Are you searching for a new doormat to replace your old worn-out door mat?
Getting the right doormat is not as easy as picking up about any doormat. There are three things you should look out for when buying a doormat.
- A heavy-duty doormat that can trap dirt, moisture and debris to keep your home clean always.
- The doormat should be able to withstand harsh weather.
- It should be pet-friendly and super easy to clean.
This review is made to guide you to make a good choice.
10 Best Door Mats Comparison for 2020
Making a choice is a lot easier with the comparison table below. Carefully check the table to compare and make an informed opinion about your ideal doormat.
Table of Contents
- Reviews of 10 Best Door Mats in 2020
- 1. Waterhog Fashion Commercial-Grade Entrance Mat – Best Door Mat for Water
- 2. GrassWorx Clean Machine Omega Door Mat – Best Door Mat for Dirt
- 3. 2-Pack Indoor & Outdoor Floor Mat – Low Profile Doormat
- 4. Apache Mills Masterpiece Aberdeen Door Mat – Best Doormat for Trapping Dirt
- 5. Casa Pura Entrance Mat – Best Door Mats for Mud
- 6. Elogio Indoor & Outdoor Door Mat – Best Outdoor Doormats
- 7. Heavy-Duty Natural Rubber Outdoor Doormat – Best Rubber Door Mat
- 8. GrassWorx Clean Machine Patio Stripe Doormat – Best Double Door Mat
- 9. J & M Home Fashions Doormat – Dog Proof Door Mat
- 10. MPLUS Coco Coir Doormat – (Best Doormats for Winter)
- Types of doormats
- Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Door Mats in 2020
- Important FAQs about Best Door Mats in 2020
Reviews of 10 Best Door Mats in 2020
1. Waterhog Fashion Commercial-Grade Entrance Mat – Best Door Mat for Water
This Waterhog Mat is a perfect doormat for inside and outside purpose. It can be laid on a tile and wooden floor without any issue. It is made exclusively from 100% polypropylene fiber just as the surface of the mat guaranteeing its durability.
The inside door mats are made sturdy to adequately take care of dirt and moisture under the shoes and feet. Its exclusive rubber reinforced face nubs help to prevent dirt from sticking on the surface of the mat. When the mat is wet, the rubber-reinforced surface makes the water to drop into the bottom of the mat.
This commercial door mats is slip-free making it very safe to use. It hardly moves from the spot where it is placed due to its strong rubber material. Washing the rug must be with non-bleachable detergent and using hose water.
This is the best door mat for water that can effectively withstand abuse. It is a doormat for dogs. It is also a doormat for cats too. The best part of it is that it is easy to use and it dries pretty fast when washed. This is one of the best front door mat that doesn’t hold water.
- Slip-resistant – You do not trip when you step on the mat because it is slip-resistant. This means no injuries as a result of using the mat. This makes it very safe to use.
- Fade & stain-resistant – The mat comes with a solution-dyed PET fabric making it resistant to stain and fade.
- Durable – The reinforced rubber nubs help to make it durable by extending its life. It is also capable of withstanding different types of abuse by both animals and humans
- Water dam border – It comes with a water dam border that helps to hold up to 1.5 gallons of water per square yard thereby keeping the floor always neat and dry.
- Easy to use – This mat is easy to use. It easily removes dirt and moisture from the shoes and washing it is easy too.
This is an amazing mat!! It’s been two years, and this is a purchase that I am so satisfied with. Looks just a good as the day it arrived- I have two cats, two dogs, two kids, and husband who never wipes his shoes on the outside mat. This is in my Laundry room which we use to enter the house winter, spring & fall seasons. It has withstood two years of abuse and keeps its appearance, and keeps the rest of my house cleaner. This is my most durable mat I’ve encountered!! The color is flippin awesome, too! I’ve got terracotta tile and the blue mat is a flattering contrast!
I purchased 3 welcome mats prior to this one and was not satisfied enough with any of them to use at the front door of our newly painted house. When this mat arrived I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was exactly as described and pictured. If you are looking for a door mat here at Amazon I would highly recommend that you purchase this one before any of the others.
I purchased this WaterHog rug in medium blue, size 2′ x 3′. I am completely satisfied with it. The color is very pretty, a nice bright blue. I also like the pattern very much. The size is exactly what I ordered. I will be using this rug in one of the stairwells of my apartment building. Management just installed new carpeting and I want to give other residents a place to wipe off their feet so as to not spread dirt/moisture anywhere near my apartment. I highly recommend this product.
2. GrassWorx Clean Machine Omega Door Mat – Best Door Mat for Dirt
This is a big relief for many homeowners. You don’t have to clean your home every time due to the mess created by visitors or animals. This anti mud mat is made with durable polyethylene material.
This best indoor doormat has small plastic blades that take a lot of dirt off the shoes. This helps to keep so much dirt off the home. It is a stylish doormat that adds décor to your home and it is one of the best mat for front door.
These doormats are specifically made for outside; not inside because of its heavy rubber and plastic. The mat is sturdy but not enough to have a wheelchair roll over it. It is capable of withstanding any weather making it long-lasting.
The Omega floor mat will help to protect your indoor floor especially if it is made of tiles. This indoor doormat is an effective home cleaning solution for every homeowner to keep their homes always clean. This is a perfect doormat for carpet.
- Durable – The mat is durable and able to withstand tough weather because it is made of polyethylene
- Safe to use – the bristles on the mat is stiff and does not hurt when it is stepped on making it safe to use. It is a good floor mat for dogs.
- Slip-resistant – This mat is slip-resistant preventing you from slipping or tripping when you step on it. It can be slippery when ice is involved.
- Easy to clean – The mat can be cleaned with ease and dries fast. This anti mud mat reviews help you to choose the right one.
I was hesitant to get the Earthtone color being not sure how it would match up with the outside decking and siding.. But preferred to try that vs the all dark color. Couldn’t be happier.. It’s actually a grayish tone and looks great. I can’t comment on how durable it is since I just put it out. But it lays completely flat, heavy rubber, seems very solid and not cheap. Hopefully the astro turf type material lasts and I’ll be happy. Highly recommend but without knowledge of how long it will hold up. Also came as is in a large box, not rolled up.So there was nothing to settle in the material when laying it down on deck.
No other mat I’ve tried prevents tracking dirt, leaf bits and gosh knows what else when we scrape the bottom of our shoes before entering the house as well as these. They are virtually indestructible, water proof and look presentable enough to use even at the front door. With 3 dogs, a messy husband and several renters I have bought one of these mats for all 3 of the entrys into my own home and one for each entry on all 5 of our rental properties. A little shoe-wiping goes a long way to save your floors and carpet.
It has been raining in so cal for the past few days, usps threw the package and was sitting in the rain for several hours, the package was drenched! Anyways, the mat itself seemed to still be in great condition! It is so much more sturdier than the pictures make it seem to be! It’s heavy and durable, and you’re paying a small cost for a quality mat! It’s a nice addition to the entrance of my door.
3. 2-Pack Indoor & Outdoor Floor Mat – Low Profile Doormat
This is a versatile floor mat that can protect both the floor and carpet. The mat is made sturdy to withstand high traffic. Made with industrial-grade polyester, the fabric is well made to serve as a shoe dirt scraper. It can absorb moisture and mud too.
The anti-slip heavy-duty rubber ensures that moisture does not drop on the floor. This best outdoor doormat has no petroleum smell like other mats. It smells nice. Simply wash it with a wheel brush, soapy water and dry vacuum. Washer machine wash is not advisable.
These indoor door mats are safe for dogs as it can be dropped in front of the kennel. These best welcome mats are very sturdy that it stays in place without moving an inch when stepped on. It does not disturb the door. The floor mat is very low profile door mat making it easy to swing your door over the mat without a hitch. The rug feels good when barefooted.
- Protects the floor – No matter where you choose to use the mat, it will help to protect your floor against dirt, moisture and debris
- Easy to wash – Shake off the dirt or use a running water hose to wash off the dirt on the mat and it dries super fast.
- Slip-resistant – You don’t get tripped when you step your feet on the mat because it is anti-slip making it very safe to use
- Versatile – This is a floor mat suitable for different purposes. It can be used as a best welcome mat, snow mat, garage mat, bathroom entry mat, patio, etc.
- All-weather – The rug is capable of withstanding different types of weather conditions making weather-resistant.
This is a great multi-purpose mat and it works very well. One for the front door and one for the back door. They are really sturdy and durable. When it got rained on, it dried super quick! They effectively catch dirt and the mats stay in place. Plus, it really catch a lot of dirt from your shoes, making it easy for you not to take them inside the house. I’ve had them out for the last two weeks and we’ve had storms with a lot of rain and they still look great. Even with high winds, they haven’t moved. Very pleased with these mats! I highly recommend it!
I know that’s an odd headline and how they smelled is truly what struck me first. I’m used to things involving rubber smelling rather chemical-ly; however, they worked some kind of magic to make them smell nice! I appreciate that they were rolled up compactly for shipping. I put them out in the evening and by morning, they rugs were laying flat. And they don’t slide around on my hardwood floors! Yay! They are low profile enough that my front door swings over them with no issue and have enough cushioning (nap?) to making walking on them in stocking feet quiet comfortable. Though I’ve only had them 1-week, they appear to be well constructed. Color and design were are true to the Amazon listing. Shipping was fast and the price was GREAT!
Our oldest German Shepherd, now nine, has some trouble making his back legs do what he wants and he was really struggling to get enough grip with his back feet to get into his kennel. These mats are perfect at the entrance to the boy’s apartments (kennels) – they are low to the floor so our old man doesn’t trip on them but they give plenty of traction. They do not roll up, slip or lift up even when I vacuum – seriously important to me in my constant battle with fur-management. I really like these and will be ordering another set – one for our back door (which is very low to the ground) and the other for our little pups kennel – three weeks till we bring him home. (How cute is his little kennel snuggled in there!!)
4. Apache Mills Masterpiece Aberdeen Door Mat – Best Doormat for Trapping Dirt
This doormat can fade off easily if placed in the sun. Ensure there is a door roof to create some shade and protect it from rain. Aside from that, this is a durable mat.
The mat is heavy duty door mat and dirt gets stuck on it easily but looks pretty nice if it can be kept clean all the time. The mat does not move even with very high traffic. It does not stop the door from opening and closing.
When it comes to holding dirt, debris and moisture, the mat does it well. This is the best doormat for snow. It can easily be cleaned with a vacuum. Wash with a water hose, soapy solution and simply air dry. Do not machine wash or dry.
- All-weather – The mat can withstand snow and ice but not the sun. Having a door roof to create some shade would take care of the scorching sun from hitting it and saving it from fading
- Sturdy – The mat is made from recycled tyres making it heavy-duty and very sturdy
- Deep channel construction – It has a deep channel construction that easily helps to trap dirt, grass, sand, moisture, etc
- Stain-resistant – Stains do not stick on the mat making it stain-resistant and easy to wash.
I have been enjoying the hospitality of my son and his wife; I noticed the grandchildren tracking dirt and leaves from the backyard onto their basement carpet. I purchased this as a small recompense for their taking me into their home while my wife (primary caregiver) was in the hospital. My son and his wife told me they were considering a mat of similar quality that was too expensive to buy. This mat is well-made and does not move with two very active children runninh in and out all day. It’s thick but does not impede the door opening or closing. It captures and hold all dirt and debris they track in and is easily cleaned with the vacuum. It is grandchildren tested and approved. We highly recommend it!
I don’t usually spend this much for a door mat, but I’m glad I did. I now have two of these. They are attractive, heavy-duty mats. I like that they are dimensional enough and just a bit rough for scraping dirty shoes on, but they are smooth enough that they are not uncomfortable for bare feet. They are currently exposed to weather and seem to be holding up well.
Good thick mat for outdoor use. It looks nice and is sturdy. There was a warning to let it heat up to room temperature before unrolling. Once I did that it unrolled nicely. It did not completely lay flat immediately and there was another warning to not compress the mat. After a day or so it flattened out.
5. Casa Pura Entrance Mat – Best Door Mats for Mud
It is a low profile door mat that does not affect the opening and closing of the door. These large door mats are easy to wash with a hose and soapy water. It dries within a twinkle of an eye.
The rubber can disintegrate when washing the mat. It is not advised to use the extra large front door mats indoor except you have an entrance door that is well covered with a roof to prevent it from the sun and rain.
When it is exposed to rain, it can absorb so much water that it takes time to dry up. This commercial door mats is completely non-slip meaning it is safe to use without having anyone trip over. It tracks dirt so well.
- Versatile – The doormat can serve both indoor and outdoor use. It can be used for homes, garages, hallways, kitchens, computer rooms, at banks, etc. This is also a floor mat for cars
- Easy to maintain – The mat is machine washable at 40 degrees centigrade or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes its maintenance easy and cost-effective. There is no need to do a spin circle when washing with a machine
- Safe to use – The floor mat is safe to use since it has an anti-slip feature. It has an anti-skid rubber that prevents tripping
- Water and dirt absorbent – The large door mats is effective at trapping dirt, mud, grass, moisture and absorbs water with ease.
- Low profile – This is an ultra thin door mat that does not hinder the opening and closing of the door because of its low profile nature.
I am really pleased with this entrance mat. I purchased it after trying several different ones from local stores only to have them not fit under my door. This entrance mat is thin enough to fit under my door but still seems to have sturdy construction. I love the rubber bottom to help keep water off the floor. Another unexpected plus is that it doesn’t slide at all either despite my three dogs running in and out all the time. It’s heavy and never bunches up and blocks the door like other mats I’ve tried. So far it has stood up well and the brown rug I chose has been great for hiding muddy pawprints and minimizing the amount of mud that gets tracked into my living room. I haven’t tried washing it yet but it is super easy to vacuum off and is heavy enough that the vacuum doesn’t suck it up like some rugs. I will definitely be purchasing another for my other door.
I ordered this rug in turquoise for our sunroom but it didn’t end up staying there long! I really liked the way it looked & moved it to our front entryway & it looks great! Even matches the throw pillows on bench! The quality is great too!! It actually does what a shoe mat is supposed to do, traps all the dirt & moisture! It even seems to attract my dogs never ending tumbleweeds! When it starts to look dirty (about 1x a week with 2 kids & a long hair Rotty) it’s super easy to clean, just run the vacuum over it and it looks brand new again! Would definitely recommend and i’ll be buying a second one for our patio!
I am very happy with this mat. I placed this mat in the busiest place of my house and the 16”x 30” size fits well with my need. The mat stayed in place, it doesn’t slide vs the previous mat I had that you always need to fix it so it stays in place. You also do not worry that someone might slip when using the mat since it stays in place. I was able to test this mat when we had continuous rain for 4 days – it was able to catch all the dirt and absorbed the water from our wet shoes. This mat kept my floor dry during the heavy rain. After the rain, it was very easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner. This mat seems durable and will be used at my house for a long time. It was a bonus that they have my favorite color available.
6. Elogio Indoor & Outdoor Door Mat – Best Outdoor Doormats
Get your floor mess-free with the Eligio Door Mat. It helps in no small ways to trap dirt, moisture, debris, mud and dust. It saves you from frequently cleaning and mopping the floor. It is slip-free and durable.
This outdoor doormat stays in place and very sturdy too. It can hold a lot of water. This is a doormat for the hardwood floor. Cleaning is no headache. This best outdoor doormat cleans up so easily. The doormat is thin and doesn’t disturb the opening and closing of the door.
- Slim & safe design – The doormat is low profile door mat and doesn’t hamper the opening and closing of the door. It is also safe to use since it is non-slip. There are no chances of getting tripped with the non-slip feature
- Easy cleaning – Cleaning the mat is super easy. A doormat makes cleaning of the home a lot easier. This is the purpose the doormat serves well. No matter the level of dirt, mud and moisture called by kids, animals and humans, the mat will perform. It can be cleaned with ease and maintained without a sweat. Cleaning can be done with a vacuum cleaner
- Durable – It is made with a durable material making it difficult to easily wear and tear no matter the intensity of use
- Functional doormat – The doormat is functional both indoor and outdoor. It is rugged and weather-resistant. It traps dirt, mud, moisture, snow and moisture with ease thereby reducing the rate of cleaning the home.
- Stays in position – The mat is heavy-duty making it easy to stay in position no matter the level of traffic witnessed.
This mat is very sturdy! The detail is simple and it is beautifully made. It’s soft enough that you can stand on it with bare feet but sturdy enough to clean off your dirty shoes. It says water proof so I dumped a cup of water on it and I am pleased to announce, it held the whole cup of water. I have hard wood floors so it’s hard to find a mat that will stay in place, this one does not move AT ALL! If I put it somewhere it stays where it is supposed to. I strongly recommend this product.
This rug has a good rubber backing. Makes it lay down nicer after rolled out. The raised design catches dirt nicely. I wish it was just a little bit bigger and fit the door exact. Fast shipping and nice communication between customer service. Would buy again!
I’m really enjoying the mat! I use it for my back yard wooden porch. It’s rubber at the bottom, that makes it lay down nicely and it does not slip or move on the wooden porch at all! The mat also has some soft textile on top that retains dust as well as it has a nice soft surface, that feels very nice when stepping on it even with bare feet. I was able to see how it perform during the heavy rain. It got wet and dried really fast, keeping all water and mess outside. The sizing works great for me! I really love this product!
7. Heavy-Duty Natural Rubber Outdoor Doormat – Best Rubber Door Mat
Prevent dirt and mud from dropping inside your home using the Heavy-Duty Outdoor Doormat. It is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. Use it in the garage, store, kitchen, bank, patio and other places to reduce the stress of constant mopping and cleaning.
The wrought-iron design is nice and the construction is sturdy. This best doormat for sand can hold up even in snow. Just shake it off and drop it back. It doesn’t freeze to a wooden surface. Shoe heels may get caught up within the doormat spaces.
Because it has no backing; the dirt, mud, moisture, snow and grass all get trapped within the spaces meaning you would have to do a constant sweeping underneath it. The grass door mat has good styling and durability because of its heavy-duty rubber.
- Durable material – The mat is made of natural durable rubber material with iron-wrought design to give it a classy look
- Easy to clean – Traps dirt, mud, sand, debris, grass, moisture with ease. Just shake off the dirt and return the doormat in place
- Perfect for homes – This mat is heavy duty door mat and durable. It serves well in all weather. This is a nice doormat for the bedroom too.
This is a beautiful faux wrought iron rubber door mat that is thick and well made, perfect for catching dirt and grime off the bottom of shoes as well as hanging on the wall to cover ugly louvered vent outlets. I’m giving 5 stars because it’s well made, it shipped very quickly and the best part of all: they sent me an EXTRA one free of charge! It made my day! Thank you!
I love this mat! We had to buy this for our front door because my front porch is only partially covered. Our door mats were getting wet when it rained and they never seemed to full drain the water from them. This mat has eliminated that issue and is also beautiful.
This mat is awesome at collecting the leaves and little bits of grass that my dog drags in on my carpet. I have gone from sweeping my porch 3 times and vacuuming my entryway twice a day to once each every OTHER day. Life is good.
8. GrassWorx Clean Machine Patio Stripe Doormat – Best Double Door Mat
The large front door mats are made from AstroTurf scraper blades. This is a sturdy plastic mat that is easy on you when you step on it. The mat can also be used indoor and it does a good job trapping dirt and debris. It can withstand snow and salt.
This best doormat for cleaning shoes has drain holes but comes with fabric to ease out water to the bottom of the mat. The heavy duty door mat always stays in place no matter the traffic. This grass door mat has a low profile which makes it not to obstruct the opening and closing of the door.
- Durable – The mat is made of durable materials. It can resist mold and mildew.
- Double door mat – If you have been looking for a double door outdoor mat, this is your best bet.
- Easy to clean – The mat is easy to clean and dries fast. Simply shake off the dirt and wash with a hose water
- Suits all-weather – It is effective in all weather conditions holding off sand, debris, moisture, grass, etc.
This is exactly what I have been looking for! I already had a small door mat made of this same material, but had never been able to find another one anywhere. I found this company on Amazon.com, and ordered this large door mats. It is absolutely the BEST method for cleaning shoes ever! The one I already had has lasted about a decade, and all I have to do is hose it off periodically in the summertime and it is just like new. The best feature, besides how well it cleans the dirt off your shoes, is that it never becomes matted down. You will never find a better method for getting the mud and debris off your shoes before going inside. The color matches my house perfectly and really complements the decor. Very quality product. Will be purchasing more soon, one for each entrance.
This is absolutely THE BEST dirt and mud catcher for an approach to the door I have ever used. Wears like iron. The only critique I would make for this company is BRIGHT GREEN ASTROTURF is not the IN COLOR anymore. That went out with the ’70s. Women want something subdued and neutral because decor outside is as important as what goes on inside the home. I would try to get back to the great charcoal color you made in a smaller mat, which I have, and make it in the larger ones for sure.
This is an awesome mat. It scrapes the dirt off your feet and keeps it where it belongs – outside. We have one on the back patio and one under the ladder for the pool. It’s soft enough to comfortably walk on, which is a big bonus when you walk around barefoot in the summer. Because it was so soft, I realized it’s the perfect mat for the pool. The kids wipe their feet on it before climbing the ladder and the pool was WAY cleaner this summer. It holds a ton of dirt and you can just shake it off to clean it. If it gets dirty/grimy, you can easily wash it and the bristles stay intact. Really, this is a great mat!
9. J & M Home Fashions Doormat – Dog Proof Door Mat
Some of its needles start to remove. The fiber easily scrapes out mud, dirt and debris. This mat is very thick and durable. There is no doubt the mat is sturdy and cute.
This indoor doormat is useful in the garage, patio, kitchen, porch, stores and bedroom. They come in different colours and styles. The mat does not slip due to its PVC backing.
- Made of durable material – The mat is made of 100% coir fiber. It has a PVC edge that can withstand mold and mildew making it a durable mat
- Easy removal of dirt – The mat removes dirt, mud, dust, and snow from the shoe with ease keeping your home clean always.
- Ideal for homes – The mat is stylish and can complement your décor. Being heavy-duty and durable makes it the perfect match for your home.
- Versatile – The mat can be used in different places. It can be used in the living room, bathroom, bedroom and many other places in your home
- Non-slip – The mat doesn’t slip or make you trip because the rubber border helps to stabilize it giving it a proper grip.
We bought this for our new house and it has lasted a really long time. We had others similar to this before at our old house. The lettering and pictures disappeared quickly. So far this one has lasted a lot longer and the writing is still there!
I hoped the dog would wipe her paws, but her reading skills are pretty awful and she ignores the clear request. However, it reminds the humans in the house to wipe their feet upon entry, so this still counts as a win.
First, this mat is really cute. Second, it was delivered flat as opposed to rolled up. There us no curling up when it’s delivered this way. Third, it is very well-made and appears to be quite durable. Fourth, I’m happy that I purchased two of them because I really like them!
10. MPLUS Coco Coir Doormat – (Best Doormats for Winter)
The doormat can serve both indoor and outdoor use. It is a bit difficult to clean due to its coconut fibre material but good at scraping dirt off your shoes. The is a heavy duty door mat which makes it difficult to slip away.
There are no mildew or mold messes. All in all, this is a mat worth trying. It can experience light shedding over time.
- Indoor / Outdoor – The door is suited perfectly for both indoor and outdoor use. This makes it fit your doorway.
- Built strong – It is built strong with coconut shell for durability. This makes it tough enough to withstand harsh weather conditions.
- Low maintenance – The mat is easy to maintain incurring minimal maintenance cost. Just dust it off or use a vacuum and it is ready for another. It can withstand abuse from animals and children.
- Nice design – No doubt the mat has an attractive design that can make a lasting impression on your visitors. It is eco-friendly and heavy-duty.
- Coconut coir material – The mat is made of coconut fiber. The door mat material does a good job trapping dirt, mud, sand, debris, and grass amongst other particles.
I am a stickler for doormats and bought this one because it had the most beautiful but simple design. Colors are bright and would work well for all of Fall’s holidays. I looked at quite a few before I purchased and I just could not let one slip away! I am a fan of coir mats and although I have not put this one out yet (It’s been pretty hot here in the Northeast,) I am sure it will do as good a job as any coir mats I have purchased. I would order from this company again because I am so pleased.
I’m actually very happy with both of these cute doormats!! I got the Halloween one and the fall leaves one! They are perfect to go with all of my Halloween/fall/Thanksgiving decor on my front porch/door area! It’s actually a pretty good quality and it’s pretty sturdy. Obviously when I opened the packages, it sheds just a little but you just shake it off outside and they seem pretty durable because the Halloween one withstood rain & snow, and the fall leaves one I set out in early November and it’s now December 20 and I just switched it for my Christmas mat.
I needed a plain carpet to use some oil-based paint and paint on a custom stenciled design, and this did the trick wonderfully. Very durable and thick, and if you’re looking to paint it or something like I did, it’ll retain that paint very well. It’s been sitting outside all summer and it hasn’t faded or washed off.
Types of doormats
It is important to note that all doormats are not the same. You have got to make the right impression with the right type of doormat. So, before you purchase a mat, you need to know the different types of door mats that are available. Below are the three types of doormats with their cons and pros.
1. Coir doormats –
The coir doormats are made of coconut fibre. Some are PVC backed while others are not. The unbacked ones easily channel out water. They are available in different styles and patterns. They are heavy-duty and thick. They are of different quality. Look for the one with high quality since cheap ones can get spoilt easily.
- The mat can effectively scrape off dirt, mud, grass. Debris, etc
- Sheds off with time
2. Rubber doormats –
Rubber is the best doormat material around the world. Rubber doormats are the most used doormats. It is mostly used in commercial places. They are also used at home especially in garages.
- The rubber doormats are effective at trapping dirt, debris, grass, mud and other types of particles from the shoes. The doormat has holes to easily drain water.
- It usually comes in black. It is not tough enough to withstand adverse weather conditions
3. Synthetic pile doormats –
This type of mat have a pile and made from Polypropylene. Moisture is absorbed by the pile. It has a barrier to trap dirt. It can absorb water from a wet shoe very well.
- Good at removing dirt from the shoes and absorbing water.
- It can get flatten over time due to its Polypropylene. It is not as durable as the coir or synthetic pile doormats.
Buying Guide for Choosing the Best Door Mats in 2020
Door Mats, also known as floor mats, have become part of the interior in many homes. It is used both indoors and outdoors. Apart from homes, they have also become a prominent feature in cars, malls, banks, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, eateries and a host of other places. It is also used in the office. Doors mats are used to trap dirt and water effectively especially where you have high foot traffic such as at the restaurants, malls and banks. They come in different designs and patterns. Some doormats are slip-resistant while others are not. If you are looking for the best floor mats, you are in the right place. Read on as we review the 10 best doormats in the market in 2019. These are different from the exercise mats.
Laying a good doormat is not just good at making a good impression on your visitors. It also helps to make your floor clean. These are what you should consider before purchasing a doormat.
Indoor or outdoor mat –
The very first thing to consider is where the mat would be placed. Do you want it indoor or outdoor? If you choose to use it outdoor, you must consider a weather-resistant mat. Water-resistant mats are made from woven seagrass, coconut fiber or teak. Durable doormats are made from these materials and are capable of withstanding abuse where there is high indoor and outdoor traffic
Look at the surface of the doormat –
Always consider the surface of the doormat before purchasing one. Look out for a mat that has an abrasive surface. In the alternative, you check for the one with scraper surface to easily scrape off particles such as dirt, debris, grass, mud, etc.
Completely avoid using an all-rubber doormat –
There is no doubt rubber mats are cheap, affordable and durable but it best used indoor. Using them during winter makes them go bad easily. In the winter period, rubber doormats get cracked easily and tear apart.
A good mat stays in place –
No matter the weather, a doormat should stay in place especially when the weather is muddy. It is irritating to have your mat move off your feet. The best way to solve this is to go for heavy-duty and non-slip mats with backings that assist in helping the mat to stay in place.
Doormats come in various sizes. Look for the size that suits your door. Consider the width of the door to know the right size. You don’t need a mat that is not too short. Consider the width of the mat alongside the height.
Clean the mat –
Periodic cleaning of the doormat is important. Clean mats are more effective at trapping dirt, mud, debris and other particles. For some mats, it is just a matter of shaking the dirt off or use a vacuum while for others you have to wash off with a hose running water.
Important FAQs about Best Door Mats in 2020
What are doormats made of?
A lot of people are inquisitive asking what doormats are made of. We will trash that in this article. Some doormats are made of Olefin. Olefin is a synthetic material used in the production of doormats and rugs. It is very resistant to mildew and mold. It is very ideal for indoor use. Doormats made from Olefin synthetic material is usually bound with stitches all-round the edges of the mat. It is very easy to clean. Scrub or use a running water hose to clean it. It dries easily too. Coir is another material used in making doormats. This is not common. Coir is a fiber that is gotten from coconut husk. It is then used to produce quality mats. It involves a lot of processes from sucking the husk to drying it. It is then dyed, painted, cut and shaped to different designs. This material is environmentally-friendly because the material is biodegradable. Another material that doormats are made from is polyester. Polyester could be vinyl or rubber. Polyesters are from naturally-occurring chemicals. They are biodegradable too. They can also be synthetic. They are blended with fabric to produce nice doormats. These three materials are the major materials that doormats are made of.
How to clean a doormat?
For the doormat to continue to perform well it has to be constantly cleaned. Three things that you need for the thorough cleaning of a doormat are vacuum cleaner, a water hose and mild dish soap. You can also use baking powder and a scrub brush. Always check the manufacturer’s instructions before you use any other thing other than a vacuum cleaner. It makes sense to shake off the dirt from the doormat every week. You can smack the mat on the wall severally to remove deep-rooted dirt. Do a vacuum cleaning every month. Vacuum cleaning helps it to remove dirt that could not be removed by shaking off or smacking the mat. Seasonally, do a water hose washing along with soapy water. Doing this will make the mat be in top shape.
How to wash doormats?
It is not all doormats that you can wash using the machine. This is why you must read the manufacturer’s instructions. You can do a machine wash if your mat is made of synthetic material. Wash one mat at a time. Do not overload the machine because the machine may become unbalance since doormats are heavy-duty. Once the mat has a tag that reads “machine washable”, it means it can be washed with a machine. Deep the mat into the machine, add enough detergent, then, rinse.
Here’s a nice video on How To Clean A Door Mat:Video Transcript:
How to paint a doormat?
There are different types of doormats. There is a coir mat, synthetic mat and rubber mat. You cannot paint these three types of doormats the same way. In this guide, we shall be discussing how to paint a coir mat. A coir mat is made of coconut fiber.
- Items needed to paint a coir mat
- Latex paint
- Masking tape
- Newspaper to protect the floor from being messed up.
Then just go through these process below to paint a doormat perfectly:
- -Lay on the floor or table. Just any flat surface.
- -Using the masking tape, make a diagonal line across the doormat. Ensure that the tape is straight and pinned properly at each ends.
- -Dip the paintbrush into the paint and brush one part of the doormat. You have to soak that one side well. Coir mats absorb paint very well. It takes up to 10 minutes for the paint to sink in
- -Remove the masking tape
- -Dry the mat for one or two day before use.
A first hand video tutorial on How To Paint A Door Mat:Video Transcript:
You can never go wrong with floor mats. They help to keep your home clean. You cannot do without it if you want to make your home conducive for living. Cleanliness is next to godliness. Cleanliness is what a floor mat helps you to achieve. To ensure all-round cleanliness, you must ensure that you go for rugged mats that can withstand heavy pressure and stay in place. This is why we recommend MPLUS Coco Coir Doormat. Made of coconut fiber, this is a durable floor mat. Though it may shed over time it must have delivered high performance before shedding. Also, take note of the J & M Home Fashions Doormat. It is made of coir material and durable too. It is high time you made the effort to make your home clean free of dirt, debris, mud, sand, moisture and grass that easily find their way into your home. Get a doormat and reduce the frequency of cleaning your home.