Does your back get hurt when you are doing floor work?
Are you worried about abs not getting build even by doing crunches?
Does your floor get soiled by the sweat of your body?
If you agree, then you required an exercise mat. If you want to enjoy floor workouts by protecting your tender knees, back, hips, and even the tailbone then this review is for you only. You can be in a healthy routine and fit as you will easily get attracted to fitness by using the exercise mat. Listed below are the 10 best exercise mats for you:
Quick Comparison of 10 Best Exercise Mats in 2021
Before going for a detailed review check the quick comparisons on top-rated Exercise Mats for instant selection:
Things to consider before buying the exercise mat in 2021
The fitness mats are important accessories when you do yoga either in your home in the gym. Not only they give you a smooth surface to do any yoga pose, but they also provide you security from any injury. Some of the factors are listed below that you must keep in mind before buying the exercise mat:
(1). Thick foam:
Make sure that the thick cushion foam you are planning to buy must have a pad that gives you a good cushion. It must not be simply a large sheet of foam, but real foam that gives you protection from any possible injury.
And it must be large enough to allow you to do any yoga pose or gymnastics or even aerobics. It must store your whole body while you are doing exercises lying down on it. And it must give you access to do a long hour workout session. The thick foam mats must be in high density which helps them in being a thick mat.
Also, the top layer of the mat must be smooth enough to make your yoga session more enjoyable and comfortable. Note that the mat must allow you to be used on any type of floor such as carpet, concrete, or tile in your room at the home.
Keep in mind that your mat is toxic-free so that it becomes humanizing and user-friendly for you. When you are placing an order of the mat, check that it is free from PVC and is made up of the material which is toxic-free plastic. Containing the carcinogens, the thick foam sheets become unnatural to your body and may seriously affect your body such as rashes and in some cases skin infection as well.
The highly recommended material to be used in the mat must be natural rubber as it makes you feel more comfortable and better. Make sure that your mat is approved by the RoHS, OAHs and 6P which make it suitable for you to do yoga and even pilates.
(3). Light in weight:
The mat you are shopping for must be light in weight to allow you to carry it easily from one place to the other. It must be thick and must be comfortable to transport easily so that you can use it in the environment according to your wish either in your home or the gym or club.
It must have either strap or handles that make it even easier to fold and unfold it according to your use. Also, it saves the space to allow you to do any exercise by using it flat on the surface or roll it up. The home exercise mat must allow you to store it anywhere which makes it handy and thus it gives comfort to you.
(4). Fun color:
The mat with bright colors and the fun pattern doesn’t need to come for kids only; they are also available for adults. You must opt for the mat which has a design that pleases you so that it makes your workout session more interesting. It allows you to build concentration and makes you fit physically as well as mentally.
The bright colors and the fun patterns on the mat make it an enjoyable moment for you when they do yoga. Thus, it provides a healthy routine for you and your kids. Also, it helps them to be calm when they get into the mode of silliness. This feature on the mat will surely make your yoga session more fun.
You must choose a mat that is non-slippery so that it gives you a strong grip while you are doing any kind of exercise on it. If the mat makes you slide on it and you are clinging to it then definitely this is not the mat you are looking for. The stickiness must be present on the outer surface of the mat to make it slip-resistant.
Also, your exercise equipment mat must be a little bit thicker than any other common mat. Make sure that it must provide safety to you by protecting you from any possible injury. Keep in mind that it gives you traction in extra amount and support whenever you move your body.
Details Review on 10 Best Exercise Mats in 2021
(1). Giantex 4’x8’x2 Gymnastics Mat
This exercise mat is suitable for activities related to gymnastics. It is designed in such a way that its feature of non-tearable make it strong. Also, it consists of carrying handles and Velcro. Light in weight, this best thick exercise mat or yoga mat can be folded very easily.
- Thick mats: These are 2-inch thick exercise mats which makes them suitable for any exercise. Also, a foam of great quality is used in it which makes it supportive for home, gym, exercise, aerobics, and even MMA.
- Large mat: This is a big exercise mat enough to allow you to do any roller, stand and stretch, etc. Firmly designed to give you enough space for lying, this mat comes with a carrying handle.
- Easy folding: For saving the storage of space, it can be folded very easily. Also, light in weight, it can be easily moved. This mat is great for daily use and thus making it but exercise made for you.
- Moderate hardness: Strongly designed, this exercise mat is very solid because of not so soft and not so hard foam inside it. It allows you to do any exercise or gymnastics on it, which makes it user–friendly and humanized. Also, the Velcro allows you to connect more mats next to each other very firmly.
(2). Best Choice Products 8ft 4-Panel Foam Folding Exercise Gym Mat
This exercise mat has a length of 8 feet and is made up of foam which makes it easy to fold. Also, these gym exercise mats come with handles that make them suitable for gymnastics, aerobics, and simple exercises like yoga.
- Foam Support: These foam exercise mats provide a very safe surface to practice any kind of exercise. Also, it is 2 inches thick which is due to the EPE foam in high density. The extra-thick foam exercise mat gives you comfort and support whenever you do fitness training or gymnastics on it.
- Rich Leather: The leather used in this mat as the cover has a rich quality of non – absorbent. It supports the feature of long-lasting which is due to the double stitching.
- Convenient Storage: Consisting of carrying handles, this mat is very easy for transportation and folding. It is designed in such a way it gives access to quick and easy storage with the help of a 4- pad design. It comes with the self–fasteners on each edge which allows you to connect with the more mats next to each other making it a larger practice area.
- Multifunctional: Suitable for home, gym, exercise, aerobics, dancing, and other fitness training which makes it multifunctional, thus this mat is a perfect exercise mat for you.
(3). Athlos Fitness Ab Mat with Tailbone Protector
This exercise mat is suitable for fitness training related to sit-ups. With the help of the tailbone protector, it provides maximum safety to you from any possible injury. This best ab exercises on the yoga mat consist of the full range of motion for the abs training.
- Gives a full range of motion: Designed in such a way that it gives you the full range of motion for the workouts related to abs formation. Consisting of a tailbone protector.
- this fitness mat gives you stability with the high–density thickness. The crunches could not help you in the six-packs and the flat stomach formation but the mat gives you the help of the constant tension.
- Gives you complete isolation: This exercise mat isolates the abdominal when you do crunches, leg – lifts or the best exercise mat for sit-ups. For doing the perfect sit-up reps, it takes the hip flexor out of the equation. By not hurting your lower back, provides you safety, making it an efficient fitness mat.
- Premium quality material: Made up of high-density foam to make this best fitness mat thick, it is suitable for the home gym. It is designed in such a way that it gives you safety and comfort especially to your lower back and gives you back support.
- Durable: It can be folded very easily, thus it is compact and durable. Also, it can be stored with ease and you can take it wherever you go.
(4). Pogamat: Use with Shoes or Without! Large Exercise Mat
This exercise mat is designed in such a way that you can use them without shoes or shoes. This memory foam yoga and exercise mat pad are best for large exercises. It is 2 inches thick which enables it to reduce the impact on your body by providing support when you do pushups, burpees, or any yoga activity.
- Thick foam: Made up of high-density foam, this fitness mat is thick which makes it suitable for the best exercise mats for home workouts such as P90X, kettlebells, sandbags, body weight. Also, it supports the beating with or without the shoes.
- Long-lasting: Reducing the impact on your body, this mat is made up of 2-inch thick foam. With the help of memory foam, the best exercise floor mats provide extra support when you do the floor exercising, burpees, or even yoga.
- Non-slip: Designed especially for yoga, it is a premium two-sided mat that is best for stretching without shoes. The top layer of the mat is very soft and is durable enough to support the long – session of yoga. The bottom layer includes the pad which makes it anti-slip to gives you grip and comfort.
- Eco-friendly: These foam exercise mats are made up of a material that is non-toxic, and does not have latex, silicon, thus making them non-flammable. Free from phthalates, this mat gives you security from all possible injuries.
(5). Everlast 2X6 Folding MAT
This exercise mat is designed in such a way that it is durable and can be folded easily which makes it convenient to store and move from one place to another easily. The non-absorbent shell makes it easy to clean and you can use these yoga mat exercises at home in continuity.
- Thick mat: This exercise mat is 8 inches thick with the help of the high – density foam. The mat provides a smooth surface to gives you the security to make it suitable for any kind of exercise. It gives you stability and constant tension.
- Folds easily: Designed in such a way, this good exercise mat can be folded very easily and you can move it from one place to the other with ease. And you can store it anywhere which makes it handy and thus it gives comfort to you.
- Durable: With the tough design, this fitness mat is long-lasting and it gives you durability. Light in weight, it can be used for daily use, either in the gym or in the home thus increasing its efficiency.
- Easy to clean: Made up of the non – absorbent shell, it can be clean very easily. Thus, it is the best exercise mat; also, you can use it in continuity. For easy carrying, it has sewn-on handles.
(6). Gaiam Kids Yoga Mat Exercise Mat
This fitness mat is designed for the kids especially as it has fun prints on it. It is made to impact positively on the kid for mental as well as physical growth. With the bright colors and the fun patterns, This yoga mat for exercise makes it an enjoyable moment for the kids when they do yoga.
- Best for the kid: Includes the bright color and fun patterns, this increases the concentration of the kids towards yoga. Thus, it provides a healthy routine to your kids and helps them to be calm when they get into the mode of silliness.
- Eco-friendly: The material used in this is a non-toxic gymnastics mat and 6P free and thus they are free from phthalates making them highly secure. Therefore, it gives you protection and it is the best exercise mat.
- Non-slippery: This exercise mat is non-slippery which gives your kid stability. Providing a secure grip to your kid when they are doing yoga, this mat is made up of the material which is slightly sticky with a light tact.
- Thick cushioning: Made up of the 3-millimeter thick foam, it gives a good cushion to your kid’s body when they are doing exercise. It is good for not only their physical health but also for mental health.
(7). SPRI Pro Exercise Mat for Fitness, Yoga, Pilates
This exercise mat is durable as it is long-lasting and is made up of qualitative material. It is 8 inches thick and is long enough to give you full the pace for lying down your body on it with comfort. The foam in it gives you a good cushion and thus this thick yoga mat is supportive.
- Pro exercise mat: This best long-lasting yoga mat is suitable for the exercise related to the floors and therefore making it the best exercise mat for the professional. The long version of it gives you access to lie down your full body with comfort.
- Non-slippery surface: It includes the textured surface which is non-slippery and thus giving you traction in an extra amount. It gives you support whenever you move your body.
- Suitable for gym and clubs: It can be stored very easily; either by keeping it flat or rolling it up to save space. Thus, this fitness mat allows you to enjoy the workout session in any type of environment.
- Qualitative material: Strongly designed, this best non-slippery yoga mat can be used in continuity by professionals especially. Designed for the commercial gym, you can use it as many times as you want.
(8) REEHUT 1/2-Inch Extra Thick NBR Exercise Yoga Mat
This 2-inch extra thick exercise mat is best for the NBR exercises and yoga for pilates. Also, you can carry it easily with the carrying strap provided with it. Light in weight, you can easily carry this extra thick yoga exercise mat from one place to the other.
- Comfortable: This folding exercise mat ensures that you are comfortable with the help of the material which is high–density foam NBR. It gives a cushion to your sensitive areas such as hips, spine, knees, and elbows from the hard floor with a ½ inch thickness.
- Slip-resistant: Non – slippery surface is provided by this mat as it is textured on both sides. Also, it provides safety to you by protecting you from any possible injury.
- Easy to carry: With the strap included in the mat, this non-slip exercise mat easy to carry from one place to the other. Also, they are light in weight, you can fold it very easily and it saves space thus it is the best to exercise mat.
- Eco-friendly: Approved by the RoHS, OAHs and 6P, this mat is non – toxic. Hence, it is suitable for yoga, Pilates, stretching and exercises related to maintaining the shape of your body.
(9). Airex Coronella Exercise Mat
Versatile in nature, this is personal exercise mats – sized mat that is suitable for exercises, pilates, yoga, aerobics, stretching and even water rehabilitation. When you do the workout, you can place this non-slippery mat flat on the floor and your workouts are over, you can roll back this best exercise mat for yoga or pilates.
- Super cushioning: Light in weight, best fitness mats are provided with the high–density foam which protects you from any possible injury. You can roll it back easily whenever your workout session gets over.
- Non-slippery surface: With the stickiness present on its outer surface, this mat is a little bit thicker than any other common mat. Also, it is highly recommended for training such as pilates by professionals.
- Durability: This professional exercise mat is long-lasting as it is resistant to water which does not damage the outer layer it. It is multi-functional as it can be used in-home or gym or even open clubs.
- Double stitching: With the stitching on both the side of the mat, it is strong enough to support the exercises like stretching, or aerobic workouts. The surface of this mat is designed as a closed-cell structure which increases its strength.
(10) Premium Extra Thick Large Exercise Mat
This exercise mat is thick due to the high–density foam and is large enough to allow you to lie down your whole body with comfort. Non – slippery in nature, it gives you grip and protects you from any possible injury. These best workout mats are ultra-durable as you can carry it very easily.
- Workout in the home also: With the strap present on each side, this is the roll-up exercise mat, it makes it easy for you to roll up or roll back the mat and starts doing exercises whenever you want in your home. You can save money from your gym membership.
- Double-sided design: The original exercise mat is designed on the double side with high-density foam which gives you a good cushion. It is non-slippery thus gives durability and provides you with a good cushion.
- Extra thick: This extra-thick workout mat protects you from any possible injury. It can be used on any type of floor such as carpet, concrete, or tile in your room at the home. It is to be noted as the plyometrics, sit-ups, and burpees need not be done hard on the mat.
- Includes other accessories: This exercise mat includes a towel to wipe away the moisture from the mat. Also, it comes with padding and grip to hold on to your whole body.
FAQs on the best exercise mat in 2021
Why do you need the exercise mat?
The exercise mat gives you a balance to you which is necessary when you are doing yoga or any exercise. It helps in protecting your hips and tailbone while doing pilates. Your floor or carpet remains clean as it absorbs sweat from your body.
They are non-slippery thus gives you a strong grip and are best for floor-related exercises. Also, the extra pad gives you a good cushion to protect you from any possible injury. Also, they are long enough to allow you to do exercise that makes you lie down on the exercise mat for homemaking it suitable for any yoga pose.
For extra padding, you can roll it double according to your comfort. With bright colors and fun patterns on your mat that pleases you, you can build up your concentration. Also, you can be in routine to help yourself being physically as well as mentally fit.
How to clean exercise mat?
You can clean your mat very easily as the outer layer is made up of the vinyl cover that also gives security to your mat from any possible damage. Take two cups of water and four drops of dish soap to wash your gym mat for home.
Either store it in the spray bottle and spray it on the area which is dirty or rub it with a terry cloth rag on the soiled area. After that wipe your mat with clean water and then dry it with a dry cloth towel. To let it dry completely, hang it up in the air. If the exercise mat Walmart is too dirty to be cleaned by simply rubbing then you must use must keep it in the tub which has the solution of warm water and detergent in mild quantity. It is advisable to use the soap in fewer amounts as it is difficult to rinse out the residue of soap from your mat.
This may make your mat slippery when you will use it after wash. Wash it with your hand by rubbing it gently and rinse it through the clean water. Squeeze out the extra water and roll it with the dry towel which will absorb the extra moisture from the mat. After that unroll it and hang up your fitness mat on the string to dry in air.
When should you use your exercise mat?
Although, the fitness mats are not required in any kind of exercise and can be done without using the. But in exercises such as floor work, you need to take out your mat to perform the workout on your floor. Some yoga poses that make you lay down on your back or in which you need to rest your forearms, the exercise mats are a must needed.
The mat will provide you a good cushion to your back when you are lying on the hard floor. The Reehut fitness mat is highly recommended for pilates which helps in protecting your hips and tailbone from getting injured. Also, it provided security to your fragile knees when doing pushups. You can use it for doing gymnastics as well as it is thick enough to protect you from any injury.
Also, they absorb any kind of shock that may be dangerous to your knees, ankles, spine or even neck. Perfect for crunches and highly preferred for stretching, the best exercise mat provides you a good cushion to your tender bones on your back or knees when they are lying down on the hard floor.
Where should you use your exercise mat?
It is advisable to use your best home exercise mat on the carpet, concrete or tile in your room at the home. If your room does not have a carpeted floor, then you must not use it as it can damage your mat. You can take it outside maybe in the park where grasses can give you an extra cushion to your back.
fAlso, doing exercise is more beneficial as you will come under the influence of natural and fresh air and sunlight. It is to be noted that the floor you are using for the exercise mat for home, must be clean and free from germs or dust so that your mat becomes humanizing and user–friendly.
How to Use a Yoga Mat on the Carpet?
You’ll be using a workout mat for carpet to practice yoga in it’s either at a studio that has carpeting or perhaps at your home or hotel so you’ll really have a firm stable floor underneath the carpet so go ahead and grab your yoga mat and then just unroll it just as you would on any regular floor one of the things that’s different that you’ll find is rather than being on the wood floor as soon as you have a soft area underneath you’ll notice a yoga mat it’s a little cushier right no problem just make sure that you’re protecting your wrists and your feet and you’re feeling a solid stable connection to the ground underneath you the next thing really to take a look at is whether.
The best exercise mat for carpet is actually stable these carpets not so stable planted on the ground so you wouldn’t really want to jump forward or jump back you would want to do slow concentrated movements but if the carpets fixed to the ground then it’s permanently attached and you feel that it’s solid underneath you once you get used to the slightly more cushioning feeling underneath your hands and your feet you can test out your flexibility in your strength and actually jump forward and jump back into all the same motions so basically using a yoga mat on a carpet is just like using a yoga mat anywhere else so one exercise.
What you would do every day is a portion of the Sun Salutation chaturanga dandasana so you can take your hands around the front of the mat keep them about shoulder-width apart and just to give it a good test to figure out if you have a stable surface outline your chest forward over your hands and exhale lower yourself down give that a good test feel if it’s stable inhale straighten your arms once you can do this motion you might also try to run good and asana inhale upward-facing and exhale downward facing so basically using a yoga mat on carpets just like using a yoga mat anywhere else I’m Quito McGregor and this has been how to use a yoga mat on a carpet.
How to Prevent Slipping on a Yoga Mat?
And you’ll be able to uh nope you know open this and spray it and when this gets nice and wet it’s actually very very stable so then you won’t slip at all or if you’re you know some people don’t like these mats because they’re really thick I personally actually used to use these all the time when I was in India for long periods of study but then after coming to back to the west and practicing there have been a few new tools that have been developed so here’s another option that you can use you can actually get one of these thinner you know yogi toes towels that has little nubs on the back and it also prevents slipping either of them work really well.
the trick is you need to actually put something over your mat when you get really really sweaty you need a towel sort of thing to stop up a little bit of the sweat so you’re not slipping in your own sort of pool right on your yoga mat it’s important to actually find a nice solid surface to practice on so try not to you know worry about having an extra you know towel or an extra piece of tool an extra tool to carry around.
What you want to do is just make you know the choice of whether you want to cotton one or you know one of the more modern devices and get the best tool and you know you’ll be able to have a firm solid stable to practice on and keto McGregor and we’ve been taking a look at how to prevent slipping on a yoga mat.
When to Replace Your Yoga Mat?
And give it a good sniff and if you don’t like what you smell you can try washing it but sometimes after you practice for a long time it’s just time to get a brand new mat now we have this principle in the yoga practice called salchow which is cleanliness we want to take care of our space around us we want to take care of the environment we want to take care of the mats and the clothes and the products that we use.
So make sure when you’re choosing the next mat try to choose one that’ll last for a long time there won’t develop these little kind of holes and and things that that you know fall off every time you practice get a mat that will last you for a very long time provide stable cushion and support and remember to wash and clean your mat after every use don’t roll it up and forget about it remember that every time you practice you’re aligning yourself with that yogic value of socha of cleanliness each time that you practice one other thing.
That’s important to remember is that the mats don’t always smell when they’re not being used sometimes we need to get them really sweaty before that old stinky smell kicks in again so remember when you’re practicing to be conscious not just of your environment but all the tools you bring into the environment your mat your clothes everything I’m Tina McGregor and this has been how to take a look at when it’s time to replace your yoga mat.
How to clean a yoga mat?
When you clean your mat you want to make sure you’re not using any soap reason being soap is slippery so if you spray your mat down with soap you’re not going to be able to wipe everything off I’ll show you how to make a yoga mat cleaner with items that you already have it helped and you can use it as much as you want because it’s safe for the mat and of course it’s environmentally friendly we’ll start off with a spray bottle I filled it about 3/4 the way with water.
Next, I’ll pour in some distilled white vinegar so the solution I’m using is about three parts water to one part vinegar and finally we’ll finish off with my favorite essential oil which is tea tree if you don’t like the smell of tea tree oil you’ve supplemented with something else like mint or lavender or any other essential oil that you really love and don’t worry your mat won’t smell too much this is a very gentle wash I’ll put 10 drops of tea tree oil into my mixture give it a quick shake and you now have your yoga mat cleaner.
I just want to point out the reason we’re using these ingredients are threefold first of all vinegar is great for breaking down dirt and soil which is exactly what you want to accomplish when you leave your yoga practice secondly vinegar is gentle enough that it won’t break down the rubber or biodegrade it which is sometimes a concern with other yoga or rubber exercise mats cleaners finally the reason we’re using an essential oil like tea tree is that has antibacterial properties and hey who doesn’t want their Matt to be bacteria-free after sweating it up for an hour in class when you get back from yoga class unroll your mat and spray it down liberally with the solution give it a minute to set in and then just wipe off the liquid and that’s it your mat.
will dry quickly and then it’ll be nice and clean for you to use again now once in a while your mat deserves a bit more of a thorough clean so what you can do is unroll it in a bathtub spray it down with the same solution that we made and get it a sponge or a cloth and give it a really good scrub in the tub then plug the tub fill it about a fifth wave full with warm water and just let any of that dirt and debris melt out of the mat drain the water gag because it will look disgusting and then gently wring out your mat so that any of the excess water comes out and hang.
It to dry for 48 hours your mat and your practice well thank you very much you’ll have a nice and clean mat and that will for sure prolong its life if you follow these cleaning tips your mat will last you for a long long time if you liked the video give us a thumbs up if you have any cleaning questions or comment about what you’ve seen you can drop it in the box below you can also find us on Twitter at twitter.com/dspacestv well thanks for watching and we’ll see you next time.
I would personally prefer the Gorilla exercise mat as it not only gives you a fit body by doing yoga on it but also comes with the extra accessories which are needed when you are using any other common mat. An accessory like a towel is a piece of the necessary equipment to wipe away the moisture from your mat that comes from the sweat of your body.
The mats in the lists above will not only encourage you to do yoga and stay fit but will also make you lead a healthy life by building your concentration and making you mentally healthy also. You can buy any of these best yoga and exercise mats according to your choice, budget, and need.