Do you want a weed-free garden or are you looking for the best hedge shears?
If yes, you are in luck.
Using a pair of hedge shears will help you have a well-trimmed and beautiful garden all the time. Hedge shears help you to cut your garden flowers to your desired style.
But finding the best hedge shears can be very overwhelming. You don’t have to worry. Come along as we review the best hedge shears to give your garden a facelift.
Comparison of Top 10 Hedge Shears in 2020
The comparison table below is made to assist you to make a good choice. Carefully check the table to compare hedge shears to make an informed decision.
Table of Contents
- Reviews of 10 Best Hedge Shears in 2020
- 1. Tabor Tools Hedge Shears (B229A) – (Best lightweight hedge shears)
- 2. Tabor Tools Hedge Shears (B212A) – Best tabor tools hedge shears)
- 3. Fiskars 91696935J Telescoping Power-Lever Hedge Shears– (Best fiskars hedge shears)
- 4. Gilmour Basic Hedge Shear – (Best small hedge shears)
- 5. Okatsune Precision Hedge Shear –(Best garden shears for hedges)
- 6. Corona HS-3950 Extendable Hedge Shear – (Best corona hedge shears)
- 7. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears – (Best manual hedge shears)
- 8. ARS 28- to 41-1/2-Inch Hedge Shears HS-K900Z– (Best telescopic hedge shears )
- 9. Fiskars 9191 Power-Lever Hedge Shears – (Best hedge cutting shears)
- 10. Floral Guard Hedge Shears – (Best hedge shears lowes)
- Buying guide for the best hedge shears in 2020
- FAQs for Best Hedge Shears in 2020
- Final Verdict
Reviews of 10 Best Hedge Shears in 2020
1. Tabor Tools Hedge Shears (B229A) – (Best lightweight hedge shears)
The handles make this lightweight long handled hedge shears super easy to access difficult areas other shears couldn’t reach. The blades are sharp and have different curves that assist in cutting bigger branches. They make precision cuts. They are made of top quality steel. The blades are rust-free and lightweight.
The blades have a plastic sheath to protect this lightweight hedge shears and they are replaceable in case they go bad. The blades of this can be sticky once in a while after each cut but all in all, it is a useful pair of hedge shears. This is a pair of hedge shears made with safety and comfort in mind.
- Lightweight handles – The aluminum handles of the shears are lightweight and have perfect grips that do not snap out. The handles are comfortable and also durable
- Nice blade design – The blades of this best lightweight hedge shears are designed to make your tasks easier. The blades continue to perform well after each cut making it dependable and reliable
- Shock-guard bumper – No irritating vibrations with the shock-guard bumper feature which helps to reduce arm and shoulder fatigue thereby making gardening and landscaping fun.
- Protected blades – The blades are well protected by plastic sheaths that protect them from easily getting blunt
- Long-lasting sharpness – The blades of this super lightweight hedge shears stay sharp for a long time due to the powerful steel and blade treatment which ensures continuous cutting performance.
- Durable and sturdy blades
- Precision cuts
- Powerful sharp blades
- Ease of use and maintenance
- Blades can get sticky
2. Tabor Tools Hedge Shears (B212A) – Best tabor tools hedge shears)
These hedge shears are well suited for trimming bushes and branches of fruit trees. This tabor tools hedge shears comes with telescopic retractable handles for easy handling and effective performance.
The handles can also be extended to reach difficult areas. This makes it the ideal hedge shears for cutting tall branches on different garden trees. These tabor tools extendable hedge shears are well sharpened and come with wavy blades made with quality tempered steel. This allows for easy and perfect cuts.
The telescopic handles effectively increase the much-needed pressure on the blade to perform an excellent job with less effort. There is an adjuster bolt that can be used to reduce the pressure on the blade and also the gaps between the blades. The handles of this tabor tools b212 extendable hedge shears have rubber overlaps to make you feel comfortable.
- Sturdy handles – The sturdy telescopic handles make every task easy. It trims and shapes shrubs and plants very well. It makes it easy to access hard-to-reach areas of the shrubs or plants using the extendable handles.
- Sharp blades – The wavy blades are sharp enough to make them smooth and precise cut that you desire. Every cut makes your shrubs and plants look healthy. These powerful tabor tools aluminum professional hedge shears do a good job of manicuring your plants with less human labor
- Shock-absorbing bumpers – Vibration is reduced with the shock-absorbing bumpers that provide non-slip handle thereby reducing fatigue of the hands.
- Adjustable blade tension – It comes with an adjustable flower-sized bolt that can be used to reduce or increase blade tension so you can cut through any shrubs or plants no matter how thick
- Plastic sheath protection for blades – The blades have a plastic sheath for their protection. This tabor tools manual hedge shears reduces the risk of getting the blades damaged
- Blades sheath protection
- Precision cut
- Sturdy aluminum & wavy blades
- Comfortable handle grip
- User-friendly design
- Adjustable blades
- Difficult to cut some tree branches
3. Fiskars 91696935J Telescoping Power-Lever Hedge Shears– (Best fiskars hedge shears)
The handles give you a non-slip grip making you feel comfortable and have control over the handles. The steel blades deliver precision cut from one task to another.
These fiskars extendable hedge shears blades are super sharp to cut different types of grass, flowers, and bushes. The blades are rust-resistant making it very durable. It has shock-absorbing bumpers to withstand shock thereby reducing vibration and fatigue.
- Sharp blades – The blades are strong and sharp enough to cut and shape hedges and shrubs
- Double cutting power – These fiskars power lever extendable hedge shears technology gives you twice more cutting power to accomplish all garden and landscaping tasks with ease
- 10 inches blade – The blade is long enough to cut through difficult grass, bushes and flowers giving you a beautiful ambiance that would become the envy of many.
- Rust-resistant – The blades can serve you for a long time without rust. This fiskars power lever grass and hedge shears is a sign of its durability and dependability
- Shock-absorbing bumpers – The steel handles come with shock-absorbing bumpers to reduce vibration. The non-slip grips offer control on the handles
- Sharp & powerful blades
- Two times cutting power than pivot shears
- Steel blades
- Easy to use
- It can break if used to cut thicker grass and flowers
4. Gilmour Basic Hedge Shear – (Best small hedge shears)
Hedge out shrubs, bushes, and grass with ease with the all-purpose Gilmour Hedge Shear. The innovative design features a straight blade on the upper part while on the lower part, the blade is serrated.
The blades are well sharpened of this small hedge shears. The 8 inches coated blades are non-sticky which helps in no small ways to reduce hand fatigue. It is quite different from other hedge shears with wavy blades. The hedge shears are strong and powerful enough to cut down small and medium-sized branches with precision.
The other nice features of this best rated hedge shears include comfortable handle grips, shock-absorbing bumpers, and durable steel handles. The hedge shears are made with strength and power to make gardening and landscaping jobs stress-free giving you well-manicured gardens and landscapes.
It is not rust-free. So, it requires regular cleaning to prevent them from rust. Though these garden hedge shears are made in China, they have got nothing to do with the performance.
- 8-inch blades – The 8-inch non-sticky coated blades are ideal for giving your shrubs and plants clean cuts. This gilmour hedge shears is long enough to read difficult areas
- Comfortable grips – The steel handles give you comfortable grips each time you use the hedge shears.
- Shock-absorbing bumpers – The shock-absorbing bumpers help to reduce fatigue while working. Less fatigue means more efficient working hours
- Sharp blades – The blades are very sharp to cut through tough weeds, bushes, and plants.
- Innovative design – This garden pals hedge shears innovative design makes the shears do clean cuts using a straight upper blade and a serrated lower blade
- Easy to use
- Great quality
- Safe to use
- Made in China
- It has no adjustment
5. Okatsune Precision Hedge Shear –(Best garden shears for hedges)
The blades are made of solid steel usually used in making Japanese swords. This gives the blades a lot of sharpness and cutting power to deliver from cut to cut.
However, the blades of this garden shears for hedges are not rust-free. You have to clean the shears after each use and oil them properly to prevent rust. The handles give a comfortable grip to easily complete the task.
Another drawback is that this pair of hedge shears blades is not replaceable. This is the best Japanese hedge shears.
- Sturdy handles – The handles are very sturdy because this garden gear hedge and edge trimming shears are made from Japanese White Oak
- Comfortable grips – The handles have nice grips making them comfortable to use
- Sharp blades – The blades are pretty sharp helping to do a clean cut of difficult grass and foliage
- Long blades – The long blades make this davaon pro garden hedge shears easy to reach difficult areas on the grass or shrubs
- Powerful and sharp blades
- Easy to use and maintain
- High quality
- A little bit expensive
6. Corona HS-3950 Extendable Hedge Shear – (Best corona hedge shears)
The Corona HS-3950 Hedge Shears are well suited for the manicuring of your garden, lawn, and flowers. The extendable handles of this corona hedge shears are made of solid steel construction delivering only superior performance.
This corona professional hedge shears cutting power helps you to get the job done with less physical effort. The blades are straight and not serrated. The forged, high carbon steel provides precision cut. The carbon steel blades stand for strength and durability. This corona 10 in forged steel hedge shears is fitted with shock-reduction bumpers to reduce fatigue on the hands and shoulders.
The lightweight handles guarantee comfortable grips. The adjustable handle can extend between 13 to 20 inches to accommodate every cutting need. This is the corona dual link hedge shears.
- Steel handles – The hedge shears are made of high-carbon steel making them durable and reliable
- Shock-absorbing bumpers – This corona comfortgel hedge shears come with shock-absorbing bumpers to reduce strains on the hands and shoulders so you can handle any task with ease and less labor
- Comfortable grips – The lightweight handles guarantee you comfortable grips to give your shrubs and flowers a good cut
- Adjustable pivot bolt – The pivot bolt is strong and is used to adjust the blades for more tension allowing you have precision cut. The bolt is replaceable.
- Extendable handles – The handles have extendable feature of corona max forged hedge shears. You can extend the handles with just a twist. The extension of the handles allows you to maneuver through difficult and hard-to-reach areas.
- Easy to use
- Durable and strong handles
- Solid construction
- Sharp and extendable blades
- Pivot bolt can lose out sometimes
7. ARS HS-KR1000 Professional Hedge Shears – (Best manual hedge shears)
The blades of this manual hedge shears are made of high-carbon steel measuring 7-inch long. They are well treated to give you the best cut possible. The blades can be sharpened with a sharpening stone and they are replaceable.
The sturdy construction of this ars professional hedge shears makes it worth its price. The screws secure the blades effectively giving it strength and durability. There is the blades tension adjustment.
You can loosen or tighten the blades through the pivot bolt. The pivot bolt of this manual hedge clippers is replaceable too. The handles are ergonomically designed to give you comfort. The shock-absorbing bumpers do a good job by reducing strains on the hands and shoulders.
- Strong steel blades – The blades are made of steel material which makes them durable.
- Blade treatment – The blades are well treated to give you the excellent performance you want from a pair of stainless steel hedge shears. The treatment of the blades makes them very strong to withstand rigors
- Long-lasting sharpness – The blades come very sharp and remain sharp cut after cut. It has a pivot bolt for easy blade adjustments
- Comfortable grips – The handles can be handled comfortably due to its shock-absorbing bumper feature that helps to lessen arm vibration and fatigue.
- The professional result – You would expect a professional result from your best professional hedge shears. Professionally manicured jobs are what you get if you are a professional gardener or landscaper.
- Ergonomically designed
- Easy to use
- Replaceable blades
- The bumper has no cushion
8. ARS 28- to 41-1/2-Inch Hedge Shears HS-K900Z– (Best telescopic hedge shears )
This extra long telescopic hedge shears features adjustable handles ranging from 28 to 41 inches in length making it easy for you to reach high and deep areas with ease. The aluminum handles come with a push button to securely lock in the handles.
The blades are chrome-plated giving it more strength to make difficult cuts with less labor. The hedge shears blades are replaceable and rust-resistant. The handles are slightly curved to make the optimum cut. This telescopic hedge shears are a perfect tool for the manicuring of your shrubs, trees, and bushes.
- Telescopic handles – The telescopic handles can get to hard-to-reach shrubs and bushes making this telescoping hedge shears unnecessary to stoop low to have a cut.
- Chrome-plated blades – The blades are chrome-plated giving it a lot more power to do a perfect job cut after cut.
- Adjustable blades – The blades are adjustable to a length of between 28 to 41 inches making it easy to use.
- Aluminum handles – The handles are made of aluminum material with a push button that assists in locking the handles in place.
- Slightly curved blades – This ars telescopic hedge shears blades are slightly curved for increased performance.
- Replaceable blades
- Easy to use
- Superior sharp blades
- No shock-absorbing bumpers
9. Fiskars 9191 Power-Lever Hedge Shears – (Best hedge cutting shears)
Trimming and shaping of shrubs, hedges and bushes are 2X easier with the Fiskars 9191 Hedge Shears. These fiskars powergear 2 hedge shears mechanism has a 4-point pivot that automatically helps to multiply the shears trimming strength.
This invariably means you would achieve more with less energy. It has 8-inch cutting blades that are as sharp as a razor to give you a perfectly manicured garden.
The blades of this hedge cutting shears are not straight but serrated. The serrated blades mean more cutting power and effective performance. The blades are durable since they are made of steel and coated with chrome. This fiskars telescoping power lever hedge shears helps to prevent the hedge shears from oxidation.
The blades come well-sharpened straight from the factory. The handles are very comfortable. They come with a cushioned hand grip. The cushioned hand grip is a good feature that helps to reduce fatigue. It also has shock-absorbing bumpers that minimize arm vibration. The best hand held hedge shears come in black handle alongside an orange trim making it aesthetically beautiful. This is an impressive tool for gardeners and landscapers. This is the best hedge trimming shears.
- 2X cutting power – The power-lever mechanism enhances cutting power by making it twice easier
- 8-inch steel blades – The 8-inch serrated steel blades of this fiskars 23 inch hedge shears effectively grip branches and deliver clean cuts
- Self-sharpening blades – The hardened steel blades are self-sharpening during every use and also resists corrosion
- Durable steel handles – The handles are made of durable steel guaranteeing durability and reliability
- Shock-absorbing bumper – Arm and shoulder fatigue is reduced with shock-absorbing bumper. It also helps to reduce hand vibration
- Makes work 2x easier
- Comfortable grip
- Sharp steel blades
- Less fatigue
- The pins that keep the blades together can occasionally snap out.
10. Floral Guard Hedge Shears – (Best hedge shears lowes)
This is the ideal tool for the trimming and shaping of your grass, shrubs, plants, and bushes. This hedge shears lowes has extendable handles to ensure you can reach the hardest areas and make the cuts with ease.
The telescopic handles have comfortable non-slip grips for easy handling of the shears. The handle extendable mode reaches 34.6 inches. The carbon steel wavy blades make the precision cut.
The sharpened blades of this hedge shears lowe’s make the hedge to operate smoothly. It has a shock-absorbing bumper feature to help reduce vibration when in use. This is a dependable tool that would effectively help you to produce outstanding work.
- Extendable handles – The handles are extendable reaching 34.6 inches when extended and 26.4 inches regular length
- Sharp wavy blades – The carbon steel wavy blades of this floral guard hedge shears deliver precision cut from one task to another
- Shock-absorbing bumper – There is less arm and shoulder fatigue with the shock-absorbing bumpers. It also reduces arm vibration
- Well treated blades – The treated blades ensure the blades are not fractured or bent when in use. It also makes the blades shaper
- High-carbon steel – The hardened SK-5 Japanese steel makes the hedge shears sharp and durable
- Comfortable non-slip handle grips
- Treated blades
- Hardened blade heat treatment
- The handles are not sturdy
Buying guide for the best hedge shears in 2020
A pair of hedge shears are an important tool for landscapers and gardeners. The toolbox is never complete without the hedge shears. Hedge shears can be used to prune and maintain hedges, shrubs, and gardens. That makes a pair hedge shears a great companion even for homeowners. Getting the right hedge shears can be difficult if you are not armed with the proper information.
Before buying a pair of hedge spears, their many factors you must consider. This guide will help you to make a good purchase. Below is the hedge shears buying guide.
Hedging power –
This is the most important consideration when purchasing power hedge shears. This is about how the hedge shears can cut through foliage and shrubs with less human effort as like as top rated backpack sprayers. It is also about the cutting power on stems and vegetation. This boils down to two things – the quality of the hedge shears and the sharpness of the blades. It is also about how long the handles are. The handles must be long enough to reach difficult and tough areas. The blade size must also be considered. Bigger blades mean you can cover large areas and finish up in good time.
Build construction is another important factor that must be considered before getting the hedge shears. You don’t want to waste money by buying a hedge shears sharpening tool every time. You want an item that would stand the test of time. You would want a pair of hedge shears that would continue to perform from cut to cut. Choose a metal constructed shears over the ones made of plastic material. Metal is long-lasting. So, durability cannot be compromised.
Price is an important factor. You would want durable hedge shears that are cost-effective. Everything now depends on the features you are looking for in the hedge shears. The more the features, the higher the price. The price you settle for is a function of features.
Ease of use –
Using too much human efforts to cut through foliage and shrubs will eventually ache your arms and shoulders. This hedge pruning shears is why ease of use is a useful factor. Blades without an extendable feature handles without the shock-absorbing bumper and comfortable grips, blades without increased pressure are inadequacies that could make a simple task very difficult. Therefore, it is important to consider a pair of hedge shears that deliver easily without too much labor.
Weight and size –
The weight and size of the hedge shears is a key consideration. You have to look for something lightweight. Heavy hedge shears are burdensome and can cause you arm and shoulder fatigue but a light pair of hedge shears with telescopic handles can deliver with amazing performance. Steel and wood handles tend to be heavier compared to aluminum handles. Box hedge pruning shears that reduce fatigue should be considered before purchasing the hedge spears.
Availability of spare parts –
You cannot overlook this factor. You would want a pair of hedge shears that have readily available parts for replacement. The blades could get broken. Getting a blade or pivot bolt replacement is more cost-effective than buying new shears.
FAQs for Best Hedge Shears in 2020
How to use hedge shears?
There may be times you feel like cutting or pruning your flowers, grass or shrubs yourself. It can feel awkward when you want to use the hedge shears for the first time. Not to worry, this guide will help you to cut your bush effectively. Below is the guide on how to use the hedge shears.
- Before you start, ensure that the hedge shears are clean and in good working condition.
- Place the hedge shears on the plant and start cutting using a scissors-like cutting style.
- Start by cutting small sections at a time to avoid have a big cut that would make the plant go out of shape.
- After the cutting, ensure that the hedge shears are well cleaned to avoid rust or corrosion.
- Clean them with vinegar.
How to clean hedge shears?
A pair of hedge shears is a must-have tool for keeping trees, hedges, and shrubs healthy and beautiful. The hedge shears need a thorough cleaning after each use. Cleaning the blades keep the hedge shears in shape and prevents them from rust. Here is a step-by-step approach to cleaning the hedge shears.
- Rinse the hedge shears perfectly with water to remove soil
- Use a strong brush to scrape leaves, debris and other particles from the blades. Avoid using sandpaper
- Wear a protective shirt and a pair of gloves. Dip a rag in a solvent and use it to wipe the blades.
- Dry the blades using a soft cloth. Make a mixture of bleach and water in a small amount and rub the mixture on the blades. Leave the mixture to stay for 2 minutes.
- Wipe the blades dry with a cloth.
How to sharpen hedge shears?
Sharpening the hedge shears is something that should be done periodically in case the blades get blunt. These are steps to sharpening your hedge shears
- Check the pivot bolt - The very first thing is to check the pivot bolt that connects the blades. If the seized alternator pivot bolt is loosened, ensure that it is well tightened. Use a box socket wrench to tighten them perfectly if a spanner cannot do it well.
- Look for curves or bends on the blades - Carefully look at the blade to be sure they are straight. If you see any bends or curves, it means you would have to loosen the pivot bolt and separate the blades. Wear a pair of thick leather gloves and use a vise grip to make sure the blades are well straightened up.
- Clean the blades - Next, it is to thoroughly clean the blades and shears. Clean off dirt, leaves, debris, and dust on the blades.
- Use a mill file to sharpen the blades - Before using the mill file, ensure you use the safety goggles. Identify the cutting areas on the blades. Sharpen the blades one at a time. Fix one blade on the vise grip, now, move mill file over the blade. Move the mill file in one direction. Do the same for the other blade.
- Use oil on the blades - After sharpening the blades and ensuring they are sharp, it is time to oil the blades. After fixing the blades, use light oil over the blades and use a clean cloth to rub back and forth on the blades. This is to ensure the blades are protected from rust and corrosion.
Watch this short video below to better understand how to use hedge shears?
Complete Guide On Cleaning And Sharpen Okatsune Shears:
How hedge clippers use can help bud growth?
A pair of hedge shears is a useful tool for gardeners and landscapers. It is also a must-have for homeowners who have backyard gardens. What are the best hedge shears? If you are looking for nice hedge shears that are not expensive but can get the job done, we recommend the Tabor Tools Hedge Shears. But if you are looking for something more robust and beyond the ordinary, we would recommend Okatsune Precision Hedge Shear if you don’t mind the cost. This is the best Japanese garden shears.