Are you looking for a heater to heat your home during winter?
Do you want something that consumes less energy and reduce your bills?
If yes, there is no doubt what you need is a baseboard heater.
Winter is an ideal time to feel some warmth. This is when baseboard heaters are needed most. Heating your room can be cost-effective with baseboard heaters. You don’t have to construct a central heating system that costs a fortune. Baseboard heaters help you to have a heating system on a room by room basis. They are usually placed under the window for top performance.
Comparison of 10 Best Baseboard Heaters in 2020
The comparison table below is made to assist you to make a good choice. Carefully check the table to compare baseboard heaters to make a good decision.
Table of Contents
- Reviews of 10 Best Baseboard Heaters for 2020
- 1. King 6K1215BW K Series Baseboard Heater –
- 2. Cadet Hardwire Electric Baseboard Heater – (Best Electric Baseboard Heater)
- 3. Fahrenheat PFL1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater –
- 4. Cadet White Baseboard Electric Heater –
- 5. Fahrenheat PLF1504 Baseboard Heater –
- 6. Cadet 09954 White Electric Baseboard Heater –
- 7. Fahrenheat 2004DOWBA PLF2004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater –
- 8. Fahrenheit FHP1500TA Portable Electric Hydronic Heater – (Best Portable Baseboard Heater)
- 9. Optimus H-3603 Baseboard Convection Heater – (Best Plug In Baseboard Heater)
- 10. Cadet 9800665 2F350W Electric Baseboard Heater –
- Thinks to Know Before Choosing The Best Baseboard Heaters in 2020
- FAQs on Best Baseboard Heaters in 2020
Reviews of 10 Best Baseboard Heaters for 2020
If you are looking for the best baseboard heaters, our job is to help you make a good choice. Read on as we do a complete review of the 10 best baseboard heaters.
Enjoy consistent warmth throughout your room with the King Baseboard Heater. Made of solid steel construction; the heater delivers top performance without noise. It is built with ease of installation in mind making it most ideal for your bedroom and living room. It comes with no built-in thermostat. The thermostat is sold separately and can be hardwired using any of the ends for its installation. Its advanced heat transfer technology builds up gradually and saturates the room in less time even at a lower setting. It has a high-temperature limit level that shutdown the heater to prevent overheating making it safe for family use.
- Steel construction – The unit is made of steel construction making it rugged and durable
- Built for safety – The heater is built with safety in mind since it can automatically shut off in case of overheating. This is made possible by the unique SureStop feature.
- Ease of installation – It is designed for ease of installation and maintenance making it a cost-effective option for new homes and rental apartments. The unit can be hardwired on any of the two ends.
- Crush-proof element – With the advanced crush-proof, the heating element provides you with maximum heating comfort and performance.
- Dent-resistant cover – The unit has a dent-resistant cover to protect the heater from dents to serve you for a longer period.
- Quiet operation
- Easy installation and maintenance
- Maximum heating comfort
- Safe and easy to use
- The thermostat is sold separately.
2. Cadet Hardwire Electric Baseboard Heater – (Best Electric Baseboard Heater)
Mitigate the effect of the winter cold in your home with the Cadet 05534 Electric Baseboard Heater. This best electric baseboard heater is a quality zone heater that regulates the temperature in your bedroom, living room and bathroom. The heater makes use of 120 volts energy. This model is also available in 240 and 208 volts. It has 1,000 wattages with 8.33 amps. The electric baseboard heater measures 12 inches. The heater requires a thermostat for optimum comfort. The thermostat needs to be hardwired for effective temperature control. The unit has a heavy-duty extension cord. The powder-coat finish prevents the unit from scratches. It can be mounted on the wall or placed on the floor for effective performance. This is a durable heating unit with all-metal construction. It features a 20 gauge junction box making installation super easy. It weighs 8 pounds making it a bit heavy. Using the Cadet 05534 means winter has got no chance of making you and your family feel uncomfortable.
- 25 gauge steel – The unit is made of gauge steel making it durable.
- Powder-coated finish – The heater is all steel construction with a powder-coated finish to prevent scratches.
- Available in three volts – The unit is available in 120, 240 and 208 volts.
- Requires thermostat – This baseboard heater requires a thermostat which is sold separately for effective temperature control
- No plug-in – This unit is not a plug-in model. It requires hardwiring
- Safe to use
- Easy to maintain
- It is cost-effective
- It is energy-saving
- It operates quietly
- No thermostat
Feel comfortably warm during winter with Fahrenheat Heater. This is an effective baseboard heater for smaller rooms. The heater is made of metal construction meaning it cannot get frozen during winter.
This heater is not entirely quiet as it makes some noise. If you can forgo the noise for comfort, this is a nice baseboard heater for you. It is user-friendly making it ideal for kids and pets to stay around the unit.
One great feature of this unit is the ability to prevent overheating with the thermal cutoff function. The heater has a low profile design making it suitable for the bedroom, bathroom, and guestroom.
This hydronic baseboard heating is superb. It is safe to use it on the floor, tiles or carpet. Fahrenheat is a well-respected company when it comes to producing the best hydronic baseboard heaters.
- Hydronic design – The hydronic design makes the unit comfortable around children and pets.
- Fanless operation – Keep dust and debris off your home with the unit’s fanless operation. Since it has no exhaust fan, dust won’t be circulating in your home.
- Worry-free operation – There are no worries with this unit since it prevents overheating. There is a cutoff when the airway is blocked thereby reducing risk.
- Energy-efficient – The unit is 100% energy-efficient. It helps you to conserve energy thereby saving you money.
- Comfortable heat – The unit can distribute heat evenly even when it is set to the lowest point.
- Durable heating solution
- Easy to use
- Automatic cutoff system
- 4 Easy to install
- Even heat distribution
- It comes with no thermostat. The thermostat has to be bought separately.
- It is slightly noisy.
Stay warm and safe with the Cadet Baseboard Heater. This most efficient electric heater is made of metal and powder coated. This heater is 240 volts and has 1500 watts. The unit requires thermostat since it has no built-in thermostat. The thermostat has to be hardwired and not plugged in. The heater is well suited for a medium-sized living room and the bedroom. This is a good heating system with no noise. It is functional and powerful enough to warm up the room in no time even at a much lower setting. The unit is easy to install with panels on each end which are well held with screws. Baseboard heating cost is minimized with this heater.
- Durable – The unit is made of high-quality materials. It is made of steel and it has been powder coated to last long
- Effective heating – The heater provides effective continuous heating even when used at the lowest setting
- Energy-saving – You would save a lot of energy and money when you install the baseboard heater in your home. The cost reduction would be noticed in your electricity bills
- Easy to install – The heater is very easy to install with hookups on both sides of the unit
- Efficient operation – The unit radiates heat effectively in the room keeping you warm and comfortable all the time
- Reliable and dependable
- Convenient installation
- Easy to use and maintain
- Quiet operations
- No built-in thermostat
Get the soothing warmth and comfort you deserve during the winter with the PLF1504 Heater. The heater is well treated with a heat transfer liquid that helps the heater to spread heat evenly and quickly too. It is equipped with a cutoff function that prevents overheating making it safe to use. This is a hydronic heater with steady heating power. It is safe to operate it on the floor, carpet or tiles. This heater is ultra-quiet but has to be hardwired with a thermostat. The unit has no built-in thermostat.
- Convenient – The unit is convenient to use with a thermostat. You don’t have to bother waking up to turn it on or off. The thermostat does its job creditably.
- 100% energy-efficient – The heater is energy-efficient. It will save you energy and money in the long run
- Prevents overheating – It is safe and efficient to use as it comes with an overheat protection feature that helps to reduce risk
- Requires thermostat – The unit requires thermostat installation along with the heater installation.
- No plug-in – The unit cannot be plugged into a socket. It has to be hardwired.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Smooth and comfortable
- No thermostat
This is a noiseless baseboard heater for your optimum comfort. This hardwired unit provides steady heat all the time with automatic shut-off in case of overheating making it very safe to use when pets and children are around. The design of the heater is modern and attractive with its cream finish. The thermostat is sold separately. Thermostat reduces the inconvenience of always rising to turn on or off the unit. The heater can be installed on the floor, carpet or tiles. This unit is consistent and reliable for heating your room to give you soothing warmth. It will greatly help you to reduce costs on energy. The heater is treated with heat transfer liquid to improve its heating performance.
- 1000 watts, 120 volts – This model consists of 1,000 watts and 120 volts installation to help you save energy and reduce electricity bills
- All steel construction – The unit’s construction is sturdy and made of steel. It is also powder-coated for long-lasting use.
- It requires a thermostat – A thermostat is required for hardwiring the heater to effectively control the room temperature.
- Cost-effective – The heater provides a cost-effective heating solution to keep you comfortable at less cost. It reduces energy cost and saves you money
- Safe to use – This is a user-friendly unit that is safe to use around pets and children
- Metal construction for durability
- Quiet operation
- Easy to install
- Long-lasting design
- It has no built-in thermostat
It is formulated with heating transfer liquid for effective heating temperature. It is easy to install either on the floor or tiles. It has a thermal cutoff feature that shutoff the functioning of the heater in case of overheating.
This unit has no built-in thermostat requiring you to purchase a separate thermostat that must be hardwired. It’s one of the best baseboard heaters for large rooms.
- Thermal cutoff feature – Overheating is well prevented with the thermal cutoff feature that ensures the heater cuts off when the unit is overheated. This is a great safety feature.
- Unique heat transfer technology – The heating element is uniquely designed to transfer heat through the liquid heat transfer technology.
- Contemporary styling – Its clean and contemporary off-white design makes it attractive to complement your home décor
- Suitable for different floor types – The unit is UL approved for installation on the floor or tiles.
- Virtually noiseless – The heater is virtually noiseless meaning the noise is not disruptive.
- Strong build
- Safe to operate
- Easy to install
- Efficient heating temperature
- Prevents overheating
- The unit has no built-in thermostat.
8. Fahrenheit FHP1500TA Portable Electric Hydronic Heater – (Best Portable Baseboard Heater)
Enjoy long-lasting comfort during any cold night with Fahrenheat FHP1500PTA Heater. This best portable baseboard heater is useful in the bedroom, living room and bathroom. The unit has no thermostat but comes with a knob to easily control the room temperature. This makes it a plug-in heater. You will have to do a hardwiring if you desire to install the unit with a separately-sold thermostat. For safety purposes, the heater has a cutoff switch that helps to prevent overheating making it safe to use when children and pets are around. This is a portable 120 volts baseboard heater that uses liquid-element technology to bring warmth and comfort to your room. At a lower temperature setting, you are still guaranteed quicker heat circulation with noiseless operation.
- Instant heating – You don’t have to wait. The 120 volts plug makes it suitable for instant use. Plug-in to start feeling the heat immediately
- Automatic cutoff switch – In the event of overheating, the heater automatically shuts off and it gets reactivated after some time. This is an ideal safety measure.
- Liquid-element technology – The heater can produce enough heat waves to saturate the room using liquid-element technology.
- Hydronic design – The heater’s hydronic design makes it suitable for children and pets making it a safe and worry-free environment.
- No exhaust fan – The heater has a fanless operation. This makes the heater to run quietly without blowing around particles such as dust and debris.
- Quiet operation
- Easy installation
- 100% energy-efficient
- Hydronic design
- No thermostat
9. Optimus H-3603 Baseboard Convection Heater – (Best Plug In Baseboard Heater)
The Optimus H-3603 Baseboard Heater is a convection heater. It comes with a thermostat and digital display. The timer can be set to turn off the heater automatically. The thermostat is easy to program. The timer setting is between 1 to 12 hours. You can either choose to run the heater at 750 watts or 1,500 watts. The temperature setting is between 35-95 degrees Fahrenheit. There have been a few complaints about the thermostat becoming defecting after sometimes. Apart from this, this is a quiet heating solution suitable for your home. There are three position settings which include “off”, “low” or “hi”. The power indicator displays the temperature at every point in time. The heater has an internal heat-limit thermostat that helps to prevent overheating making it very safe to use. The power cord is 5 ft 6 inches. The heater has a metal top that is always hot while the rest of it is cool. This best plugin baseboard heater is a 120 volts plug-in baseboard heater. It is a suitable electronic heating element that warms up the room very quickly even in a lower setting. This is a nice option for your bathroom or bedroom.
- 2-heat settings – The baseboard heater has 2-heat settings of 750 or 1,500 watts. It is a matter of choosing a setting you are comfortable with.
- Thermostat control – The unit comes with automatic thermostat control. This makes it easy to control the room temperature
- Internal heat-limiting thermostat – There is an internal thermostat to limit heat. This feature helps to prevent overheating. There is also a tip-over safety switch to guarantee the user’s safety
- Strong build – The heater is made with a heavy gauge sheet metal cabinet for durability.
- Built-in carry handle – The unit is easy to carry from one point to the other since the heater is fitted with a built-in carrying handle for easy movement
- It comes with a thermostat
- It prevents overheating
- Easy to carry with carrying handle
- Power indicator light.
- Easy to install. Just plug in the power cord.
- The thermostat may become defective
The Cadet 2F350W is a low-cost installation baseboard heater suitable for your rooms. This model cannot be plugged-in. It requires a hardwiring with a thermostat. The unit doesn’t come with a thermostat. It has to be purchased separately. 350 watts go with 240 volts while 262 watts works at 208 volts. The heater has a thermal safety feature to prevent overheating. Its design is made to last for a long time. It comes with a powder-coated finish to withstand scratches.
- Hardwired – The unit has to be hardwired with a thermostat. This is not a plug-in model
- Automatically shut off – It has an automatic shutoff safety feature to prevent overheating
- Convection heating – The convection heating helps to effectively circulate air widely up to 50 feet
- Quiet operation – The unit operates quietly causing no disruptions to your sleep and relaxation since it is fanless
- Scratch-resistant – The heater is made with powder coating finish to resist scratches and corrosion.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Long-lasting design
- Safe to use
- No thermostat.
Thinks to Know Before Choosing The Best Baseboard Heaters in 2020
There are standalone and integrated heaters. These are things you must consider before buying a baseboard heater.
- Standalone – The standalone heater has no fixed installation point. It can be moved from one room to another. They are available in both hydronic and electric. They are usually lightweight making it easy to move around. Standalone usually comes with a cord alongside a plug and plugged into a 120-volt socket.
- Integrated – The integrated heater heats the room through hot water that flows from a central heating system. When it comes to installation, it is more advanced than the standalone heater. It involves running pipes around the building. It also involves lifting the carpets. There must be electricity too since this type of heater is hardwired to the electricity supply.
Apart from the above considerations, these are the other buying guide for baseboard heaters.
1. Space size –
Before buying a baseboard heater, you must consider the size of the space where you want to use the heater. A baseboard heater that is suited for a small room won’t be ideal for a large room.
2. Energy efficiency –
The reason for buying a baseboard heater is to feel comfortable during the winter period and also reduce your energy cost. This is why an energy-efficient heater must be of higher priority. You don’t want a baseboard heater that drains your pockets in the name of electricity bills.
3. Safety –
Is the baseboard heater safe to use? This is the first question you must ask before buying a baseboard heater. Baseboard heaters get hot easily and can lead to injuries. Ensure that the heater has some safety features. Some of these features include automatic shutoff to prevent overheating.
4. Price –
This is a huge consideration. If you are on a budget, it makes sense to buy a baseboard heater that is within your budget without overlooking quality.
The above consideration is very important before you think of purchasing a baseboard heater.
Types of the baseboard heater
There are two types of baseboard heaters you can find in the market. They are electric and hydronic baseboard heaters. These two heaters are not installed the same way. In terms of installation, these two types of heater are seemed like below:
1. Electric baseboard heater –
Electric baseboard heaters are used to heat the home from one room to another. It is usually installed beneath the window and beside the wall. Electric baseboard heaters are very cost-effective when compared to a central heating system but not as effective as a central heating system. An electric baseboard heater heats the room by radiating out heat straight from the heater. It provides heating through electric resistance. The air is heated inside the unit. The heating is done through the cables. After then, the heated air is then pushed out. Hot air is pushed out just as cold air is received. An electric baseboard heater is usually installed with a thermostat but a few of them come with control knobs to keep the temperature in check. The unit is turned off automatically when the heat reaches a set temperature and reactivates itself again when the temperature goes lower using a thermostat
2. Hydronic baseboard heater –
This is a type of baseboard heater that distributes heat through a centralized heating system. There are sealed water or oil in the unit that turns to hot air when heated by the heater. The heating with a hydronic baseboard heater is faster than that of the electric baseboard heater. The liquid inside the heater remains heated for a longer time even after being turned.
FAQs on Best Baseboard Heaters in 2020
Before going further, it is important to understand a hydronic baseboard heater is.
What is a hydronic baseboard heater?
A hydronic heater is also known as the water heater is a type of baseboard heater that uses a heating element that warms the water or oil inside the heater which in turn heats the air around you. It costs more than a convection heater.
How to install a baseboard heater?
Baseboard heaters are normally installed close to the floor or below the window. Installing a heater is easy if you follow this guide.
- Find a suitable location – Finding the right location to install the heater is the first task.
- Find the breaker and do circuit wiring – Wiring a heater is just a matter of wiring the heater to a 20-amp circuit. All you have to do is to run a 12-2 metallic sheathed cable through the electrical service panel to the location where the breaker is located. This should be done by a technician
- Thermostat wiring – Wiring a baseboard heater to a separate thermostat means you have to install a length of circuit cable from the thermostat box direct to the heater. The thermostat wiring could be 120 volts or 240 volts. If it is 120 volts, it means the hot black wire from the breaker has to be connected to the line wire on the thermostat. For 240 volts, the two hot wires from the breaker will have to be connected to the two wires on the line side of the thermostat.
- Heater wiring – Next is for the circuit wires from the thermostat to be connected to the heater. This must be done according to the manufacturer’s diagram. For 240 volts, the hot circuit wires must connect to one of the wires of the heater. For 120 volts, the black hot circuit wire will be connected to one of the heater wires and the white neutral wire should connect to the other wire on the heater.
- Switch on - After that, turn on the heater to test the connection.
How to replace the baseboard heater?
The baseboard heater is easy to replace in case it got spoilt. This is how to go about replacing a heater
- Turn off power to the heater from the circuit. If you are not sure of which circuit controls the heater, it is safe to turn off the circuits one after the other
- Remove the spoilt or damaged heater from the wall. Use a screwdriver to loosen it. The screws may be on either of the ends
- Remove the old heater by pulling it off from the wall.
- Set the new heater and wire it back
- Turn it on to be sure it is functioning.
How to paint baseboard heaters?
Baseboard heaters may become rusty over time. A rusty baseboard heater can be an eyesore. You can decide to paint your baseboard heater along with the wall. Painting a baseboard heater can be a bit tedious because of the preparation which requires the cleaning of the heater to remove the rust and dirt since most heaters are made of metal. Follow this procedure to paint your baseboard heater.
- First, disconnect the heater from the power source. Ensure that you pull off the plug from the socket.
- Pull off the caps that secure the cover of the heater. Then, pull out the cover.
- Remove the rust on the surface of the heater. Use sandpaper to thoroughly clean the surface. Clean the grease on the surface with a clean cloth after scraping the surface with sandpaper.
- Apply primer paint to the area
- Then, apply the paint. Allow the paint to dry. You can either use an oil-based paint or latex paint.
How to install a Cadet electric baseboard heater?Video Transcript:
How to remove the baseboard heater?
Removing a baseboard heater is not something that is difficult but requires you to be careful to avoid electrocution. Below is a proven way to remove the baseboard heater.
- Go to the main circuit breaker and locate the circuit the heater is connected to. Push the switch to turn off the heater
- Locate the junction box for the heater. This is where the hardwiring is done. It is either hardwired to the right or the left. Remove the junction box cover
- Ensure you use a voltmeter or a tester to test the terminals to be sure there is no electricity supply to the heater. If there is current in it, try to locate the right circuit and turn it off. Don’t touch the terminals until you are certain the circuit is turned off
- Remove the screws from the terminal with a screwdriver and gently pull off the wires
- Check the bottom of the baseboard heater. Ensure that the heater is cool before doing this. There are screws there. So, remove the screws
- Then, insert a knife between the wall and the heater from one end to the other. This ensures that any paint holding it in place is broken
- Remove the heater gently
You may watch this video on Baseboard Heater Removal in first hand:Video Transcript:
How to upgrade from a baseboard to a wall heater?Video Transcript:
Baseboard heaters are highly recommended during winter. They are a cost-effective way to be warm and comfortable during the winter cold. If you are looking for an effective heater, we would recommend Fahrenheat PFL1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater. It is a nice heater when it comes to saving energy costs. We also recommend Optimus H-3603 Baseboard Convection Heater since it comes with a thermostat. Any of these heaters will serve you effectively and efficiently.