Are you looking for a fan to cool the temperature in your home?
Are you looking for a fan that is flexible to move anywhere you want?
Are you looking for a low-cost alternative to your high energy-consuming air-conditioning system?
If your answer is yes, then, what you need is a box fan.
With over a hundred box fans in the market, it can be a tough job picking one that effectively cools your room. Worry no more as our job is to take the worry of you.
Comparison of Top 10 Box Fan in the Market for 2020
The comparison table below makes it easy for you to make up your mind on the right box fan suited for you. Carefully check the table in order to make a comparison and make informed choices.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Box Fan in the Market at 2020
- 1. Lasko 20-Inch High-Velocity Fan – (Best 20 Inch Box Fan)
- 2. Patton PUF1810C-BM 18-Inch High-Velocity Fan –
- 3. Hurricane box fan –
- 4. Holmes HBF2010AWM 20-Inch Box Fan –
- 5. Vornado 270 Large Flat Fan –
- 6. OPOLAR 8-Inch Desk Fan –
- 7. Holmes HBF2001DP-BM 20-Inch Box Fan –
- 8. OPOLAR 8-Inch Desk Fan –
- 9. Holmes 10-Inch Personal Size Box Fan HABF120W –
- 10. Optimus F-1022 10-Inch Box Fan –
- Considerations before choosing the best box fan in 2020
- FAQs on Best Box Fan for 2020
Top 10 Best Box Fan in the Market at 2020
1. Lasko 20-Inch High-Velocity Fan – (Best 20 Inch Box Fan)
Enjoy ultimate cooling with the Lasko Velocity Fan. The fan has 3-speed settings to ensure that you stay cool for a longer of period time. The fan has a CFM of 3160/LOW, 3320/MED and 3460/HIGH meaning complete comfort at whatever setting. The metal construction guarantees its durability and sturdiness. It comes with 20-inch metal blades for powerful air movement. With the QuickMount feature, the fan can easily be converted from a wall fan to a floor fan. It is fitted with a carry handle for ease of transportation. The fan can become noisy at the highest setting. Apart from this, this is a fan that delivers superior performance all the time. No tool is required for its assembly making it easy to use straight from the box. The Lasko fan is well suited for home use.
- QuickMount – Convert the fan from a wall fan to floor use using the wall mount. The QuickMount allows for flexibility in usage.
- High-velocity fan – Maximum air circulation is guaranteed with three powerful speeds delivering excellent cooling all the time.
- Easy to control – Adjust the fan settings with ease using the front controls
- Built-in carry handle – Carrying the fan from one place to another is super easy with the built-in carry handle. The carry handle brings convenience
The Patton High Velocity Fan is great for cooling, ventilating or drying. The fan moves air widely but not without some humming noise. You can maximize air cooling with the 3-speed setting. It has a CFM of HIGH 2218; MEDIUM 1952 and CFM LOW 1456 which means more air movement. This is suitable for homes, garages and workshops. Its iron metal construction makes it a reliable and durable fan for long-lasting usage. The fan can be adjusted or tilted for more fixed air movement. The fan comes with a safety plug. This is a great safety feature for users.
- Strong motor – The strong and powerful motor with big blade diameters is well designed to distribute cool air all over your room bringing you excellent comfort
- Metal construction – The fan is built strong with metal construction in order to provide long-lasting functionality
- 3-speed adjustment settings – The speed adjustment settings allow you to choose the speed that you desire at any point in time
- Easy to adjust the tilted head – Send air to where it is needed by tilting the head of the fan to the desired direction and enjoy maximum cooling.
3. Hurricane box fan –
The Hurricane fan delivers an ultra-cooling solution. The 3-speed setting helps to keep you cool all day long. A fan is a good option for you if you desire strong at the expense of the fan’s noise. One issue with this fan is that the dial is placed inconveniently instead of being placed on the top of the fan for users’ convenience. However, this does not take away the fact that this is a high performing fan well suited for different environments such as home, office, garage, gym, etc. It has 90 degrees oscillating and an adjusted tilt for precise cooling. It is complemented with a 5 feet 120 volts power cord for your convenient use. It is energy-efficient, lightweight and sturdy.
- Energy-efficient – This is a highly energy-efficient fan. Save more on energy while you enjoy immense comfort.
- Lightweight – This is an extremely lightweight and compact box fan. Its portability makes it easy to carry from one point to another without stress
- Sturdy construction – The fan is built strong to stand the test of time
- 3-speed setting – This feature allows you to choose the comfort level that you want
- 5 feet cord – The cord is long enough for you to conveniently place the fan where it is needed for enjoyable cooling
The Holmes 20-inch box fan is cost-effective to bring comfort to your home. It has 3-speed setting alongside the 20-inch diameter blades provides you with maximum airflow. The fan works perfectly in medium and large-sized rooms. The fan delivers a good amount of air to make you comfortable as far as you don’t mind the noise. It doesn’t oscillate. It is large and bulky in terms of design. The fan has got thumbs up for being energy-saving. Its attached feet guarantee stability. The removable grill makes for easy cleaning. It is best suited for the basement, garage, attic or a shed. If you want something durable and dependable, the Holmes fan is your best bet.
- 3-speed settings – Set and control the fan to the speed that you want. No matter the speed level, what you get is cool airflow that brings optimum relieve to your home.
- Energy-efficient – The fan consumes less energy thereby helping you to save money in the long run. The average cost is two cents per hour
- Powerful blade – With the 20-inch blade, you get maximum airflow and quiet performance all the time
- Sturdy metal – The fan is made sturdy and rugged with a metal frame to make it durable and last for a long time
- Versatility – There is no question about the versatility of the fan. It can be used in different places.
- Easy to clean – Cleaning the fan is easy. Just remove the front grill for easy cleaning
The Vornado 270 is a sleek and powerful fan that provides high performance by moving air up to 80 feet. It is an oscillating fan making it ideal for the home. It comes with 3-speed settings and the highest setting can be a little bit noisy. If you desire flexibility, this fan is made for you since it can be deployed for use in different areas. Vortex Technology helps to push a great amount of air. It is minimalistic in style. It has a contrasting high gloss and textured finish. If you are not sensitive to noise, this is the ideal fan for you.
- Proper room circulation – The Vornado 270 fan easily circulate cool air to the comfort of everyone. It comes with a thermostat to save you energy and money without compromising air quality
- Multiple airflow directions – Air is capably supplied in different directions. Air is delivered horizontally across the room and vertically towards the ceiling. No matter where you are, you won’t miss the cool feeling from the Vernado 270 fan
- 3-speed setting – The 3-speed setting allows you to select comfort at the level you wish to have it. The lowest setting still gives you marvellous comfort and satisfaction
- Superior performance – The fan provides superior performance through its big blades that are able to move air up to 80 feet
- Quiet operation – The fan works quietly without any irritating noise that can disrupt your comfort. Its super quiet operation is unparallel
- Great design – The fan has a beautiful design that gives your home a modern look with its high gloss and textured finish
- Easy to use – The fan is simple and easy to use. It requires no tools to make it functional
- Affordability – The fan is highly affordable meaning spending less for complete family comfort.
The OPOLAR 8-inch fan is a desk fan that brings superb cooling to your home during summer. With 4-speed setting, you are sure of experiencing natural wind flow at a minimum of 500 rpm and a maximum of 1200 rpm. The 4-speed setting makes it the best box fan for mining rig. OPOLAR fan comes with a timer. The timer automatically turns off the fan according to the time set. You don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn off the fan. The timer would take care of that. The fan is convenient to carry using its carry handle to move it from one place to another. The comfort does not stop there. Where there is no electricity supply, the fan remains functional using a USB cable plugged to a computer or power bank. There is also an AC adapter to plug the fan to a wall socket. This is the right box fan for kids’ room. It is also a good box fan for dogs too.
- 4-speed settings – The USB operational fan has four speeds control. Adjust the speed from 1 to 4 to enjoy the cool breeze that comes with any of the settings that you choose
- 7 blades – With 7 blades, you enjoy smooth airflow. It is noiseless making you feel comfortable all the time
- Timer – You forgot to turn off the fan and dash to the office. Don’t worry. With a timer, the fan can turn off itself automatically when it reaches the time set.
- Robust design – The strong base of the fan ensures there is stability while the fan is functioning. This limits vibration when the fan is in operation
- Multi-power support – There is no stopping your comfort with the multi-power support feature. The comfort continues by plugging the fan’s USB to a laptop or a power bank. It can also be used with AC adapter plugged into a wall socket
The 20-inch diameter blade of the Holmes box fan provides cooling relief during the summer heatwaves. Its sturdy metal construction and 3-speed setting make it ideal for both medium and large rooms. The airflow is powerful enough to bring you comfort in a matter of minutes. The 3-speed setting gives you the advantage of improved fan speed from the lowest to the highest. The fan is minimalistic in design, lightweight in size and compact for easy movement. Everyone loves to save money. This is what you achieve in the long run because of its energy-efficient feature. The fan is very loud on the highest setting. If you can contend with the noise, this is a superb cooling solution that pushes amazing air for your unrivalled comfort.
- 3-speed setting – Control your comfort the way you want it with the 3-speed setting. Whatever the setting that you choose, what you get is an ultra-cooling and superb breeze for your immediate comfort
- Energy-efficient – Spend less and save more on energy bills. The fan consumes less energy.
- Quiet and powerful performance – Enjoy maximum airflow and powerful air circulation with the 20-inch blade design that delivers a quiet operation at the lowest and medium settings every time
- Removable front grill – The front grill can be easily removed for easy cleaning
- Metal frame – The sturdy metal frame and attachment feet makes the fan very stable when it is in operation
- Superb cooling – Experience superb cooling that gives you a comfortable feeling when the breeze blows in your direction
- Versatility – The fan is very versatile. It can be used anywhere – kitchens, rooms, workshops, churches, garages, etc.
- Portability – The fan is portable enough to carry with its carry handle
The OPOLAR 8-inch fan is a small but powerful box fan. The fan pulls a lot of air to balance humidity with less noise with its 4-speed settings and 7 blades. The fan draws 0.17 Amp at speed one, 0.35 Amp at speed two, 0.6 Amp at speed three and 0.8 Amp at speed four. It has a brushless powerful motor for long-lasting use. The fan is not rechargeable. It is USB-powered meaning it can function effectively when plugged to your phone’s power bank or PC thereby giving you non-stop cooling. It has a short cord. The fan comes unique with a timer that would automatically turn off the fan. The timer can be set at 1, 2, 4, or 8 hours. It is portable enough to save you a lot of space. The fan consumes just 5 Watts thereby saving you energy and money. The fan is perfectly suited for homes and offices.
- USB and adapter powered – Plug in the fan using a USB or AC adapter and continue to experience ultra-cooling solution.
- 4-speed setting – The speed setting can easily be adjusted based on the hours that you want the fan to function. There is the option of 1-2-4-8 hours setting.
- Timer – The timer gives you the opportunity to set a time when the fan will automatically turn off.
- 7 blades and quiet operation – The 7 blades allow the wind to blow smoothly. The fan operates quietly for your unrivalled comfort.
- 90 degrees rotation – You can adjust the rotation of the fan from 0 to 90 degrees. The adjustment makes the fan to reach all the areas in the room.
- Sturdy base – There is a rubber attached to the base of the fan. The sturdy base ensures more stability by reducing vibration when operational
Immerse yourself in comfort with the Holmes personalized box fan. This is the box fan for window smooth ventilation. Its 2-speed setting feature gives it away as a fan that doesn’t blow a tornado-like breeze but provides a decent airflow for a fan of its size. Its 10-inch diameter blade delivers adequate air circulation and cooling for personalized comfort. The fan is lightweight and portable. The Holmes 10-inch box fan is well designed for the home environment.
- 10-inch blade diameter – The 10-inch blade diameter distributes air effectively to all corners to perfectly give you the cooling effect that your body needs to reduce humidity in your home
- 2-quiet speed setting – Get powerful cool breeze with the two-speed setting. The setting allows you to enjoy the cool breeze at your chosen setting
- Lightweight – The fan is lightweight and portable making it easy to be carried from one place to another.
- Quiet operation – The box fan operates quietly due to its quiet motor
The Optimus F-1022 box fan is a cost-effective and energy-saving compact fan that can be used for different purposes. It can serve as a window fan. It can also be used inside the car as a car fan. This is a nice kids fan and good for the cooling of pets. Its 10-inch diameter fan blades provide you decent cooling in your home with its 2-speed settings. It is moderate when it comes to the noise level. It is not too quiet and not too loud making the noise level very reasonable. It has just one controller. It is easy to transport using the carry handle.
- 2-speed setting – Depending on your mood, you can choose the setting that suits you. Any of the two settings will definitely give you satisfactory air cooling.
- Easy to carry – The carry handle makes it easy to carry the fan to where it is needed. It is lightweight, compact and portable.
- No assembly required – The fan requires no assembly. Start experiencing great cooling out of the box.
- Quiet operation – The fan delivers top performance quietly because of its super quiet operation motor
- Ease to use – The fan requires no tools before using it. This makes it easy and convenient to use.
Considerations before choosing the best box fan in 2020
Using a box fan to cool your home or office is one of the energy-saving and cost-effective ways to tackle heat waves during the summer. The cost of running a box fan is far lesser compared to energy-sucking and expensive air-conditioners. Box fans move air around pretty fast and help to keep a balanced humidity level in your home. Apart from this, a box fan perfectly ventilates a dusty room, keeps the laptop cool and can easily dry up mopped floors quickly. Choosing the right box fan can be a daunting task. This review is made to help you make the right choice. Read on as we make a review of the 10 best box fans. Before that, it is important to understand what a box fan is.
What is a box fan?
A box fan also known as a floor fan is a device for circulating air in order to keep the home cool and comfortable.
Before you purchase a box fan, there are important features to look out for. Ignoring these features may technically mean you have purchased an ineffective fan. Here are the 10 things to look out for when purchasing a box fan.
CFM stands for “cubic feet per minute”. The CFM gives you an idea of how much air the fan is able to circulate. A high CFM means more air movement across the room.
Noise level –
A box fan’s noise level is another important feature you must look out for. Most box fans make irritating noise especially when it functions at the highest setting. You don’t want a fan that would bring you discomfort by disturbing your sleep. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know a fan’s noise level when you are trying to purchase one online. The manufacturers of these fans won’t indicate the noise level. This makes it very difficult to find out. One way to solve this problem is to check at a local store.
Safety is important when buying a box fan especially if you have kids around. Look for a fan that the grills are well fitted. Kids who insert their fingers into a fan when the blade is running could injure themselves. Also, you don’t want a fan that would easily trip off and injure someone. Ensure that the fan has a sturdy base for proper stability.
Ease of cleaning –
How easy is it to clean the box fan? The answer to this question is a pointer to the type of fan that you want to buy. You would want to regularly clean your fan. For some fans, reaching the blades for a thorough cleaning is easy while for others, it is a difficult task.
Some box fans have oscillation mode. Oscillation is ideal for larger rooms. When in oscillation mode, the movement of air is able to reach more people.
Can you easily adjust the fan? This is a critical question to answer when purchasing a box fan. How easy is it to adjust the height or tilt the fan in the direction it is most needed? Adjustability is a key feature to make you enjoy cooler freeze.
Remote control –
For convenience’s sake, a remote control is needed to easily control the fan. It is not every time you would like to walk to the fan and press a button. The remote control makes things super easy for you.
Will the size of the fan fit perfectly in the room? Again, this is a question you need to answer appropriately. You would need a fan that is not out of shape. Something that is not too small or too big. All you need is something portable and effective.
Speed settings –
The speed settings are an important factor that you must also look out for when purchasing a box fan. There are 2, 3 or 4-speed settings. The higher the speed setting, the cooler the breeze.
You can never overlook a warranty when purchasing a box fan. Always look for a fan with at least one year warranty. It saves you a lot of headaches in the long run.
FAQs on Best Box Fan for 2020
How to Clean a Box Fan?
The best time to clean your box fan is just before the summer. The heatwaves become so terrible when summer sets in. Laziness has made many people throw away their box fans every year due to the chunk of dirt that blows out of the fan when it is set to the highest speed. A box fan consists of different parts. It has a cord, motor, switch, fan blades, two plastic grills and metal or plastic frames. All of these parts have to be cleaned thoroughly to ensure the optimum performance of the fan.
Tools required to clean a box fan
- Garden hose with sprayer
- A clean and damp cloth
- Vacuum cleaner
These are the guide to cleaning a box fan
-Disconnect the fan from its power source
The first thing you have to do when you want to clean a box fan is to disconnect the fan from its power source. This is a safety measure.
-Remove the grills
The next thing is to get a 4-way screwdriver. Some of the fans have 12 screws that tighten the front and the back grill to the case. There are 6 screws in the front and 6 at the back. Ensure that you remove all the screws holding the grills. Put the screw where it won’t get lost. Then, take off the grill.
-Clean the grill
Clean the grill either by using a garden hose sprayer to spray off dirt or take them to the shower to clean the grills properly. Ensure you get out all the specks of dust in the grills. When you are done, allow it to dry properly.
-Cleaning the fan blades and motor
When you want to start cleaning the fan blades and the motor, start by removing the dust on the motor. Look at the backside of the motor, there are usually stored dirt there. Clean it thoroughly. Use a vacuum cleaner hose to remove the bags of dust. Be careful when you are doing this so as not to damage the copper wire inside the box fan. Water should not touch the motor. Then, clean the blades with water and liquid soap mixed together. Dip a clean cloth in the solution and clean the blades. You can use another clean and dry cloth to dry the blades’ front, back and sides. Also, wipe the inside of the fan case. Allow them to dry well. You may ask: how long does it take for box fan to dry? Well, it takes less than 20 minutes.
-Put them together
After drying them, it is time to put them together. Now, screw the fan back to its case. Plug the fan to the wall socket and test it. You will notice that it has an improved airflow better than what it was before it was cleaned.
-Purchase a filter
A filter is usually placed at the back of the fan. A filter helps to keep a fan box cleaner for a longer period. The filter catches dirt easily in order to make the fan to function perfectly. An air filter for box fan is very important.
How to Fix a Box Fan?
Many box fans are thrown out every year just after one year of purchasing them. Instead of thinking of how to fix the problem, some owners prefer purchasing a new one. This is because box fans are highly affordable. If your box fan suddenly stopped working, look for a way to fix it in order for it to last longer. This is a troubleshooting guide that could help you to fix your fan.
Check the cord –
Well, you would say this is commonsense. But not many people remember to check the cord if it is properly plugged in. After using the fan for some time, vibrators from the fan motor can loosen the plug from the outlet
Check your circuit breaker –
If you plug in the fan and nothing happens, the next thing is to check the circuit breaker. It is likely that the circuit breaker has been turned off. If the breaker has been turned off, just turn it on again.
Check power to the outlet –
If you have tried the two troubleshooting steps above and there is no luck, next is to check the power to the outlet. Try to plug in the fan to a different outlet. If it turns out that the fan worked in a different outlet, it means what you have is an electrical fault. You can check for the flow of current to your outlet using a tester. If it remains the same, it is time to call an electrician
Check the fan fuse –
Do you need a fuse for a box fan? This is a question many inexperience users ask. Of course, fans generally have a thermal fuse for safety purposes. Just like the circuit breaker, these fuses help to break the electrical connection when too much electricity makes the fan to overheat. When a fuse melts, it breaks the connection and cuts power supply to the fan. Look out for the fuse inside your fan and the cord. If you are confused, check the owner’s manual or Google the model number of the box fan.
Replace the cord –
If the fan didn’t still work after plugging it to a different outlet, you have to check the cord very carefully. It is likely the cord is the suspect. Just replace it.
Clean the box fan –
Cleaning the fan is another troubleshooting option. There is a likelihood the dirt has overpowered the fan. The fan blades may have stopped working due to too much dirt. This is the time to thoroughly wash the fan.
Grease the motor –
Due to long use, it is possible that the fan stopped working due to the fact that the motor makes noise and the blades refuse to move. This is the best time to grease the fan. Just unscrew the motor housing and apply some grease.
Call customer support –
If you have tried all these troubleshooting steps and still no luck, try to reach out to the customer support of the manufacturer of the fan. They can put through a DIY step to fix the one.
Purchase a new fan –
If it turns out that you have to buy a new box fan, you have to choose wisely by choosing an upgraded version of the old fan.
How to make a box fan quieter?
Dirt can make a box fan very noisy. So, the easiest way to make a box fan quieter is to remove the dirt. Once the fan is well cleaned, you will notice that the fan will start to run quietly. This means you can is now in order.
You may watch this detailed video on how to clean a box fan:Video Transcript:
Watch this cool video on How to REPAIR a box fan!Video Transcript:
Short FAQs on box fans:
How many amps does a box fan use?
Most box fans don’t use more than 0.8 amps.
How much does it cost to run a box fan for a month?
It costs less than 5 cents per month.
How much electricity does a box fan use?
A fan box consumes less than 5 Watts of electricity.
A box fan is an excellent option to regulate humidity in your room. The reality is that the box fan is affordable and easy to use. We highly recommend Lasko 20-Inch High-Velocity Fan because of its QuickMount feature. The OPOLAR 8-Inch Desk will be another excellent choice because of its 4-speed setting. We also recommend the Holmes 10-Inch Personal Size Box Fan HABF120W for its affordability. Any of these options will deliver superior cooling and high-quality performance. It is high time you purchased a box fan to enjoy the ultra-cooling solution that is befitting of your home.