Are squirrels giving you a tough time?
Are they eating up food meant for backyard birds?
Do you want to stop squirrels from depleting food prepared for birds?
If yes, what you need is a squirrel proof bird feeder.
Squirrels can sabotage your efforts to feed birds effectively. They are fast, acrobatic and voracious eaters. Bird feeders help to stop squirrels from emptying bird seeds. With bird feeders, birds can feed to their satisfaction.
If you are looking for the best chipmunk proof bird feeder, we are here to make your search super easy. Read on as we review the best feeders for a squirrel-free bird feeding.
Quick Comparison on 10 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
Take a good look at the table below. The comparison table will help you make a good choice.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
- 1. Squirrel Buster Plus –
- 2. Squirrel Buster Bird Feeder –
- 3. Squirrel Buster Classic –
- 4. Droll Yankees Flipper Bird Feeder –
- 5. Woodlink Absolute II Bird Feeder –
- 6. Squirrel Solution200 Bird Feeder –
- 7. NEWCREA Clear Window Bird Feeder –
- 8. Myard MBF 75160-G Double-Sided Bird Feeder –
- 9. Will Bills 8 Station Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder –
- 10. Perky-Pet 339Squirrel Be Gone II Bird Feeder –
- Considerations for Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
- FAQs on Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
- Final Verdict
Top 10 Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
1. Squirrel Buster Plus –
Feed birds to their heart desire with the Squirrel Buster Plus. With a feeding capacity of 5 pounds, birds can feed well without the worries of squirrels. It has 6 feeding ports. It is also pole mountable making easy to be hung on the branch of a tree. The feeder’s closing mechanism is very sensitive to the weight of a squirrel. Birds will feed comfortably from the feeder but when a squirrel comes, the feeder shuts it out without hurting it. It has an adjustment setting for the size of birds that you want to attract to the feeder. To reduce the setting, turn the setting anticlockwise and increase the setting by turning it clockwise. It can easily be dismantled by hand for ease of cleaning. It has a seed ventilation system to keep the seeds fresh always.
- Seed ventilation system – The seed ventilation system makes seeds stay fresh due to vents that release hot air and return cool breeze into the feeder.
- Chew-proof – The feeder is made of strong material making it difficult to squirrels to chew.
- No tools needed – The feeder is easy to assemble and disassemble by hand thereby requiring no tools at all
- Adjustable weight – Choose the weight of the birds that you want to feed by adjusting the setting. You can either adjust clockwise and anticlockwise
- Completely squirrel-proof – The weight of an adult squirrel automatically closes the feeder denying the squirrel access to seeds.
Feed birds without the headache of squirrels with the effective Squirrel Buster. The feeder prevents squirrels from exhausting the birds’ food. It has a sensitive mechanism that shuts off the feeder based on the weight of the squirrels. Allow about 18 inches clearance before placing the bird feeder. The feeder is easy to clean and fill. The weight can be adjusted to discourage bigger birds. It requires no tools to use. The feeder can contain 1.3 pounds of seeds. It comes with a seed ventilation system to keep the seeds always fresh. It also protects the seeds against bad weather conditions.
- Squirrel-proof – The bird feeder is squirrel-proof. The weight of an adult squirrel closes the feeder thereby denying the squirrel access to food.
- Chew-proof – The squirrel cannot chew the feeder since it is made of metal material.
- Proper ventilation system – The feeder is made to effectively let out heat and regulate humidity by letting in the fresh air. This helps the birds’ food to remain fresh.
- UV resistant – It is ultraviolet-resistant thereby making the feeder to look new always
- Waterproof and rustproof –It doesn’t get affected by the rain and doesn’t get rust making it a durable bird feeder.
Feed birds with ease and keep squirrels at bay with the Squirrel Buster Classic. The Classic is made with an innovative technology that attracts birds to the feeder. It attracts different birds such as hairy woodpeckers, cardinals, indigo buntings, purple finches, rose-breasted grosbeaks and white-breasted nuthatches. It attracts both perching and clinging birds. Whether it is sunflower seeds or other types of seeds, the feeder can hold up to 2.4 pounds capacity of seeds. Squirrels are very clever but the Classic is 100% effective at preventing them from finishing food made for your backyard birds. It has an indicator on the bottom of the feeder to prevent the overfilling of seeds.
- Easy to fill and clean –The feeder is easy to fill and clean. It can be washed with detergent. Cleaning requires no tools.
- Ventilation – The seed tube ventilation system releases hot and humid air through the waterproof vents at the top and cool air enters through the bottom of the bird feeder. The ventilation helps to prevent the seed from getting spoilt. It also prevents seed mold.
- Easy perching and clinging –The bird feeder is made convenient for easy perching and clinging of birds. The wire shroud provides a proper surface for clinging. The seed ports have perches for the perching of birds. You can remove the perches to stop bigger birds from perching.
- Ease of placement – There is no headache when it comes to where to place the bird feeder. It can be placed anywhere conveniently. It can be hung using a hook.
- Durable –It is made with rust-resistant galvanized steel construction making it chew-proof and squirrel-proof.
The Yankees Flipper is a motorized bird feeder that deters squirrels but allows birds to feed without hindrances. It has four feeding chambers that can be easily accessed through the perch ring. The feeder is squirrel-proof. When a squirrel jumps on the perch ring, the ring spins the squirrel several times until it is thrown off. The weight of the squirrel is what activates the motor that spins the squirrel. The tube cap is made of metal and the squirrels cannot open it to eat the seeds. It has a seed capacity of 5 pounds thereby reducing constant seed refilling. Four seed ports enable multiple birds to feed at the same time. It comes with a stainless steel looped wire to hang the tube feeder. This helps to reduce the spilling of seeds. This is the best amongst the spinning squirrel proof bird feeders.
- Squirrel-proof – The squirrel-proof design makes it difficult for squirrels to feed on the bird feeder. Small and larger birds can perch without problems but the moment a squirrel steps in, the weight of the squirrel triggers the motor, the feeder starts to spin the squirrel until it is thrown off balance.
- Large seed capacity –The Flipper Bird Feeder has a seed capacity of 5 pounds allowing for a mixture of different seeds. The large capacity eliminates frequent refilling. Four ports are allowing for different kinds of birds to feed at the same time. The feeder is made with a clear tube for easy tracking of seed levels
- Durable construction – The transparent seed tube is made of UV-stabilized polycarbonate material making it last for a long time without discoloration. The feeder itself is made of metal components to avoid fading over time
- Attracts different birds – The Yankees Flipper is designed to attract a variety of birds such as woodpeckers, finches, grackles, nuthatches, sparrows, jays, juncos, kinglets, grosbeaks, starlings, titmice, redpolls, towhees, and wrens.
- Works with mixed seeds – The feeder works well with mixed seeds such as peanut chunks, safflower seeds, sunflower kernels and cracked corns but it is more suited for sunflower seeds.
Attract birds to your backyard and repel squirrels with the Absolute II Squirrel-Repellant Bird Feeder. It is made with a green powder-coated steel body and a zinc-plated steel hanger for durability. It has a two-sided feeder to attract different shades of birds to your backyard. There is a locking top with metal perches that is easily activated by the weight of a squirrel to keep squirrels away. The feeder has three adjustment positions that can be adjusted to fit birds of different sizes. The three adjustment positions are Light, Medium and Heavy Birds. With a large seed capacity of 12 pounds, different seeds can be mixed conveniently and birds can feed with the utmost ease.
- Durable steel construction – Squirrels can chew bird feeders made of plastic and wood. This is why the Absolute II is made of durable metal to make the feeder chew-proof.
- Easy seed filling – The lid is easy to open to fill bird seeds and it holds 12 pounds of seed capacity.
- Double feeders – The Absolute II has a double feeder for the easy feeding of birds. It prevents waste of seeds.
- Weight adjustable perches – You can select the weight of the kind of birds you want to feed using the weight adjuster. The Weight Adjustment Perches only allows the weight of birds set on the weight adjustment setting
- Big seed capacity – You can mix seeds with the 12 pounds seed capacity feeder. The big capacity reduces the frequency of seed refilling.
The Solution 200 delivers squirrel-free feeding for backyard birds. It is heavy-duty yet very effective at keeping squirrels at bay. The design is very attractive. It has small perches which makes it ideal for smaller birds. It is made to preserve seed no matter the weather condition. The ease of setup and cleaning is commendable. There are no tools needed for assembly and disassembly. The seed capacity is 3.4 pounds and good for a mixture of many seeds. Setting up the feeder requires an 18-inch or 47 cm clearance on all sides. The trigger mechanism is active and it triggers the weight of a squirrel and ports are shut down to prevent squirrels from eating from the seeds. The bird feeder comes with no hanging hardware. You may have to look for a tree branch to place it. The seed ventilation system lets out humidity and hot air allowing in a cool breeze. Occasionally, there are seed spillages from the holes and bottom of the feeder. This feeder is not adjustable.
- Easy setup – Setting up the feeder is easy. It can be done with bare hands. No need for any form of tools.
- Heavy-duty design – This is a durable feeder made from powder-coated steel and the inner tube is made from UV-treated plastic.
- Chew-proof – The metal construction makes it hard for squirrels to destroy with their teeth. It is waterproof and rustproof
- Free seed funnel – Filling seeds into the feeder is easy with the free seed funnel.
- No tools needed – Dismantling the feeder is easy without the use of tools. Dismantling into different components can be done by hand.
Watch the beauty of nature from your window with the Window Bird Feeder. This is a different type of bird feeder compared to the others made of steel. It is made with sturdy 3mm acrylic. This unique feeder is see-through making it interesting to watch birds feed on the feeder while relaxing from the comfort of your room. The adhesive sticker is weather-resistant. It is durable and lightweight. Both the top and bottom of the feeder are waterproof thereby protecting the seeds from being spoilt by the rain. There are two extra suction cups with adhesive ensuring the feeder is well secured to the window even in tough weather conditions. The feeder can contain between three to five birds comfortably. The modern acrylic window bird feeder is suited for different occasions such as sills, patios, apartments, kitchens, living rooms, and bathrooms. This is a great gift for bird lovers but it is not squirrel-proof.
- Unique design – The clear window bird feeder stands out from the traditional bird feeders. The acrylic feeder is lovely to watch when relaxed and sitting by the window side.
- Extra suction cups – There are two extra suction cups for proper and easy feeding of birds.
- Easy to clean – There is no difficulty in cleaning the feeder. Remove the seed tray, clean and return it.
- Weatherproof – The sturdy construction prevents rain, snow, and wind.
- Easy to fill – The feeder can be removed conveniently from the comfort of your room and be filled. There is no need to disassemble the feeder.
The double-sided bird feeder is squirrel-proof and has a large seed capacity of 6 pounds. Raccoons cannot be prevented with this feeder. It has extendable perches for the convenience of bigger perching birds. The metal construction makes it chew-proof against squirrels. There is weight adjustment to accommodate bigger birds with four adjustment levels on each side of the feeder. This is one of the best squirrel proof bird feeders on poles.
- Durable construction – The feeder is made of powder-coated steel body and acrylic construction making it durable and strong
- Huge seed capacity – Feeding more birds is easy with a 6 pounds seed capacity. The large seed capacity reduces the frequency of seed filling
- Double-sided – The double-sided feeder makes bird feeding super easy. It is easy to clean without the use of tools
- Extendable perches –Each side of the perch has a spring. There are four spring setting on each side to increase the tension to allow for bigger birds.
- Easy to fill – It is easy to fill and hang. It requires neither tools nor dismantling. Just lift the top and pour the seeds.
If you have tried many of the bird feeders out there without luck, it is high time you tried the Will Bills bird feeder. It comes with a light electric shock to deter squirrels from gaining entry into the feeder but no shocks to birds. The shock doesn’t harm the squirrels. Shocks make it very squirrel-proof. Raccoons are also deterred. There are 8 stations for the easy feeding of wild birds. The feeder can be hung or mounted but it comes with no mounting hardware. It has a 9-volt battery. Never allow the battery to die because that would give squirrels and raccoons access to the feeder through the lid.
- Shock feature – The innovative non-lethal shock keep squirrels and raccoons away. They only make several attempts but give up in the end.
- 8 feed stations – With 8 feeding stations, birds can eat to their satisfaction.
- 9-volt battery – Powered by a 9-volt battery to keep sustained current that shocks squirrels and keep them away
- Large feeding capacity – Fill up the feeder with enough bird seeds and watch birds feed with ease
- Sturdy construction – The unit is sturdy with a metal tray. Its body is a combination of metal and plastic making it durable.
Make your yard a birds’ paradise with the house-like Perky-Pet 339. It has a mechanism that shuts out squirrels from eating the birds’ food. The weight of the squirrel is what triggers the mechanism. Its feeding station is big enough for the feeding of different birds. The attractive design can attract birds such as woodpeckers, kinglets, flickers, grackles, sparrows, wrens, jays, juncos, cardinals and finches.
- Adjustment setting – There is an adjustable setting that can be calibrated to allow larger birds to perch.
- Weights activated perch – The weight of the squirrel is activated when a squirrel perches blocking it from exhausting food prepared for birds
- Easy to fill and use – With a removal roof peak, filling the feeder is super easy. It is capable of holding 8 pounds of different seeds such as sunflowers, black oil sunflowers, and safflower seeds. After filling it, hang it and watch nature at its best.
- Strong construction – All metal construction makes it tough and durable.
- Great design – The house-like design is a great attraction for birds. The roof can be removed at once for easy filling.
Considerations for Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
Birders love squirrel-proof bird feeders. It is fun and exciting to feed birds but it can be challenging when squirrels and raccoons make it an awful experience. There are a few things to consider before buying a chipmunk proof bird feeder if you want a hassle-free bird feeding. Below are the buying guides for bird feeders.
Ensure it is chew-proof –
Squirrels can do everything to have access to bird seeds. They can destroy the feeder in their desperation if the feeder is made of light plastics or woods. Having a chew-proof bird feeder means the construction must be metal. Metal construction is sturdier than that of plastic or wood.
Look for a feeder that can handle both small and large squirrels. Weight mechanism feeders can create loopholes for smaller squirrels to have access to seeds since the weight trigger is made possible by the weight of the bigger squirrels. If the weight mechanism system will prove ineffective in this case, it is better to go for electric shock bird feeders
Good ventilation system –
You cannot overlook ventilation when purchasing a feeder. The seed ventilation system helps to keep the seeds fresh for a longer time. It enables humidity and hot air to escape through the vents while restoring cool breeze into the feeder. So, it makes sense to look for a feeder with the right ventilation
Ease of cleaning –
A bird feeder should not be difficult to clean. Look for a feeder that is easy to clean by removing the tray.
Easy to fill –
Feeding your backyard birds should be stress-free. There are feeders with lids. Opening the lid makes it easy to fill the feeder.
Look at for feeding capacity –
There is no sense in filling the seeds now and then. A feeder with large capacity makes feeding very convenient. Go for feeders with at least a feeding capacity of 3 pounds.
Feeding ports –
Birds should feed conveniently if there is more than one port. A feeder of about 4 ports makes the feeding of birds of different sizes very easy.
Use a feeding station or pole –
Poles allow you to hang multiple feeders to attract wild birds. Look for long poles as much as 100 inches. Poles are easy to install requiring no form of tools at all. Poles eliminate the thought of clearance distance which is usually considered when placing a bird feeder.
Don’t only look for a squirrel-proof feeder, also look for raccoon-free ones. Squirrels are the usual suspects but raccoons can also eat up bird food. When looking for a bird feeder, search for the ones that can keep both squirrels and raccoons at bay.
Feeding combinations –
There are different feeding combinations for birds. Sunflowers, safflowers, black oil sunflower seeds and peanuts are some of the blends. These seeds can be mixed up but the best seeds for birds are the sunflower. A lot of birds are attracted to sunflower and most feeders are made to work well with sunflowers.
FAQs on Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders in 2020
How do squirrel-proof bird feeders work?
Do squirrel feeders work? Yes, this is how it works. Bird feeders are made to work in different ways. Some are made to provide a shock to the squirrels while some others are made with a weight trigger mechanism. In all, the most important thing is to keep squirrels, raccoons, and rats away from the feeder.
How to keep blackbirds away from bird feeders?
Some birders hate the sight of blackbirds. When blackbirds are attracted to your feeder, they discourage the perching of other birds because blackbirds are known as bully birds. Here is a way out.
Smaller birds such as songbirds and chickadees love to eat sunflowers. Jays and cardinals don’t joke with sunflowers too. But blackbirds don’t like the taste of sunflower. This is one way to discourage blackbirds from perching in the first place.
- Reduce the length of the perches – Making the length of the perches short helps to discourage blackbirds. They can’t stand on short perches. Use a knife or hacksaw to reduce its length.
- Hang the feeder up-side-down – Hanging the feeder up-side-down helps to discourage the blackbirds. Birds such as woodpeckers and goldfinches can conveniently eat when the feeder is placed up-side-down but blackbirds cannot eat in such position
- Buy a hopper feeder – Getting a hopper feeder reduces blackbirds’ attraction to the feeder. Smaller birds love hopper feeders. Some of the hopper feeders have perches that usually collapse. Collapsed perches make blackbirds look elsewhere for food because they are unable to stand on such perches.
- Try new types of feeders – Cage-type feeders are perfect for small birds. The holes on the feeders only fit the beaks of these small birds thereby making it hard for blackbirds to feed on them.
How to attract birds to the feeder?
Attracting songbirds such as finches, sparrows, and bluebirds to your backyard can be difficult if you fail to provide their natural habitats. If you want to turn your backyard to the haven of birds, here is what you need to do:
- Provide food – Having a bird feeder is the right way to attract different types of birds. Supply the feeder with bird seeds like sunflower and see colorful birds come to your backyard
- Water – Apart from providing a feeder, providing adequate water is another major attraction for birds. Birds love to drink water no matter the species. It will be great if there is a lake or stream at your backyard
- Avoid bad food – Some foods can poison birds since these foods hardly digest. Avoid foods such as bread, crackers and processed carbohydrates. These are bird toxins. Also, avoid millet and oat.
- Clean the feeder – As you change their food frequently, you should also clean the feeder periodically. It should be cleaned at least every two weeks. Bird droppings, bacteria, and fungi can contaminate the bird food and kill them. During wet weather, food can develop mold. So, always ensure the feeder is thoroughly cleaned and sweep off food that drops to the ground.
- Plant bird-friendly fruits – To make it more habitable for birds, it makes sense to plant trees, shrubs, and plants. All these help to attract more birds easily. Birds are attracted to berries and fruit.
How to hang a bird feeder?
Many bird feeders come with hanging ropes, integrated hooks or wire loops. Knowing how to hang a feeder will be to the advantage of the birds and the birders. It all depends on the design of the feeder and the location where it can be hung at the backyard. Some feeders need S-shaped hooks for proper hanging. Some other ones need a cord to do the right hanging. The S-shaped hooks are available online and can be ordered or purchased from hardware stores. They are available in different thicknesses and lengths. If you choose a hook with a strong curve ends, it will help to secure the feeder more appropriately. If you choose a cord, it could be a rope, chain or twain. The length will depend on how high you need to hang the feeder. A cord should be properly knotted many times to ensure it doesn’t fall off.
- When hanging a feeder, choose the right location. Choose a location with less wind
- Check how strong the hook or pole is. Test it to be sure it is very firm
- Always hang a feeder in a shaded area to protect the seeds from excessive heat.
Watch this video guide on How to Say No to Blackbirds by Wild Birds Unlimited, Inc.Video Transcript:
Check this nice video on How To Attract Birds by Ace Hardware:Video Transcript:
You may enjoy this video guide on How To Set Up A Bird Feeder by Ace Hardware:Video Transcript:
Birders love bird feeder because it is easy to set. Choosing the right feeder that suits your needs can be overwhelming sometimes. This recommendation will help you in no small ways to make a good pick. This is why we recommend the Myard MBF 75160-G Double-Sided Bird Feeder because it keeps both squirrels and raccoons in check. It also has a 6-pound feeding capacity or you choose the Will Bills 8 Station Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder for its shock-effect on squirrels and raccoons. If raccoons are not your problem, then, it is safe to recommend Squirrel Buster Classic or the Woodlink Absolute II Bird Feeder. These are some of the best squirrel proof bird feeders Amazon can offer.