- How to Make an Extendable Dining Table with Solid Maple?
15 Best Extendable Dining Table in 2020
The admirable white color reflects light to liven up your dining space. It has two 9-inch leaves that can be extended to make your dining space suitable for a great party or personal occasion.
With a single bevel edge and a well-rounded finish, this dining table will fit elegantly into small kitchen space and a compact dining room. The table measures width 42; height 29.5; length 42.
- Solid construction – Made with Asian solid wood, this dining table is built to last for a long time. No softwood; no MDF. It is sturdy, durable and stable.
- Assembly required – Assembly is required to put the dining table together. Assembly is easy and straightforward. It comes with hardware for a quick setup. The leg needs to be well bolted to avoid wobbling.
- Perfect for small spaces – Small dining space is no longer an issue. The dining table compact size makes it suitable for small spaces
- Fine finish – With an appealing white finish, the dining table is bound to glamour into your dining room. The dinette table will complement most dining themes.
- Easy to clean – The table has a smooth surface that makes it very easy to clean. Use a dry cloth to clean it.
It is lightweight and portable. Its small size makes it the right dining table for small spaces. With the open leaves, the table can seat two people comfortably.
The leaves open and close smoothly. The unfinished table can be finished to your taste. You can sand the top and finish the rest of the body to make it appealing. It is easy to finish.
The table goes well with modern and mid-century style. This is a durable and stable dining table for unparalleled comfort. The assembly of the table is a breeze.
- Ease of assembly – The assembling of the dining table is super easy. You need to screw the legs in place with washers. Hardware for easy setup has been included.
- Sturdy construction – Made from solid parawood, the small drop-leaf table is made to stand the test of time. It is sturdy and durable for long-lasting use.
- Nice for small spaces – The compact and small size of the dining table makes it fitting for small dining spaces. It is perfect as a small table for a laptop and can be used as a kitchen dinette.
- Space-saving – The leaves can be folded down to save space and can be extended to accommodate two people as needed.
- Unfinished – The table is unfinished. It can be stained and painted to look appealing to complement the décor theme of your dining room.
It comes in white and natural colors to suit most decors. The finish is the right one to bring glamour into your home.
Its extendable leaves great more space to comfortably accommodate people with enough legroom. It can be used as a breakfast nook in the kitchen.
Made from rubberwood, the sturdiness and durability of the dining table are not in doubt. The appealing finish is what you look to bring a touch of royalty into your dining space. It is extremely easy to use.
- Fine finish – The beautifully-turned white finished legs with a natural tabletop makes the drop-leaf table look classic and appealing. It is the type of finish that superbly blends well with most dining decors
- Great for small spaces – Small spaces won’t stop your style. The table is good for small and compact sizes like a breakfast nook
- Top-quality – The small extendable dining table is made solid and durable with high-quality rubberwood for strength and stability.
- Assembly – Minimal assembly is required. Assembly is quick and simple. All hardware for easy setup has been provided. It can be assembled by just one person.
- Comfortable – Four people can seat comfortably and with plenty of leg rooms for convenience when the leaves are extended.
With the mahogany finish, this table is bound to bring some attraction to your dining space.
Its rectangular design makes it perfect for narrow spaces. The kitchen nook dining table is made from solid Asian wood for durability and sturdiness.
The appealing mahogany finish goes well with different décors to make your dining space look elegant and chic.
- Oak finish – With a beautiful oak finish, this extendable dining table will bring glamour into your dining space. The finish is compatible with most dining décors
- Perfect for small spaces – The table is fitting for small dining areas so you and your family can dine in comfort.
- Strong construction – The table is constructed with durability and sturdiness in mind. It is made from Asian hardwood. No MDF; no softwood veneer.
- Quick assembly – The assembly is quick and easy. The easy-to-follow assembly instruction will easy to comprehend. Setup kits have been provided for a stress-free setup
- Simple cleaning – Use a damp cloth to clean the surface with ease.
The table can be used as a console and then converted to a game table. The two leaves when extended transform the table into a dining table.
With a fruitwood finish, the table can complement different dining décors. There are four legs for stability. Use the hidden fifth leg for extra support.
The table will perfectly fit into narrow spaces. It is easy to clean due to its smooth surface. For easy storage, the table comes with drawers.
- Comfortable – When leaves are expanded, the wide surface of the table makes it comfortable to seat around for a large family of eight.
- Legroom –There is enough space underneath the table for people to spread their legs and feel relaxed.
- Storage space – The drawers allow you to keep things handy. Tablecloths and napkins can be kept inside the drawers for easy reach.
- Beautiful finish –The lovely fruitwood finish brings an elegant look into your dining space. The finish can go well with any type of décor themes.
- Durable construction – The rectangular square is constructed with durability and sturdiness in mind. It is made from solid wood with veneer top surfaces.
The simple design of white and beige finish makes it a lovely table to complement any type of décor.
This table is the ideal one for narrow spaces. It is solidly constructed with wood, metals and MDF for durability and sturdiness.
This is a multipurpose table. It can be used as a game table, center table, dining table and breakfast table.
The top of the table is smooth, made of melamine, for ease of cleaning with a damp cloth.
Its top can be extended in places such as restaurants, hospitals, home kitchen, home dining room and restaurant kitchen.
- Storage – The table has ample space for storage. Items such as tablecloths and napkins can be kept handy for quick reach.
- Comfortable – Depending on the type of chairs, six to ten people can sit comfortably around this table making it ideal for a large family.
- Easy assembly – It is quick and easy to assembly. The assembly instructions and the tools needed have been provided for a smooth setup.
- Multi-usage – The table can be used for other purposes aside from being used as a dining table. It can be used as a kitchen table.
- Appealing – Its appealing look will wow any visitors. It is the right dining table to make a good statement of style.
It is a multi-functional table that is made perfect for small spaces. The metal base provides great stability and the weathered gray finish will liven up the mood in the dining room. It seats 4 to 6 people comfortably.
The modern and minimalist style makes the right dining table to fit any dining décors. With a smooth surface, the table is easy to clean. Just use a damp cloth to wipe.
- Sturdy construction – The table is sturdily made with MDF, melamine and metal tube materials. It is constructed to last for many years of enjoyment.
- Quick assembly – Assembling this table is a breeze. Assembly instruction is pretty straightforward.
- Perfect for small spaces – This is a space-saving dining table. Its rectangular design makes it great for narrow spaces.
- Heavy-duty – This table is extremely heavy. It has to be carried by two persons. It can support a weight of more than 80 pounds.
- Beautiful finish – The weathered gray finish with the white metal base brings style into your dining space. It goes well with different dining décors.
This set of furniture is beautifully crafted to appeal to your guests and visitors. The 5 piece dinette is made from the best Asian real wood.
The hardwood is a guarantee of longevity and class. Dinette brings a lot of attraction to your dining space.
The 12-inch extension leaf creates extra space to accommodate more people. Fold-down the leaves to save a lot of space. The four matching chairs are solidly made for comfort and relaxation.
With a natural finish, this set of furniture will be right for any dining room décor. Cleaning is super easy with an extremely smooth surface.
- Elegantly-built – The set of dining furniture is elegantly-built to give your dining room that royal feel that you have always wanted. The oak finish looks brilliant and welcoming
- Built to last – Constructed with Asian wood, the dinette set is made sturdy and durable. This is a set that will be enjoyed for many years.
- Beautiful finish – The oak finish is great for different decors making it perfect to complement most decors
- Easy to clean – The smooth surface of the table makes it perfectly easy and quick to clean. A damp cloth is required for cleaning
- Assembly – Assembling the set is hassle-free. Follow the instructions for a quick and easy setup.
This set of dining furniture brings class and comfort to your home. The elegant design is attractive and looking for guests and visitors.
Made from Asian solid wood, the table and chairs are durable and sturdy to last for a long time.
- Solid construction – The stable and chairs are stable and strong to serve you for many years of enjoyment. It is 100% made from Asian solid wood. No MDF, veneer or laminate
- Ease of assembly – Assemble is easy and simple to setup. The assembly instruction is straightforward and easy to follow.
- Natural finish – The natural finish brings a cool feel into your dining room. The finish perfectly matches your dining décor.
- Comfortable – The table can accommodate six people comfortably with enough legroom to feel relaxed.
- Easy to clean – The smooth surface of the table makes for easy cleaning. Cleaning it requires using a damp cloth
With a finish in buttermilk and cherry color, the oval table brings a touch of elegance and simplicity into your dining area.
The finish can blend well into different dining décors to give your dining room a tasteful finish.
- Strong and durable – Constructed from solid wood, the table is made to stand the test of time. No MDF; no particle board; no veneer.
- Attractive finish – The buttermilk and cherry finish brings attraction to your dining room. It goes well with most décor finish.
- Simple assembly required – This table is easy and simple to put together. Assembly is quite straightforward. Hardware and tools for setup have been included.
- Easy cleaning – Cleaning the table is a breeze. Just use a damp cloth to wipe down.
- Comfortable – The table can comfortably seat four people without the leaf. Six people can be seated when the leaf is extended.
The table is highly recommended for small spaces. It comes with pull-out legs to support the large table leaf to accommodate more people.
The antique walnut finish makes it the perfect dining table to suit different décors. Made from solid wood to guarantee durability, sturdiness and stability.
When extended, the table can seat six people comfortably with ample leg rooms. The table is easy to assemble and does not wobble after assemble.
- Nice for small areas – This is the right dining table for you if you have a small apartment. It helps you to save space where space is an issue
- Beautiful finish – With an alluring antique walnut finish, this small room table will bring elegance into your dining space. It can complement any kind of décors perfectly
- Quick assembly – Assembling the table is a breeze. The assembly instruction is very easy to follow. Screws for setup have been provided
- Strong table – The table is heavily-built for durability and sturdiness. It is made from hardwood and contains no particleboard
- Comfortable – This is a table for six. When extended, six people will be accommodated conveniently with enough leg room
Lifting the drop leaf helps to double up the size of the table to accommodate extra visitors.
It comes with a table-wide drawer that is perfect for the storage of electronic devices, games, placemats and other personal effects. The drawer is finished in a brushed nickel handle.
The table is rich in walnut finish. Each of the legs has a built-in floor protector to prevent floor scratching. For long-lasting use and durability, the table is made from solid wood.
- Storage – The easy glide drawer makes the table good for storage. It is easy to open with the nickel brush handle
- Solid construction – Built from hardwood, the table is solidly-made to last for a long time. It is durable, strong and stable
- Easy to assemble – Assembling the table is pretty straightforward. Just follow the instructions for a quick and simple setup.
- Comfortable seating – When the leaf is opened, the table can contain four people. When it is dropped, it takes two persons
- Easy cleaning – The smooth surface of the table makes it superb for cleaning. Use a damp cloth for easy cleaning.
It is well crafted with solid hardwood and wood veneers for durability and sturdiness. This is the right table for a family of six.
It gives you a luxury of plenty of space that is enough for everyone. If you are hosting a small party, you can easily remove the middle leaf to have more intimacy.
The turned legs look charming and the nicely rubbed antique tabletop makes the table an elegant piece befitting of small dining areas. The design makes it well suited for narrow spaces.
- Appealing finish – The white and black finish makes the dining extremely appealing. The finish makes it welcoming. Perfect for different décors
- Sturdily-built – Made from hardwood and wood veneers, the table is built to last for many years of enjoyment. It is stable, strong and durable
- Easy assemble – Assembling the table is simple and easy. Materials needed for assembly have been provided for stress-free assembly
- Comfortable seating – The 18-inch leaf can be expanded to seat six people
- Easy to clean – Clean the table with ease. It has a smooth surface for simple and easy cleaning. Just wipe it.
The thick tabletop with solid legs provides unparalleled stability. Its beautiful brown/tan finish makes it a darling for any dining décor.
The cool contrast of the finish brings elegance into your dining space. The table can be used outside as far as it is under a patio or where it is protected from the rain.
With a seating option of six, people can seat around the table comfortably. This piece of furniture is made from reclaimed wood, wood and engineered wood for durability and sturdiness.
- Ease of cleaning – Cleaning the table is super easy. Use a damp cloth to clean it. The material of the tabletop can hide fingerprints.
- Easy and quick assembly –Assembly is very simple and easy. The easy-to-follow instruction makes setup a breeze. Tool and hardware have been included for hassle-free assembly
- Comfortable seating – Measuring 42-inch wide, 90-inch depth and 30-inch height, there is enough surface to comfortably seat for six people.
- Strong build –The dining room table is solidly built for many years of enjoyment. It is constructed from wood, reclaimed wood and engineered wood for long-lasting use.
- Elegant finish – The brown/tan finish is appealing to the eye giving your dining room a chic look that also blends well with different dining décors.
It looks very inviting and it is designed to fit into any interior. The small size of the table makes it perfect for narrow and small spaces.
It can extend to 160 CM to accommodate up to 6-8 people comfortably. The table is extremely sturdy and durable to last for many years.
- Elegant design – This table will make a resounding statement in any dining space. The glossy white finish will perfectly match any dining décor.
- Sturdy construction – The table is crafted from high-quality MDF board to guarantee durability and sturdiness. The high gloss white finish makes it ideal for a contemporary setting
- Seating capacity –The pedestal dining table can accommodate a maximum of 8 people comfortably. The extension helps you to accommodate the bigger gathering
- Easy assembly – Assembling the table is super easy. It is quick and simple. It can be set up by one person.
- Simple to clean – The smooth and glossy surface makes the table comfortable to clean. Use a dry cloth to wipe down with ease
Buyer’s Guide for Best Extendable Dining Table in 2020
If you are still confused about choosing the right extendable dining table, this buyer’s guide is what you need to read to make an informed choice. Below are what you need to consider before picking up an extendable dining table.
Extendable dining room tables don’t come in different sizes. You have to look at the available space before knowing for sure the size that suits your dining space. Some of the tables contract in consoles that measure about 18.5 inches while extending by up to 140 to 150 inches. Some models just extend 50 inches. The numerous sizes make it easy to choose the right extendable dining room table that comes through for your dining space.
Construction materials –
Extendable dining room tables are made from different materials. Some are made of wood while others are made of tempered glass. Each of the materials has its advantages. Wood designs look very charming and can complement any décor. Tempered glass designs look more modern and trendy. They have versatile features than wood models.
Style and shape –
Extending dining tables come in different styles. They come in round and rectangular designs. Apart from the shapes, there are different styles in terms of their finish. While it is the construction material that determines the finish, it is important to choose a table that blends perfectly with your dining décor.
Ease of assembly –
A table that is difficult to assemble is a nightmare. You don’t have to pay anyone money to assemble your dining room table. It should be pretty straightforward. Any table for that matter should be easy to assemble and disassemble. Usually, many extendable dining tables are very to set up because they come with assemble instructions or practical online guides. The easy-to-follow is a nice guide to help you get your table up and running
Storage isStorageis one important feature to look out for when looking for an extending dining table. There are many extendable dining tables with enough storage room. The storage space helps you to keep your things handy. With storage space, you can keep items such as napkins and tablecloths within reach.
Seating arrangements –
There are different seating options when it comes to the extendable dining table. The seating arrangement will largely depend on your family size. It makes sense to look for an extension dining room table that can seat between 8-10 people comfortably in case you have guests and visitors in the feature. It all depends on the surface area of the table. Make sure the surface area is wide enough to accommodate more people as a form of contingency. Look for one that is more than 40 inches wide.
A table with enough space underneath it will create some room for people’s legs. A dining room table without adequate legroom will become a big discomfort for people who are seated around it. This more important for tall people who have long legs.
Ease of cleaning –
A dining table requires constant cleaning no matter the material. To ensure easy cleaning, the table must have a smooth surface if the material is made of wood. Avoid textured surfaces. If it is made of glass, it becomes a breeze to clean.
It is great to recover the space after seating around a table. Look for a table that is high so that after seating, you can easily push the chairs under the table to free up some space.
Round dining room tables come with a lot of versatility. Choose one that can suit different purposes. Apart from being used as a dining room table, it can also be used as a bar table, tea table, coffee table, breakfast nook table, kitchen table, etc.
Butterfly Leaf Dining Table 9 – Designing and Installing the Butterfly LeafVideo Transcript:
Welcome back to my diner table build my name’s guy and last time I cut some slots in the corners for some slimes I’m going to show you how I tack that and got those set I also put in the leaf which stores underneath the table when you put the halves together this was a lot of fun to put together stick around i’ll show you how I get that the first thing I need to do here is I need to find the center of this rail and this is 33 and 3/4 so that is 16 and 7/8.
So I’m going to mark 16 and 7/8 of an inch now that i’ve got that Center line marks I have played around this a little bit before and I know where I’m actually going to put the pivot pin for this and that’s going to be five and a quarter inches off of that so after I got that mark I need to carry that line around i’ve got the center line marked and where the pivot pin is going to be I know the tabletop resting on top of these supports is going to be an eighth of an inch above that now I also have to put some pieces underneath with the leaf where that pivot pin is going to go and I’m decided i’ve decided I’m going to put that one inch down from the top so measuring one inch down from here is actually going to be seven eighths of an inch so I just need to mark 7/8 of an inch down on both sides and that’s going to give me the measurement where I know I need to drill a hole to put the initial bushing that I’m going to put in here for the steel rod that’s going to hold the table so I made a quick.
Drilling jig analysis as a block wood with a couple tabs on to make sure it stays flat on there and with the center line all I need to do is line.
With here this whole seven a seven inch down on Center so all I need to do is clamp this in place make sure it’s on center I would take a half inch drill bit the same drill that I used to do this one and make a hole going all the way through this piece welfare out the holes drill this is a piece of the stock I will be using as a pen I’m going to put these steel bushings in here and our 1/2 inch outside diameter and.
Three-eighths of an inch inside diameter this is going to be getting a very nice smooth action there’s a little bit of play but that’s good I want a little bit of play the actual alignment of the leaf to the top is going to be done with the special brass alignment pins that are designed for leaf so I need to do this on the other side and then we can move on to making the pieces that are go underneath the leaf itself so i’ve got here is about two pieces of stock now these are going to be the pieces that hold that Center on that these are going to attach to the actual leaf itself so first thing I need to do I need mark an inch and a half in inch and a half in to get my center line.
And remember I went 7/8 of an inch down but I need to be an inch from the top because i’ve got an eighth of an inch between the middle of support for the table and the actual sliding supports at the top so just make a mark here make a mark here I just need to go over the drill press and cut those half inch holes for those bushings on here so the next thing I need to do is I need to drill some holes in here and these are well these are pocket screws but they’re nice because they had a nice flat pan head on I need to bore a countersink to put those down here and then a hole the rest of the way through and again I’m gonna use my stop on my drill press for this in the fence and then I can just put it in there flip it around change the drill bit and finish the hole so it should be pretty pretty straightforward so i’ve got the leaf turned upside down on my work surface here I know the table top is 42 inches wide and I need to mark where the center that is first I know that’s 21 inches so I’m just going to make a mark 21 inches and then I know that I need to put these on Center five-and-a-half inches and that mark so i’ll just go there and mark it actually five and a quarter which is right here and then carry that line up like that then I put these blocks on here I can put them in or flush them to the side actually I might bring them up a little bit but I know when I screw them down to it that’s going to be the the perfect place where that rod is going to go through.
We’ve got both the pitot brackets mounted in here and I’m going to put this rod through here and it should go through pretty easy without biting at all and spin so that’s exactly what I’m looking for now I just need to cut this rod a little bit so I can get it into the table itself it’s a little bit too long and then mount this in there and then work out a couple of support pieces for it but this is coming together real nice I’m pretty confident this is going to work out so if this piece here is i’ve got a temporary just hold in with a little bit of clamping pressure this is going to act as a fulcrum and when this goes on the pivot point flips around it’s going to slide up on here and then go over the top so first thing I need to do is start feeding this steel tube through and I will put two of these split stop collars on here now once everything is all put together i’ll tighten these down let’s prevent the top from moving around the leaf or moving around so I seen it go put this in here feed this through the pushing on this pivot point on the four feed that through now I can put tee stock cars here on the other side and push it through the bushing on the other side that’s the way it’s going to work so take that and push these support pieces underneath you just need to make sure it’s flat and of course it is I wouldn’t expect anything less at this point so that’s it for the leaf came together pretty nice i’ve got the leaf up and i’ve also taken the two halves of the table but it up against there make sure it’s nice and flush and then clamp it all clamp it all down then I ran a couple screws just two on each side up underneath into the support rails to fix those into position somewhat for now next thing I need to do is take it all apart remove the leaf then I’m going to slide these two halves together and I’m going to start working on drilling the alignment pen as though that when the the table is not expanded so that closes up well i’ve taken the leaf I actually leaf is scored underneath where it should be and i’ve got the two halves push together and luckily it came together nice and flush everything again is based off that Sun so I felt pretty confident so now I need to start marking out where I’m going to put those.
Alignment pins and first one is going to be an inch and a half in from either side.
You make a mark here across both now I’m going to be putting an additional other than ones on the end.
I’m putting additional four in between there so that’s seven and a half inches of seven three-quarter inches so this is the easiest way to do it i’ve just got a little stick here I’m just going to go in from each side make a couple of marks and then going from the other side and do the same thing they’ll give me six pins across those of you aren’t familiar with alignment pins this is what it is there’s a male side and a female side and all they do is when you put the two pieces together one captures the other and it holds it flat so this has to be perfect i’ve done this before a couple times and to get this right is there’s not a lot of magic to a pajama cracker so I’m using doweling jig for this i’ve got my hallmark and there’s also a line here inside the jig there’s a line here now these are supposedly self centering i’ve never trusted it 100% so I’m always going to keep the turn screw side up so all I need to do is put this on here Lima marks.
Now i’ve got that done i’ve got a flag stop on my drill and I just need to drill that hole.
That’s pretty much it and these pins we’ll just put it fit in here I’m not going to put one another very hard to get out once they’re in and then i’ll put the male side on the other side I just need to go all the way up on this table to get this done.
Well I put the halves back on the table after I installed the alignment pins screw them down temporarily and slid the two halves together and actually came together very easy so that was nice the next thing I wanted to do is make sure that all these planes were leveled because they’ve got three pieces little inconsistencies and things and throw things off so I push these two together and this right here if you can see where it’s a little shiny when hit with the hand plane was just a little bit high maybe less than a 64th of it I just took a couple light passes here and shave that off and it came out really nice and flat there’s a little bit here on this corner that I had to lower to meet that I wanted to make sure that this was flat to this side first all the way across before I love the leaf so i’ve got the leaf flipped over i’ve got the sides attached again after I love this to this I need to make sure that this was level and this was love and after I flipped it over the first time I discovered I was really lucky because all of these lined up really nice and flat there was three spots on here here here and here again where it was off just a tiny little bit but I just hit those with the hand plane and now these are all nice and level well that’s it for now I’m going to do some things off camera which is mainly sand that I have to sand and then sand some more so lot of surface prep to do on this to get ready for finish and that’s i’ll be doing next time as always thanks for watching if you haven’t yet please subscribe and we’ll see you later.
How to Make an Extendable Dining Table with Solid Maple?Video Transcript:
Today we’re building a dining table for two at four six I mean for many people film okay so before I started to build the actual table I jumped into Sketchup to put them ideas into a final shape in its compact position it’s a pretty small table having just one meter by 70 centimeters and including both middle leaves the total length becomes one meter and 80 I had some hard maple board sitting on my studio floor that I really wanted to get rid of and used for this project it was great to make a piece of furniture with solid wood as I was a bit tired of using so many sheet goods in the last month so I started by restoring some boards in strips to create the tabletops.
It shows the best facing sides and drew a triangle with child to make sure I kept the pieces in order to i’ll moving them laying out the clamps beforehand is a good option to help reduce stressful glue ups from which I suffered a lot I put the panel pieces back together and applied tape to a few scraps to work as leveling blocks these will help the strip’s to become coplanar with each other.
I can now spread the glue and close the clamps while the glue is drying I can start restoring another maple board in half on the Benza since the board is long and heavy I said my Rockler roller stand in place.
The maple board wasn’t long enough to make the entire top so you’ll see me gluing one of the leaves in separate i’ll share my idea of the woodgrain match for the tabletop so on the Left we have the top I just glued up and on the right we have one of the extensions that will conclude up in a minute the left piece will be divided in three being two of them permanent these two are the only ones having the grain matched because this setup will be seen 99% of the time only when having visitors the leaves will be put together.
So the third part will become in the center as well as the other extension when needed so again most of the time the table will be said to the compact position so I think it is preferable to look at the match tops every day so here I’m preparing the second extension panel for glue up.
I can keep wrestling and planning the pieces for the skirts.
I put the clamps aside as I need the space to join these edges nice and square i’ve used this method for jointing pieces on the riot table a few times before in my channel so i’ll link a video in which I explain how these works a bit better but basically you need to bring the outfeed table further with shims and make pressure against that same fans as if it was a jointer turn 90 degrees in this case I used business cards but you can use playing cards or any other thin material this trick will leave you with a perfectly straight and smooth edge now I can make the other edge parallel and prepare more stock for the legs.
And we’re back to the big panel I could the extension off of the main tops and needed to correct misalignment and imperfections on the panels this cannot go into the thickness planer anymore because they are way wider than the capacity of the machine instead I will be using the tornado router bit from Frizer to make the surface nice and flat so I had to make a sled and add paper shims to the areas of the panel that were not in contact with the table this will ensure that the panel comes out flat in the end with no Rocking the router will be running inside this top jig that rests over the sled sides so let’s talk a bit about the special router bit from Frasor this is the tornado the world’s first high-quality large router bed especially meant for flattening with an eight millimeter shank it also comes with a quarter inch shank and it can be used with any hobby or a professional router or CNC spindle giving you a professional level surface very quickly due to its large cutting diameter so you don’t need to have an expensive machine with 12 millimeter or 1/2 inch collet.
To use such a large rabbit it has top-quality replaceable blades so you can use and reuse this bit many many times Fraser is the first company that specializes exclusively on strong and durable router bits made in Italy and they ship worldwide you can find unique tools for your work on their website and you can now get 20% off your first purchase by using the discount code get hands dirty a check out Frazer offers quick and personal assistance through the live chat and they are super happy to help out with the selection of router bits and any technical questions you might have.
Check out the link in the description for all the details and let’s put this Toronado.
Action so the idea here is to set a shallow depth for the material removal and going left to right along the entire panel to make everything leveled I missed a little spot there so I grabbed the block plan and got rid of it I can now start the sanding and with the first half flat and smooth.
I cannot separate the panel from the sled and turn it over for round two of the flattening here I’m trimming the main top to the final size and cutting in half.
The legs and skirts work at the size and I will be joining them with floating tannins so I made a few marks to make sure everything goes smoothly.
And started mortising the pieces to receive the floating Tenon’s you can certainly use other methods for connecting the parts such as dowels traditional morrison tannins or even pocket screws on places that will never be seen during normal usage.
To remove burning marks from the table saw blade I give it a few passes with a hand plane to avoid sanding because it might take forever and forever it’s too long for me.
Now getting into some details this part is not necessary but I thought it would give it a nicer transition look between the components so I set up the table saw blade two three millimeter high and run all the skirts and tops of the legs along the blade you can achieve the same results on the router table using a straight bit.
And here’s the best stop block ever I got it from cats moses online shop and i’m super proud to be supporting a friend and maker this is a well thought out and manufactured tool that is so simple and yet more reliable than any other stop block commercially available and by the way if you don’t know Jonathan gets Moses channel I highly recommend you taking a look because he’s got some really cool projects and I always learned something new which is red because my table saw blade doesn’t have a flat teeth configuration I finessed the rabbits by hand we derive it in plain.
I was worried about the tops getting cupped over time so I followed a tip from a crafted workshop video where Johnny added in said C channel strips to the underside of the panel’s of his table so I ordered some C channel strips but the problem was that they were too thick for me to inset on my tops and have enough material to add screws so I embrace the long journey of grinding them as flat as I could and removing about three millimeters.
It took several hours but eventually I got all eight strips thinner and ready to inset on the panels oh and make sure you have a fire extinguisher next to you when grinding metal on a studio full of wood dust and particles.
I started to glue the leg frames and remove the beat of material from the Tenon’s to allow for slide movement during the glue up and get everything as aligned as I could.
I then kept working on the metal strips while the glue is drying.
I drilled holes for the screws and off-camera I clean and spray varnish them to prevent any rust over time oops.
I routed grooves on the bottom side of the panels and finally attached the c channel strips with small thick wood screws.
There seems to be enough wiggle room for the panels to expand and contract so I won’t bother making oval-shaped holes I can now find a place for these tabletop connectors around the perimeter of the table it was my first time working with these figure 8 connectors and I became a fan but I had to wear them from the US because I couldn’t find them online in Europe so let me know if there’s a cellar that you know to have these in Europe after the metal strips were in place I moved into attaching the table locks that I got from Rockler as well as the alignment pins that you’ll see in a moment I first created the threads for the screws with a regular steel screw because I was afraid to snap the brass ones that came with the logs.
To make sure the holes were to the correct depth for the alignment pins I trace the line with a sharpie on the drill bit so I could clearly see you when to stop drilling.
I can finally start assembling the parts together and see what the table looks like in the end I also got the table extension slides from Rockler and they seem really durable and can handle a lot of weight even when the table is fully extended.
All was left to do was given in three coats of finish and take it to its final place in a tiny apartment all right I hope you enjoyed this project and although this ain’t easiest able to make it ain’t that hard either for being an extendable dining table I like to give a shout out to Fraser Rockler and my patreon supporters for making this video possible and don’t forget to check out the links below to find the tools and accessories I use for this project if you’re looking for a cool gift for a friend or for yourself please consider supporting my work by visiting my online store and getting a t-shirt a mug or these awesome brand new maker bandana that me and my sister developed specially for you guys so thanks everyone for watching and go get your hand story.
An extendable dining table is a must-have for family bonding. A meal is well enjoyed when it is served on a comfortable dining table. This is why an extendable dining table is appropriate. Choosing a durable and sturdy table can be very complicated. Our 72 hours of research will help you to make a long-lasting choice. We recommend the Stakmore Traditional Expanding Dining Table for an elegantly furnished dining room or use the Homy Casa Extendable Rectangular Dining Table if you want something stylish and captivating.