Have a little furry friend at home?
Or are you looking to get one?
Whatever may be your reason, you will need a rat cage where your little friend will be safe and warm.
Rat cages obviously come in different shapes and sizes. There are different models that are available both online and in the physical markets. Which one you choose depends on the number of pet rats who will be inhabiting that cage.
Latest Top-rated Rat Cages in 2021
But, do you feel lost with all the options there are in the market? There’s no reason to be when we are here. We will guide you all along the way so that you know which features to look for in an ideal rat cage. So let’s begin with the important factors to consider:
Best Rat Cages Buying Guide for 2021
Materials of Rat Cages
Rat cages are generally constructed out of two materials- metal and plastic.
It’s obvious that a cage made out of metal will be more durable than the one made out of plastic. But it should also be stated that the cages which are made up of plastic are relatively strong too.
The plastic used isn’t low quality at all. After all, even with a plastic rat cage, you will be shelling out quite a bit of sum. But there are other factors which you should also keep in mind. Namely, know that plastic cages can be ultimately broken by your persistent little friend, especially if it and its friends are hell-bent on escaping.
Moreover, with regular use, this plastic can get dull in color and begin to fade away. Leaving you with an old and distinctly unappealing-looking cage. Not to mention, regular cleaning will surely make the plastic erode away over time.
So if you want to make an investment for your little furry friend then go for a metal wire cage. But make sure that those metal cages are coated with PVC or otherwise it won’t last long. These cages are costly but they will last for a long time without rusting, fading, eroding or providing an easy escape for the animal within.
The Base of Rat Cages
While buying a rat cage, many pet rat owners tend to focus on the walls of a cage and whether the small wire cage is strong and durable or not. But they forget to think about the floor of the cage.
When you go out to buy an amazon rat cage, you will get cages that have a wire base and those that have a solid base. Go for those which have a solid base.
It’s obvious that a wire base will be easy for you to clean since the droppings will just fall through. But a wire base will be harmful to the feet of your pet. It will end up deforming its feet after regular use. On the other hand, a solid base will be difficult to clean but your rats will be able to run and sleep on it without fear of injuries.
Space of Rat Cages
You will obviously want your pet rat to be comfortable inside its cage.
For that, there needs to be ample space inside. Your little guy should be able to sleep in and play around in it with ease. The animal shouldn’t feel cramped in.
After all, it will be living the majority of its life in there. Know that the larger space, the more comfortable your pet rat will be. But if you are new to being a pet parent then know that there needs to be a minimum space of 2 cubic feet of space per rat. Along with this, make sure that the wire spacing isn’t more than 1-inch by 2-inch spaces for adults. For babies, it should be smaller.
This space shouldn’t just be in terms of length and breadth, the pet rat cage spacing should have enough height so that your rats can play in peace. Ideally, a rat cage should have three accessible levels in it. If not aim to get at least one that has two levels. Your pet must be able to climb easily to these levels through ramps, tubes, stairs, etc.
Overall, having more space means that your pet can exercise more and keep themselves busy. A larger cage with multiple levels is also ideal if you have multiple rats. This will ensure that all of them can live companionably without fighting for sleeping and playing space.
Doors of Rat Cages
A rat cage should come with at least two wire doors. Don’t get solid doors as it will simply block the cage from getting proper ventilation.
Also, double doors will help you clean the amazon mouse cage from both sides and you will be able to get into the nook and crannies of the cage.
While buying, make sure that the cage has a proper lock mechanism that actually works. You will certainly not want your rats to escape out or harm themselves while trying to escape in any way. Apart from locks, look carefully to ensure that the doors don’t have a gap in between so that the rats can escape in any way.
If you are getting cheap rat cage ideas that have multiple levels separated by shelves or ramps, there must be doors on the upper portion of the cage so that those ramps and shelves are easy to clean too.
Design of Rat Cages
This completely depends upon your preference. For example, there is some dog cage for a small pet that can be constructed and deconstructed easily.
These will be useful to you if you have to travel a lot. Apart from this, there are other factors like ramps, tunnels, shelves, and such to consider. These toys and decorations will ensure that your rat is kept occupied. Know that there are rat cages that come with wheels as well.
So you will be able to take your pet out to get some fresh air or roll them to other rooms. Moreover, while choosing the design of the cage, keep in mind that each and every part of it should be easily accessible by the rat.
10 Top-rated Rat Cages in 2021
Not only rats but also other small animals also have the right to live in a beautiful house equipped with toys and playing areas. So, we have found some deluxe cages for the small pets, which they would definitely adore to live in with their happy family.
So, grab a look!
1. Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation- (Best critter nation rat cage)
This Midwest cage is for those who are willing to get a spacious cage for their small pets.
This double door rat cage works as an ideal habitat for many small pets, be it a rat, sugar gliders, hedgehogs, and many more. It comes with lots of space that is easy to clean and has been specially designed to keep the pets clean and healthy.
This critter nation rat cage includes one ramp and its cover, an adjustable shelf, and a maneuverable stand with wheel casters. These wheel casters come with a locking technology, which restricts the structure from going here and there.
However, when it comes to the cage, the wire spacing is thin enough that your pet won’t be able to come out in any chance. In fact, they would be able to climb up and explore the environment.
Inside this critter nation rat cage single is the ramp cover, which acts as a soft pathway for your pet to go to the top and slide back without hurting their feet. Thus, all the specifications add to the idyllic structure of this rat cage.
- Adjustable: The shelves are easy to adjust.
- Ramp Covers: Their feet can now be well protected by the ramp covers.
- Easy to Clean: The double doors provide complete access to clean the base easily.
- Warranty: This double door rat cage comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Wheel Casters: They come with a locking technology that holds the entire structure in one position.
I LOVE IT!! My bunnies love thier new cage. I was really worried about this coming damaged since a lot of reviews said theirs was , but not a single bar was bent. Also this was actually really easy to assemble, im 17 and i did it by myself and it took less than an hour. I would recommend this cage to anyone. (I actually have already! My friend is now considering upgrading to this cage.)
2. Prevue Rat and Chinchilla Cage- (Best pet rat habitat)
This rat cage by Prevue comes with thin wirings and metal ramps, which makes it easy for the small pets to climb up or play in the entire cage.
There is an availability of the tray below, which is comfortable to remove and clean. You can even add some toys for the furry pets over the tray as this pet rat habitat is quite spacious. But how to remove the tray?
There is a large door where you can have complete access to your pets and easily detach and remove the grille and tray for cleaning purposes in these pet rat habitat cages front.
However, due to some cases, if the grille is not installed back into the cage, the pets will not be able to push out the tray due to the presence of the wind-bell lock.
- Ideal For: This super pet rat habitat is ideal for both small pets and their babies.
- Durability: The ramp and tray construction is done with top-notch material to let the rat cage work for years.
- Accessibility: Accessibility to the pets is possible through the large front door.
- Spacious: It is spacious enough to install toys and swings for pets over the shelf.
- Wind-Bell Lock: This technology restricts the pets from absconding from this super pet rat habitat.
I love the look of this cage, easy to put together. Easy to roll from space to space. It took us about an hour to put together in total. Our little Hamster loves his new space, freedom and lots of room to roam. A beautiful cage for us to view as well. Thank you so much. 5 Stars all the way. I stand by this choice in a small pet cage. Much appreciated.
3. You & Me Rat Manor Habitat- (Best rat manor cage)
If you don’t want your pets to feel lonely in a small cage, then we have got something for you.
Here we have come up with a rat cage that is quite big in height and has got some extra space for your small pets to wander around.
This rat manor cage comes with 3 ladders made of mesh wires where your rats can go up and down, jump and play around. The welded wire used to prepare the rat manor setup is washable, chew-proof, and stain-resistant, making this you and me rat manor cage ideal even for pets who mess around a lot.
A deep metal base is specially designed to avoid the scattering of the food and other stuff kept inside the manor by the naughty small animals. Well, in this black rat cage base, you can place some toys and swings for them too.
- Washable: The entire manor is washable.
- Ladders: This you and me rat cage comes with three ladders, increasing the manor’s height and creating and place for the rats to play around.
- Spacious: The cage is spacious enough for the rat’s habitat and toys.
It is difficult to put together (as stated by other users) but I wired the shelves in using an inexpensive wire from a hardware shop and haven’t had any problems with the shelves since putting it together. My adult degu loves his home & there his enough room for an exercise saucer, a hammock, and a “house” for him to hide in. There is so much room that now we are thinking of getting him a friend!For 56 dollars, you honestly can’t get a better/larger cage. My cage came in 2 days (standard shipping) and took me about 15 mins to assemble. The instructions are confusing, just use your logic. I also like how light everything is. I can pick up the cage with everything in you and me rat cage by myself and I am a 5’4″ 115lb girl. My ratties love running around in this spacious cage. I recommends only have 2 rats maximum though.
4. Little Friends Rat and Hamster Cage- (Best cage for rats)
If you are probing for a lovable and small cage for your rats and hamsters, then here we have got the best Little Friends cage that we personally found for you.
This little friends triple metal rat cage is a space-friendly cage, although it is available in different sizes, which you can place in any part of your house.
This cage for rats comes accompanied by a wooden shelf and ladder. Together, the shelves, ladder, and perfect finishing gives the product an eye-catching look and make them a picture-perfect home look for the little furry and friendly pets.
When you purchase the cage, you will get a hideaway house, a bowl for eating food, and 2 wheels for exercise accessories. In addition to this hamster and rat cage, you can add your personal pet toys for more engagement of your pets in playing and having fun together with the others.
- Wire Spacing: It comes with a narrow wire spacing that makes it perfect for pets such as rats with a flexible body.
- Accessories: The hamster cages are accompanied by different accessories, namely, home, bowl, and wheel.
- Size: In all, you will get a choice among three different sizes according to your need.
- Transportation & Storage: This hamster and rat cage is easy to collapse this hamster cage for transport and storage.
The cage arrived quickly and the only problem I had assembling it was a wooden platform falling out. I secured it with extra wires. Deep enough for thick layer of bedding and a bigger wheel. Not a huge space for many toys like Ikea ‘Detolf’ cases may offer. I have a dwarf hamster and this cage is a great upgrade for us. Wish I had more space to build a huge, fancy enclosure I saw on YouTube but right now I think it was a great purchase.
5. go2buy Rats Rabbit Ferret Cage- (Best large rat cage)
If you are willing to find something extraordinary in a cage that can steal your heart, we guess this go2buy cage can be done for sure.
We found this stylish rat cage unique, storage-friendly, and amusing for the pet with our personal experience.
But there is one point where we found the cage lacks, and it is space. These large rat cage doesn’t have enough room for the pets to roam around freely and quickly place the toys.
However, they can play with enjoyment up and down the ladder, and if you want some toys to be put on, you can hang them on the side.
While we talk about the cage inside, This rat ferret cage comes with ramps and tiers where the pets can climb and slide to reach the top and bottom. There is a separate door on each floor where there is a tier. This makes it easy to get accessibility to your pet.
- Safety: The doors come with a latch that keeps the door locked unless you open it.
- Accessories: This single rat cage comes equipped with shelves, a tray, ramps, a food box, and a water bottle.
- Easy to Carry: Casters make its portability possible.
- Assembling: This rat ferret cage comes with a manual, which makes assembling easy before use.
- Tray: It has a slide-out tray where all the mess created by the pets gets accumulated.
Very happy I decided to get this!!! Great price too!! My girls love it. They don’t know what to do with all the space. I was worried about the spacing at first on the bars bc my girls are smaller but the single rat cage was perfect fit. I had trouble with USPS delivery though. So if you can get a different carrier I would. But this was a great fit for three rats!
I had a little trouble putting it together at first so my suggestion is to put it together upside down. I know it’s weird but it actually made more sense to put it upside down and put it together. I’m a very happy rat mom.
6. ZENY small animal house- (Best small animal cage)
For those who want a perfect, small, and cozy cage for their pet’s family, this Zeny cage is the one that you will adore.
This small animal pet cage is specially designed for the pet species such as guinea pig, chinchilla, and rabbit after its thoughtful design and playing activities, which are usually adored by these pets.
Here, in this small animal cage, you will get the slide-out-tray, water bottle, food box, and attached ramps for the pets to easily climb up and down the row. The grid’s wire spacing present just above the tray is relatively thin, preventing the animal’s feet from getting stuck in there while roaming around in the spacious area.
Well, suppose you are thinking about carrying or portability of the cage. In that case, you need to know that these small animal house pets come with 4 wheels, making transportation easy to different places. However, it is easy to fold and store the cage when it comes to storage when it is not in use.
- Durable: The steel wires used to construct the little home is stable and of rich quality.
- Portability: This small animal pet cage is easy to port and even comes with wheels for making transportation easy.
- Detachable Tray: The tray present at the bottom is removable to make its cleaning easy.
- Water Bottle and Bowl: As an additional accessory, water bottles and bowls make feeding convenient for the pet owner.
- Design: The friendly method is to make living convenient for the little pets.
I have 2 Guinea pigs in this cage. At first, they were unsure about the different levels but now they are all over the cage. They get exercise and seem to love the different views. I did put some plastic covers over the bottom for comfort though. Also, I had to zip tie the ramps down because thee Guinea pigs would jump and knock them down. I don’t consider that a bad thing though.
The small animal house pets it’s spacious and comfortable. I use it for my guinea pig. It was a little tedious to assemble but not impossible, also, I don’t like how the wide the spaces are on the bottom because his food and hay fall through it. However, it’s good for him to run up and down and excessive a bit, he got comfortable with it in two days and that’s good because I don’t get to spend as much time as I’d like to with him due to work and school. Another amazing thing, it comes with the water filter and food container.
7. Kaytee Multilevel Exotics- (Best kaytee rat cage)
If this rat cage cannot please your heart, then we don’t know what can! This Kaytee cage is somewhat the type that you can personally call a perfect home for your little family members.
This kaytee rat cage is available in a sleeking design, compact size, and easy-to-carry method. As you can see, it comes with an ideal space where your pet can roam around freely, play on the levels and do whatever enjoyment this green plastic rat cage can.
You don’t have to worry about its escape in the heart of the fun. There is relatively less spacing between the wires coming with a chew-proof technology.
Even in the basement, the little exotic members would not mess around as the base is deep and covered. So, there is no point that you should be worried about the spilled food, water, or litter.
- Accessory: This multi level exotics cage comes equipped with a food bowl.
- Wire Type: The steel wire is durable and chew-proof.
- Ladder: The ladder design will make playing more exciting.
- Assemble: The assembling of the shelves and other parts of the green plastic rat cage after cleaning is easy.
Purchased this cage for my Teddy Bear Syrian Hamster and he is in heaven! My previous cage was 24 inches by 12 inches and he chewed the bars constantly and I read that they need a lot more room than other hamsters due to their size. This cage is a HUGE upgrade and he’s able to burrow down because the tray is deep enough! He learned the ramps after 20 minutes and loves running up and down them. He doesn’t chew the bars and he’s happy!! Bar spacing is just right for a Syrian hamster.
8. Mcage Small Animal House- (Best mouse cage)
Here we present before you the best rat cage setup, perfect for small pets concerned with the rat family.
This best mouse cage size is relatively compact and space-friendly to be placed in any room of the house. Even when not in use, you can easily fold it and put it wherever you wish to.
Suppose this mcage rat cage is kept idle or even in usage for a longer time. In that case, it will not get damaged or rusted as it is manufactured with good quality steel to enhance its durability.
The mcage 3 level small animal cage bottom tray is also animal-friendly and won’t get affected if the pets spill water over it or scratch it in fun. It comes with two doors, which makes access to the animals easy. So whether you want to take the pets out of the cage or give them food, you can do it easily by either of the available front doors.
- Easy to carry: As the size is compact and the cage is foldable, it is easy to take the cage to any place.
- Accessibility: The front doors make accessibility possible inside the wire rat cage.
- Wire Spacing: The wire spacing is thin enough that even the baby pet’s flexible body won’t cross the cage wire.
Large, easy to assemble, has handles on top making it easy to carry. Because i use this for mice, who can squeeze through almost anything, I did have to use plastic zip ties to pull wider gaps between the bottoms of the doors and the cage together. Would be OK for one rat. Add a high quality wheel. And, so important: The mcage 3 level small animal cage enameled so your pets will not get BumbleFoot disease that happens on uncoated, zinc galvanized wire cages and wheels. Not like cheap habitats with painted wire that mice and hamsters can chew off (that may contain lead).
9. MidWest Homes for Pets Small Animal habitat- (Best cheap rat cage)
Do you want a rat cage that is compact and spacious at the same time? Well, do not consider yourself silly while thinking about this Midwest Homes cage, as this thought is indeed a reality now.
We have brought before you double-story cheap small animal cages that are compact and won’t grab a large floor space.
The most crucial essential it comes with is a bottom pan or tray where your pet can rest itself or where you can place the food bowl and toys.
These cheap plastic animal cages eventually add a sleek look to the cage and won’t get damaged even if you machine-wash it.
- Ramps: These cheap small animal cages come with different ramps for making climbing and sliding easy.
- Tray: At the bottom, there is a tray that is basically placed to add extra comfort.
- Maintenance: The entire care of the cage is easy, including the bottom pan.
This little things is pretty cute! All my rats love them. One of my females even chose to make one into her nest and gave birth in it. Kind of annoying that I can’t see the babies without disturbing them but I’m glad “Dot” liked enough to trust having her babies in there. (She has a white dot in the center of her forehead) My boys seem to argue over theirs. So much so that I’ve taken it out of their cage for a break from the squabbles. It was absolutely one of the best choices for my rats and I intend to buy a couple more of them in the near future.
10. Little Friends Rat and Hamster Cage- (Best cages for rats)
Those who want a rat cage just similar to a birdcage are welcome here.
Yes, this Little Friends cage is quite adorable and just like a birdcage with a little home, ramps, holes for hiding, and a small yet cute food bowl.
This cages for rats design is so perfect that you can even hang it on the wall side for your pet’s different experience.
These cages for pet rats are ideal for little pets such as hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, and other known small animals. Even babies can also live here peacefully.
However, you have to be careful to slide into the hole and be out of appearance.
- Accessories: These pet cages for small animals come equipped with additional accessories.
- Ladders: The ladders come with a special gripping to make movement easy.
- Easy to clean: Although it may not look, these cages for pet rats are easy to clean the bottom.
Love this cage – it looks gorgeous and functions for the rats perfectly. The clips on the side don’t seem to add much security but we continue to use it. The platforms are a great addition, although making the cage more difficult to clean. The pet cages for small animals would have also been nice to have doors on more than one side of the cage – several parts of the cage are unreachable, from the doors so the top needs to be opened (which is a pain when toys/hammocks are attached).
FAQs on Best Rat Cages for 2021
How to Decorate a Rat Cage?
How to handle your pet rat?
If you are going to be a new pet rat owner then it's important to understand how to handle them. First, you will have to ensure that they get used to you. For this, try to carry them around the house in your jumper. Rats like human interaction so make it meet your family members.
Don't make the mistake of picking up the rat by its tail as this can injure them. The correct way of holding it is to put one hand underneath its chest (but behind the forelegs) and use your other hand to support its hind legs. Don't apply too much pressure on the animal and don't squeeze it. Children can hold rats as well but make sure that they don't hold them tightly. Always ensure that children hold them under adult supervision so that no one gets accidentally hurt.
How to make your room rat-proof?
First of all, know that rats will need at least an hour's playtime outside of their cages per day. This will help keep them active and healthy. But you obviously can't let the rats roam around in your garden or your whole house.
They were either get stuck, hide somewhere or will escape. The only solution is to let them play in a room but for that, you need to rat-proof it. To do that follow these steps:
- Keep your doors and windows closed. Also, block any kind of cracks in your floorboards no matter how small and impossible to pass they might seem to you.
- Pass your electric cables through piping so that it can't get chewed.
- Keep your house plants out of the way as some of them are poisonous to rats.
- Don't keep sharp objects like wheels with spokes, knives, pens, pencils, compass, etc lying around. It can cause serious injuries to your pet.
How to ensure proper ventilation for your rats?
Rats can suffer from lung infections or breathing difficulties very easily. So proper ventilation is a major part of the hygiene of your rats. Here are some steps to help you out with ventilation for your rats:
- Make sure that you get wire cages for your rats. Also, keep the wire cages for mice near the window so that they get lots of air and light easily. But light doesn't mean that those little animals will get bombarded with harsh sunlight. Also, know that the ideal temperature to keep is 20°C.
- Keep their cage on a tabletop or somewhere where they are at or near eye level with other people in the room. This way they will get to see what's going on and you will be able to keep an eye on them as well.
- Proper ventilation is also ensured when there's no foul smell in your room as well as in the cage. So keep your room and the keeping rat cage clean. Clean up their droppings and change the water daily. Make sure that you change the bedding periodically as well.
How to ensure that your rat remains healthy?
Apart from proper food and air, you need to ensure that your pet gets plenty of exercise while in the cage. Keep lots of toys and various kinds of toys in the cage.
Create a kind of adventure land for your rats by using ropes, ladders, shelves, toys, and hammocks. Don't put it all on one level of the cage. Construct it in such a manner that it wounds through several levels of the cage. Also, make sure that you dangle treats from the top of the unique rat cages so that your rats stay fed and get some exercise trying to get those treats.
Another less thought of a way to keep your pets healthy is by ensuring that it doesn't get frightened or get anxious all the time. For this, make sure that it knows the people who are living in the house.
Don't keep your rats near TV or music systems as the loud sound can distress them. Also, keep the cage for mice pet away from dogs, cats, and other large house pets who might try to break into it.
How to make bedding for your rats?
Rats need warm and secure boxes to sleep in. Here are some things you should consider when getting bedding for rats:
- For beddings use non-toxic wood chips or shredded paper beddings. You don't have to make wood chips, these are easily available in any online pet store or pet shop.
- Make sure that you don't use pine wood chips or cedar ones because these are toxic for small rats. Along with this, don't use sawdust or wood shavings as it can cause breathing problems for your pet.
- Don't use cotton wool or newspaper. The former can get easily eaten by your pets and then their gut can get blocked. It can also get accidentally wrapped around their legs and prevent them from moving properly. The latter one has ink which will be very toxic to little pets.
- Make the bedding on a solid base. If you have a mouse cage amazon with a wire base then cover it with something thick. This will ensure that there's something solid to keep and make the bed on. This will also help the rats since they will have something solid to walk on.
- Get a nest box for your rats to sleep in as it's quiet, dark, safe and secure. It will provide the ideal place for your rats to rest. If you have albino rats that are sensitive to light then these boxes will be very beneficial to them.
How to Set Up a Rat Cage Like a Pro?
Why Small Rat Cages Don’t Work?
Final Verdict on Best Rat Cages for 2021
Overall, this buying guide and FAQ will certainly go a long way if you are thinking of getting a rat cage for your beloved pet. Now you will be able to decide on the best cage for pet mouse which will keep your pet safe, secure, and entertained.
Apart from the points mentioned above, make sure that you consider your house and its rooms while buying the cage. When you ultimately go to buy, make a shortlist of the models you like. Then make a pros and cons list of them. After careful consideration, decide on the one which suits you and your pet’s needs the best.
Overall, the perfect rat cage should be comfortable for your pet and they should feel safe and secure in them. It should be spacious enough to keep your little friends ventilated properly and give them enough space to move around. Not to mention, there should be different levels in the cage which should keep the animals entertained.
Hopefully, this guide has enriched your knowledge about the kind of cages that are best suited for your pet.
- Top Rated Mole Traps Reviews
- Best Rat Traps Buying Guide